HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2004, 03:35 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Nice Video Jim did you shoot that yourself while flying? (sorta looks that way ) I'll be building my Firebat starting this week, just have to order a few more parts, so I'll have it flyable by the first week of June. Thanks again for all your tips and tricks!!!!
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2004, 05:00 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Yeah, I rubberbanded the cam to my head, it sat on my nose.

Unfortunately I destroyed this plane the very next flight, I sent it up as high as I could see it and cut the power to see how long I could keep it in the air. I forgot to secure the gearbox to the stick, the back pressure pushed it off. I got away with it for several flights, but it's necessary to secure it so this doesn't happen, I just held off because I was with the build thread. Anyways, I notice the plane isn't flying right....and a bird is chasing it...not uncommon in the desert. So I hit the power to get away and chunks flew, the "bird" chasing the plane was a dangling gearbox and prop. The prop managed to cut both tails off, 1 aileron and chewed up most the tail end before it pulled loose from the JST connector and fell to the ground. The plane was so out of wack it just sorta fluttered to the ground. To give an idea how high it was, all the surgery happened before the sound reached my ears.
Oh well, I almost have the other one finished already.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old May 08, 2004, 05:12 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
Maidened mine this morning. It flew ok, but needed a bit more thrust. I was running an 8x6 GWS sf prop on eight 650 KANS. I will up the prop to 9x7 for tomorrow. It came in a bit heavy at 21 ounces. I used the substitution of rudder parts for the canards and used a Naro Max BB for the canard servo. I made the piviot point 3.5 inches up from the trailing edge of the canard. Moved the rear servo back about 5" from the tail figuring the wire and channel weighed nearly as much as the servo. No additional weight was needed for ballance. It glides nice and seems to have no bad habits. I think it would carry 1050 KANs and an AXI 2808/20 just fine, if the 9x7 doesn't make it. I would use an Aero-Naut 8x6 folder on that. Thanks for the inspiration Jim.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old May 08, 2004, 06:36 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
I am wondering, how did yours get so heavy??? What made it reach 21 oz, did you glass the plane or something? I am not familiar with the servos you used, are they simialr in size and weight to the HS-55 or heavy standard servos? The 7 cell KAN 1050 version I did a while back flew at 16 oz, I used the 10x8 prop when these GB's still used 370 motors. If you have the 370 motor, maybe try that or the 10x4.7 for the 350 motor. Careful of the 8th cell.
I use to have a 2808/20, man that thing will be insane, use a 10x4.7 APC slowfly prop. I wonder what one of these would be like with my PJS 1000 on the back.
I stayed up late until 3am finishing the replacement for the one I crashed. Maidened it this morning, no probelm, I didn't neutralize the radio trim, it flew exactly the same.
Old May 09, 2004, 06:26 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
It is not glassed. I have eight 650 KANs in the nose. The NARO MAX weighs 14 gm or half an ounce and I use an HS55 in the rear. There was no paint but tape on the leading edge of the wing and bottom of the fuse. I guess using the rudder parts for the canard added some weight and the little bits added up. It glides fine so I think it will take even a bit more weight without getting too wierd.

edit - flew this morning with the 9x7 and it was better. Probably would stay with that but the motor popped loose on landing so I will switch over to the AXI. What amazes me is that it flies just like a normal layout. I don't know what I expected with the canard, but at least something different. At least it looks different. It looks like there are still some in stock - if so my buddy is going to get one, he likes the way it looks and sees potential for flight; you can't beat the price.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; May 09, 2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old May 09, 2004, 12:09 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what happened with that?? Tower website error I guess, they had both the deluxe and standard version listed as "limited quantities" for a couple days. Then it went back to normal status. I'm glad to see they are still here, still a bargain at 29.99.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 09:29 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
any updates?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:29 PM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Jul 2002
185 Posts
Built mine just as recomended in this thread except for one thing. I used the GWS gearbox with C gearing, but put a Razor 2500 in it, with an E-tech 3s1p 1200. This baby cooks!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't flown it in a month. Had a baby boy with the missus on June 2nd. I've been itchin to get it in the air, but it's been hard to find the time.

I've been thinking about starting a new thread (continuous of this one) entitled: "If you have a Razor 2500 and $30.00, You got a winner!"

Thanks for the advice/input. I tried to fly mine stock, with a 400 & gearbox, with a Cobalt, but no such luck.

I'd be happy to help anyone out. The only thing I don't like about this bird is it looks kind of goofy in the air (looking at it directly from below). But high speed low fly-bys are awesome.

Thanks.

Andrew
anywaste is offline Find More Posts by anywaste
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:26 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
I haven't started mine yet, I'm still working on a Wattage F-22 which is turning into the kit from Hades Since it's the first kit I've put together, I have nothing to base it on, but if I have as much trouble attaching the stabalators on every other jet I build, I'm going to start screaming.

One thing I did buy for this plane is a "reverse timed" 400 can motor, I bought 3 off em off of Ebay, and ones going in the Firebat, the F-22 and one in a Flying Styro F-16, as I don't have hundreds of bux to spend on brushless set-up's and Li-Po's.
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Jul 25, 2004, 06:43 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
Well, got my kit..not bad at all for $30 bucks!.. plan to use a himax in the gws gearbox, 3s tanic 850s and glass the bird. Glassing should add 1-2 oz max and lots of rigidity.

What are the canards servo requirements?.. the himax ranges from 115 to 175 watts in power.. what about prop size?.. should I worry about getting whacked by the prop?

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:32 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Hermperez,

I believe I read in another thread that the designer recommended servos capable of 50oz of torque. Hope that helps, good luck with your Bat.
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:38 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,352 Posts
Hi Guys,
after flying mine a while with a Speed 400 pusher setup I start to convert it to edf . look here

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Jul 26, 2004, 03:16 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Very nice looking Firebat! Makes me want to go buy another now!
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Jul 26, 2004, 05:16 AM
FoamBoard Pilot
South Africa
Joined Aug 2002
97 Posts
Firebat very very alive . . .beware

Had one of these babies last year, but crashed it severe. It`s a very alive plane/jet, but beware of the canards. I found that they dont always provide enough lift to get out of sticky situations. Mine would just not pull out of a dive, completely if the elevator servo failed on me. Sometimes it would work and others not like the last crash.
Since then i modified it to use VTAIL mixing and ELEVON MIX. She still alive, but i like the new setup better. I have had a couple of nasty launches that ended in crashes

She needs a new nose by now . . . .i will built her one with correx plastic

Enjoy the bats , but beware of the fire . . . .
LevelUphill is offline Find More Posts by LevelUphill
Old Jul 26, 2004, 07:31 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCobra
Very nice looking Firebat! Makes me want to go buy another now!
ThX, I will repaint the GTR as the conversation is finished ! For me the Firebat(or Foxbat in german) is only a teststand for the edf drive (WeMoTec Microfan with AC1215/12 on 3SK1500HD Lipos)

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi