HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2001, 02:25 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
What should I get: Airtronics Vanguard or Hitec focus 4?

I just need a new 4 channel tx to work with a gws pack and I am deciding between these two. I know Hitec is good because I have a SS. Anybody like the Airtronics Vanguard?
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2001, 03:06 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
You might want to consider the new Hitec Laser. I think that www.servocity.com will sell you just the transmitter.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Dec 26, 2001, 06:20 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
too expensive. I am considering just these two because I can get them used. I would like someone's opinion on the Airtronics.
Old Dec 26, 2001, 07:16 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Well that's a different story. Does the Airtronics have any mixing, etc? The Focus 4 is a good TX but has no additional features.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Dec 26, 2001, 08:43 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
If you plan on using the flight packs you have, go with the Hitec. The pulse of the Airtronics is different than the Hitec/Futaba.. You would have to get new receivers compatable with the Airtronics. The suggestion was made about a Laser radio. Nice unit! It has mixing,reversing and other whistles and bells for a great price. Having mixing/elevon ability on a transmitter is something that I will NOT do without flying electrics! I have a Focus 3 FM that I swear by! I have looked at the Laser 6 for my next radio.
Good Luck,
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Dec 26, 2001, 10:20 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
does the focus 4 have mixing? Sell me on the advantages of mixing
Old Dec 27, 2001, 04:15 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
The Focus 4 has no mixing, but the new laser series does.

Mixing will allow the use of flying wings and V-tails.

Both the Focus and Laser have no memeries though. I would look more at the Hitec FlashX series, which have 5 model memories and are well proven.

They can be had used also or purchaced new at Hobby Horse or Servocity.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 27, 2001, 08:32 AM
Van
New York
Joined Nov 2001
343 Posts
I have the Airtronics Vangaurd radio, and I'm real happy with it. I don't know how compatible it is with GWS stuff, though.

If you already have a hitec or futaba with a trainer cord jack, then I would choose the hitec (those two are interchangeable). For the airtronics, you'll need to stick with that brand.
Van is offline Find More Posts by Van
Old Dec 27, 2001, 09:08 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2000
725 Posts
I've used Airtronics Vanguard radios for years (on slimers). They work fine. Recently I got a new xtal for a GWS receiver and began using one of my old Vanguard transmitters (a 6 channel with dual rates). It works with the GWS 4 channel receiver without any problems. A 4 channel Vanguard should work fine too. Be SURE to get the JR/Airtronics shift receiver ... or it won't work.

Tom
columbiarcdude is offline Find More Posts by columbiarcdude
Old Dec 27, 2001, 11:01 AM
Joined Dec 2001
64 Posts
I started with a 4ch Airtronics Vanguard, it's a good but basic radio. For not much more you can
get a used 6ch which has dual rates which are nice. But it's true that the modulation is different so if you want to mix and match TX's and
RX's you'll want to stay with Hitech or Futaba. JR
is compatible with Airtronics which is why when I
bought a computer radio I went with JR.

Good luck!
doodle is offline Find More Posts by doodle
Old Dec 27, 2001, 11:46 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Just bought a Laser 6 from Servo City for $69.95! If you don't need or want to pay for the model memory check it out. I use a setup card in place of model memory which for me works better than me trying to remember to change models.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Dec 27, 2001, 12:35 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
I settled on the Laser 4 for $59 at Servocity. Yeah, the 6 was only $10 more but I'm a cheapskate. If anyone wants a used Focus 4 there is one on Ebay ending tonight.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1681107418

On a sidenote, I got one of those Firebird toys for Christmas from someone who didn't know better and got it stuck up in a really high tree. Good riddance!