HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2004, 08:36 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
New CD-Rom Brushless Motor Company and online Hobby Shop Conversion Motor Works

There is a new company making Conversion CD-Rom Brushless Motors. It is called Conversion Motor Works.
We are making Custom CD-Rom Motors to fit your needs. We have motors for the GWS EDF50 fan unit and we can make Direct Drive motors to gearbox motors.Thanks for looking and check out the website it is still under construction but more info & stuff will being added all the time. We will also be selling more than custum made outrunner brushless motors. We will be selling kits and electronics. There are some kits on the site the electronics are coming soon. We hope to be a 1 stop shopping spot for your electric Rc needs.
The new web address is

www.conversionmotorworks.com
T_Hill is offline Find More Posts by T_Hill
Last edited by T_Hill; Apr 22, 2004 at 11:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2004, 08:24 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
hi, interesting idea.
please let us know why it would be worth it for us to buy your conversion kit when we could build our own for about $10 or buy a commercial unit for $10 to $15 less than what you are charging?
thanks
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Apr 05, 2004, 09:11 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
beanie.

First, it's not a conversion kit. It's finished motor, ready to go in the fan or in a gearbox. It can also be had already in a fan housing with a 5 blade fan or in a gear box. GWS or VBX bearings will last you about 1 hour in a fan or gear box. It takes better bearings. About 1 out of 10 CD's has the correct stator and a good bell. The only commercialy available stators are too large in diameter. Your gobrushless stators will cut the thrust of a fan by at least 20%. They block to much fan area. I've already tried using larger stators and 2mm magnets with the DF and it causes a large drop in thrust. If your looking for a do-it-yourself direct drive, the larger stators are fine. A custom bell/flux ring with 2mm magnets will still do better. Anything larger than 20mm is dificult to put into a GWS gear box. It can be done, but it's a pain. The 20mm make a nice fit and don't hang way out of the back or interfere with the stick mount.

Tracy Hill
Old Apr 05, 2004, 09:28 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
thanks
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Apr 08, 2004, 07:23 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Glad to see you got your company rolling. I sent you an email.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:36 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
The First post has been updated with more information. We have a new website address and we are going to be adding Kits and more items to help make this a 1 stop shopping spot.

www.conversionmotorworks.com
Old May 21, 2004, 11:33 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
ouch. 20%? even the 20mm?

what kinda blockage would this cause?
http://www.conversionmotorworks.com/...bladesmall.jpg

Not startin' something - just asking how you came up with 20%.
ScubaSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaSteve
Last edited by ScubaSteve; May 21, 2004 at 11:36 AM.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:45 AM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
I bought two for my friend "Fanman's" EDF 50 learjet. The stock system put out about 5 oz total thrust for the two motors combined. I've been told these little motors will output about 10-14 oz. of thrust. (Should be good considering the plane only weighs 18 oz) This will totaly transform this plane if this is the case. The motor systems are going in the Lear this week. Glenn ran the unit up while I was on the phone last night...they screamed...

We will be flying the plane at SEFF in a few weeks....
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old May 21, 2004, 12:04 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
Steve,

At the time this was written, you didn't have any 20 mm. I'm not really sure what you mean about the picture. It's one of my motors with a 20 mm stator. The original estimate of 20% was based on using a 20mm stator with 2 mm magnets. Instead of the normal increase in performance, the performace was way down. I should have corrected the data for the 22.7 mm already. I have used your 22.7 mm stator and the performance is the same as the standard 20 x 5 mm motors.

Tracy Hill
Old May 30, 2004, 05:13 PM
Menifee, California
Joined Nov 2003
486 Posts
Hi Tracy,
Just reporting back on the 3 motors purchased from you. says it all! I'm using one for direct drive duty with a 5x3 prop in a Fantastic Models AT-6 (8.5 oz auw) it works out very well. The other 2 are in a GWS A-10 and it make the "Hog" fly like a beast! I already crashed it due to hit on the receiver. Was going pretty fast when it happened and the nose split open ejecting the Tanic 1500 about 6 feet. One of the 5 bladed impellers broke also. The motors still run just fine. I see you have a new geared version of your motors. Gotta save some pennies and I'll grab a couple from ya!
Donodo is offline Find More Posts by Donodo
Old Jun 05, 2004, 06:03 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,919 Posts
Received my direct drive motor. It was optimized for a 7x5 prop. Will post some tests in a day or two. Overall impression is that the motor is well executed. Custom bell. The diameter appears larger than my other cdrom motors - from the standard go-brushless parts. Custom bell is nice.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip