HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2004, 04:57 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
Tiger Moth 400 vs PT-17 Stearman

Okay people, what are the pros/cons, plus/minuses, advantages/disadvantages of these two GWS planes? Is any one higher quality? Which flys better stock w/ eight cell AA's? Any general hints/comments? Thanks, im looking for my next plane, and i want a bipe.
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I just maidened my 400 Tiger Moth and is it ever a keeper. I used 2S1P 1500 Kokams and it made it balance right on the 10 MM CG mark. Perfect. Nice easy loops from level flight, rolls are nice slow and it will actually glide with a dead stick motor. Not like a glider but does glide. My Tiger Moth is stock all the way but I did change the Aileron torque tube setup to a stiffer setup, no slop. This plane is a pleasure to fly!

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Apr 03, 2004, 10:09 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
how did you change the aileron torque tube setup?
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Apr 03, 2004, 11:38 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
I've had both planes. My GWS PT-17 was just about my least favorite plane of all time. Struts always came un-glued, no matter what kind of glue I used. Had to add the entire pack of clay, and a couple dollars change to the nose to get the CG right. All the bad things about GWS foamies, none of the good. Many have posted very good reviews, but I hated it. Good looking plane, though.

My TM400 is one of my favorite planes. Like every GWS, it requires a few mods, but they are not extensive. The plane was underpowered on 2s LiPos, and very tail heavy. A 3s LiPo shoved all the way forward fixed both problems. Made new LG using the gear from a Sig Scout for a model - never a LG failure. Surely a record for a GWs plane. Since switched to a brushless/LiPo setup. It's now one of my two favorite planes, and gets flown every day that I fly.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Apr 04, 2004, 04:53 AM
santa paula, ca
Joined Sep 2001
8 Posts
Which brushless?

I think the nose of the pt-17 looks... well... too un-scale?

I like the TM400.

Also Sarge, which BL setup are you using now?

Anyone tried to showhorn an outrunner into a TM400 yet? Or is the cowl just to narrow?
TawmcaT is offline Find More Posts by TawmcaT
Old Apr 04, 2004, 10:16 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
I'm using a MPJet 25-35/20 with a MPjet 4:1 GB turning a 9x6 APC SF prop. Same 3s 2100 battery I used with the stock motor.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Apr 04, 2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
Torgue Tube Setup

I made new torgue rods from 2/56 threaded rods. On the rods I used the yellow sullivan inner and the red outer tubing. The yellow tubing slides on the 2/56 threaded rods. I bent the rods to the same shape and lengths of the GWS. I then used Du-Bro Strip aileron horns. Installed the same way as the original GWS groove in the wing. this setup has zero slop and blow back.

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473

Quote:
Originally posted by Wertygrog
how did you change the aileron torque tube setup?
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC