HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2001, 04:55 PM
Port Stephens NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2001
249 Posts
Tiger Moth maiden flight YES!! woohoo!

Well folks it flies !

I know I dont have to tell you all what a buzz it was.
As a beginner with no rc flying experience at all I was so proud.

I gave up trying to ROG so I bit the bullet and hand launched it.
Flew for at least a minute with turns and even landed it (sort of plop).

Wish I had a camera to show you guys the plane.

Anyway now for my next question............I need more battery power!
Instead of wasting my money buying spare 110mah nicads I want to get something better.
Until aussie slowflyer can supply the lithium cells I might try the Nimh cells.

Whats the story with Nimh cells?
What size pack works in the TM?
Will my Xing charger work with them?
Do they have any disadvantages? (lower voltage)
Where can I source some cheap?
AussieParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by AussieParkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2001, 05:17 PM
Tree Trimmer
Warren TWP NJ
Joined May 2001
381 Posts
Ive been using 7 and 8 cell nimh in my tigermoth, nice long flight times. when I get motivated Ill put my tanderin batteries in. But right now the NIMH batteries give sufficient flight times. You will have to carve out the battery tray a little but they will fit. I just wedge mine in. I got my batteries at www.radicalrc.com. Im not sure if your charger will work for these batteries but somebody will know.
rays89 is offline Find More Posts by rays89
Old Dec 26, 2001, 05:31 PM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Well done Pete!! so you are a flyer now
NiMh's = good for GWS motors
Do a search here for NiMh or Hydrides and you will discover a wealth of info ,but in short- NiMh's or nickle metal hydride batteries offer about twice the mA's for weight over normal cadmium cells
Now for the down side-- most NiMh's wont fit in the STD moth battery bay On my litesticks and fulfuse sticks I use packs made from GP NiMh cells Part Number GP28AAAM1A a seven cell pack is 70mmX30mmX10mm and weighs 50 grams These are 280mA cells
If you are going to use these in your moth I would suggest using Velcro or similar to mount them under the nose of your moth to save hacking the foam?
NiMh's are fine for the current draw of the GWS motors and with throttle management I usually get 10-15 min flights out of these cells. Hydrides are the same voltage as Cadmiums but Hydrides have a greater internal cell resistance than NiCd cells (ie they dont push as hard) and this is usually overcome by adding an extra cell so for the moth I would recommend a 7 cell pack ( I use 7+8 cells) As for charging these cells- you reallyshould use a charger that is designed for Hydrides.. they have a much smaller peak when charging and some NiCd chargers won't detect it- if your charger doesnt you are going to have to hook up a voltmeter and watch it like a hawk as soon as the pack hits a upper level and starts to lose voltage by the voltmeter you are done.
Hydrides cannot withstand the abuse we throw at our Nicads either and need to be charged no more than 1.5-2C -- with these smaller ones I have described above really no more than 1C-- i.e. charge rate no higher than 300mA- they will also take 5-10 cycles to come up to their true potential
As far as sourcing them -- Give Frontline a ring -- they might know a local supplier? Do you have a BATTERYWORLD nearby-- thats where I got all my packs (before the lithiums ) but our local batteryworld guy is also an RC distributor..
Give Erica a ring at Kellets-- I think GWS now has NiMh packs I might be wrong?
If all else fails I reckon the moth could handle a 6-7 pack of STD AAA nicads 250-300mA Sanyo Cadnicas N250AAA again strapped to the bottom of the moth these packs weigh 74 grams and are
70mmX45mmX10mm in dimensions
Expect each pack of either to be around the 30-40 buck mark(being over generous -- should be cheaper)
If you have any probs finding them locally e-mail me and we shall see what I can do for you
aussie slowman is offline Find More Posts by aussie slowman
Old Dec 26, 2001, 08:31 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Aussie Parkflyer, Congratulations!

Welcome to the Tigermoth Squadron.

My vote is for the 300mah NiMH 7 cell packs, I had to cut about 6mm of foam from each side of the battery compartment so they would fit. Hold them in with velcro glued to the top. I get about 16 to 17 minutes per pack. I also use 8 cell packs but actually like the 7 better.

The LiIon are even better at duration but 15 minutes each is plenty for me.

Good luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Dec 27, 2001, 12:19 AM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Welcome to the TM Squadron!!

Leaving some power on smooths out the landings.

I use 6 360 mah "N" sized Nimh, soldered end to end. They are the same exact size the old 110 mah Nicad pack no foam cutting required), weigh exactly the same, deliver the same performance but it flys for over 10 min per charge.

I'm not really sure how long it will go, because I have always landed after 10 -15 minutes ( long enough for me)

I got them at the Radio Shack store chain here in the U.S. but they are a standard industrial size battery. Radio Shack is a consumer electronics store chain, not a model place. Oriented towards, cell phone batteries, cordless telephones etc.

Must be some equivalent down your way. If not, just try to find the "N" size at the best price mail order. Nice that they fit right in at the same weight.

They are charged on my peak detecting "Sirius" brand charger at the 250 mah setting or over night at 40 ma. Many flights, they seem to be holding up just fine.

BTW, the end to end soldering ( my first try) was a non event. You do need to make a simple V fixture to let them slide together and to use a 40 W pencil type iron, well tinned. A solder gun will not work, just destroy batteries.

If you are not experienced with soldering, I would suggest you not try this. It is simple, but unforgiving of any mistakes.

Most suppliers offer an number of cell configurations. The one you want for this is 2 rows of 3 batteries in series.

|---||---||---| +
|---||---||---| -

Check the Ezone for all kinds of mods, steerable tailwheel (easy) more scale wheels and so forth

Any Enamel paint is safe to use on foam if you want to add the camoflage color scheme, but use an airbrush to avoid adding weight!

Enjoy !!!

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Dec 27, 2001, 12:23 AM
Joined Dec 2001
249 Posts
lithium 9v

would one of these work in a tiger moth?

"Ni-Mh Rechargeable Batteries 9 VOLT 150mAh"
$19.95 jaycar electronics
Old Dec 27, 2001, 02:06 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I've used radio shack and rayovac NiMH brand 9v batteries and they both work well for me in the tigermoth. Other brands did not work out quite so well (prop run of 30 secs before bec cut out)
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Dec 27, 2001, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2001
249 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Mikey-flies I might just try that
the batteries and chargers are pretty cheap at Jaycar.
Old Dec 27, 2001, 11:05 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I'm also curious but sceptical how the Jaycar nimh 9V would perform. My moth is overweight so I don't think it would drive mine. I fly on 7 280mah nimh cells with good climb. With 6 cells the climb is poor but like I mentioned my moth is fat. Got my nimh cells from battery pro and soldered them up. I sit my cells in the front pilot seat and hold them down with velcro.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Dec 27, 2001, 07:45 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2001
9 Posts
300mah NiMh 7 cell pack for Tiger Moth

Hi Aussie Parkflyer,

E-Flite has a battery that will fit in the Tiger Moth with just a little shaping in the battery compartment.

The 300mah NiMh 7 cell pack will last you about 12 - 15 min no problem.

Horizonhobby has this battery for $27.00 and the Hyper link is below I hope this will work of you. You might be able to make one for yourself for less.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at=APB#listing

Rick
Highflyer is offline Find More Posts by Highflyer
Old Dec 27, 2001, 08:24 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
$27?! Don't buy it there. Buy it from Dave at www.radicalrc.com for $15
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Dec 27, 2001, 08:38 PM
tyler, texas, united states
Joined Mar 2001
639 Posts
dont do that either

GET THE LI-ON CELLS!

you wont be disapionted! i guarante it. 30 minutes of flying time

email mark and get the " 10 packa and charger special" for 38 bucks
barn buster 50 is offline Find More Posts by barn buster 50
Old Dec 27, 2001, 09:16 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
barnbuster-
"email mark and get the " 10 packa and charger special" for 38 bucks"
whats the email address, website????
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Dec 27, 2001, 09:30 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Dec 2001
9 Posts
Thanks Spaulding,

That is why this forum is so great, each other helping others get what they need and for the best price.

I will buy it from Dave at www.radicalrc.com for $15

Thanks,

Rick
Highflyer is offline Find More Posts by Highflyer