SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:30 AM
Joined Aug 2003
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP
The old 300 motors were actually timed to run better as a pusher. The 350 motors are neutral timed, they will run in either direction the same. They are a slightly hotter wind and will draw more amps with the same prop.

Len
If this is they case, I wonder if using a 300 would be a better choice? Anyone compare these in pusher mode?
Beeb is offline Find More Posts by Beeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
In regards to using a 300 series(370 motor), I did use them originally, but they are supposedly replaced by the 350 motors.

Well, it's done, the final weight is 14.6 oz. Not bad, according to the chart, there are several set-ups that can meet or exceed this weight in thrust, not that thats necessary to make this fly. Light weight clear vinyl, tape can be used too, has been applied to the points that come in contact with the ground. I applied it to the lower wingtips, entire lower keel, and a spot on the nose. I am seriously considering painting this one with the brush acrylics, the tape will need to be removed for painting, then re-applied. The rear canopy is held on by a strip of tape on each side. The forward underside of the forward canopy has a length of bamboo epoxied to it to act as a hook. Adjust it so it pulls it down to the fuse, you don't want it rattling up/down. Towards the aft area, a small section of bamboo is epoxied across the width of the interior fuse, a small rubber band is strapped to it. A small hook made from a pin is epoxied to the canopy, the rubberband pulls this down to the fuse. A pair of rare earth magnets could be used at the mating surfaces of the fwd and aft canopy. Also, 2 small lengths of pushrod shielding is added to the forward fuse half of the aileron pushrods. I didn't bother with the 3 piece canard pushrod, I bent my own single wire.
Pics to come later this week.
I hope you find this plane enjoyable, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
ONE LAST THING: Because I had the gearbox on and off so many times during the build, I forgot to mention the gearbox does need to be secured. Back pressure will push it off when it's not running, I crashed one of my first planes because of this, and now I repeated it with this one...duuuh!
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Last edited by AMTJIM; May 07, 2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 02, 2004, 10:57 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
So did anyone try this? I did the maiden of mine earlier, tried to video myself flying, but I was in and out of the screen. I am able to save images as pics from video footage, I'll post some tonight or tomorrow. The flights went great, not quite unlimited vert, but continuous 80' climbout. Rolled axial and fast, loops are about a 10ft diameter, super stable. Has a good top speed, a great alternative to anything GWS has to offer, in my opinion.
Old May 02, 2004, 11:33 PM
Joined Mar 2004
33 Posts
canards,cg,where to measure cg.

Did you use the stock canards ? Some have said to use replacment vertical stabs in place of the stock ones. Also is your CG per the manual and where did you measure it. Next to the fuse or out 175mm on the wing? Thanks...
classic_742 is offline Find More Posts by classic_742
Old May 03, 2004, 12:59 AM
Hayward, Ca
Joined May 2004
53 Posts
My first attempt at the Firebat proved that I could build a foam shotput. I have since learned about reversing the prop. I am trying to get an ideal of the proper weight. My bats have usually ended up very tail heavy. My lates one is loaded with an astro 020, castle esc, and 1100 mah nicad pack. Should I be weighing the plane without motor, battery, and electronics?
sturdybird46 is offline Find More Posts by sturdybird46
Old May 03, 2004, 10:08 AM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
At Clasic, I did use the stock canards on this one, but replacing them with a spare set of stabs does help it perform better. Harriers better and has a much slower low end flying speed. Somtimes this plane goes into a small tuck at higher speeds, the vert stabs also seem to remedy this. I need to get with a friend that I gave my last set of verts to, I couldn't find the measurments for canard shaft placement. My CG location is 1.5 CM(15mm) aft of the vertical break where the 2 fuse halves meet. I do mark it on the wings for ease of balance.

At Sturdybird, the flying weight is whats important, weight it with all the equipment. Other than that, I am not really familiar with the Astro 020 and all it's possibilities. If I remember correctly from the ones I have seen, you may want to use a servo no smaller than the HS-81's(you may just want to go ahead and use standard servos). Make sure you drive the canard allen screw through the brass tube, it will slip for sure at the speed this thing will probably fly. As for CG problem, read below.
However you choose to attempt to power you firebat, it's always best to use small bits of tape to tape the entire plane together to see where your choice of equipment will sit to achieve CG. It's much easier to mod the the plane before pieces are permanently assembled.
I'll post some pics later.
Old May 03, 2004, 10:44 AM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Take-off series of pics. Starting with a light, "paper airplane" type throw and into an good climb.
Old May 03, 2004, 10:57 AM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
A bank from flight 2. Flies out of the cam eye, then back in.
Old May 03, 2004, 11:17 AM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Here's the final set-up
Old May 05, 2004, 09:11 AM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
I am going to try to either use some AIPTEK footage or something from my Cannon. Hopefully I can use the schools cable internet to transfer the video, anyone want to host the video or how do I use the EZONE video?
Old May 05, 2004, 05:44 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
OKAY...I have a decent 3 min AIPTEK video of the firebat...anyone want to host it? I'll ask in the AP section too.
Old May 05, 2004, 05:49 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Probably need to convert it to a WIN WMV or as a "real" movie and just upload it in the files section under your name.
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old May 05, 2004, 11:10 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Well, I tried to just download it like a pic, I have no idea if it was working or not. It didn't say it wouldn't work, but there is no task time bar, so I have no idea what happened. How long would 305 MB take??
Old May 06, 2004, 03:49 AM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,402 Posts
LOL! 305Mb? On a V56 modem, thats a few days I expect! Downloads should be 30Mb max for video, ideally 3Mb or less. Try compressing with a utility (like Windows Movie Maker).
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old May 07, 2004, 12:01 PM
"Bible Thumper"
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
OK, here's the video, hosted by RC Groups, forgive the quality, it's AIPTEK cam. It's 2 MB, runs for 1min 26 sec. Hope you enjoy it.
http://amtjim.rchomepage.com/FBX.WMV