HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2014, 01:10 AM
Joined May 2012
99 Posts
Discussion
1) FPV flying is legal. 2) Recording is legal. 3) Self defense is still legal.

I went to a nearby beach that is a whopping 2 miles long, set up, talked to some people that were curious what my "thing" was, demonstrated the loiter feature (pulling the quad to one direction or another), demonstrated rtl (flying it away then having it return), and make a lot of people think the quad was just awesome. I never went below 50 feet save for take off/landing, then after the end of my last flight, some crazy lady came over and started taking pictures of me...and dialed 911 for the 3rd time in 15 minutes...she said something to the effect of, "There's a guy here taking pictures at the beach with a helicopter plane." (I distinctly remember her saying, "with a helicopter plane," because that just sounds hilarious.) They basically said that they'd send someone when one gets free during each of the 3 calls she made, she decided they didn't care enough about someone obeying the law so when no one was around she assaulted me and she decided to stop when she got a phone call. I called the police to report the assault, and boy was the response big...10 or more vehicles arrived (cops, DEEP, and an ambulance)...They first listened to her story of lies (she claimed I was taking close ups of people in bikinis, and that she had asked me to stop flying before calling the police, and that I was the one that assaulted her, and and and). The police approached me very aggressively, believing her full story, and before anything else was said I brought up something that she missed... The fact that the cell phone in my hand has a camera...that was recording. I had video evidence that she went nuts completely unprovoked, and was the one that assaulted me. She was then charged with assault, and breach of peace and I gave the cops a copy of the video for their prosecution. I then also showed them my last flight where you can make out her colorful shirt getting up from the beach then following it until it lands which proved that she lied when claiming that she asked me to stop flying before calling the police.
At the end of it all, one of the officers said to me basically, "Flying that thing the way you were is fine, you're not in any trouble. You can come back and fly, but just be aware that some people can be alarmed."

Just a funny thing to add, last time I was there, a British guy had come up to me and said he thought it was a giant mosquito near him. He said that he first saw snake on a hike here in the States as they don't have them in the UK, and thought giant mosquitoes were another animal they didn't have.

Also sorry for an spelling or grammar mistakes and any totally illogical words, I typed this on a phone.
Hogwit is offline Find More Posts by Hogwit
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2014, 02:34 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,425 Posts
Where did this happen??
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old May 15, 2014, 03:18 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,421 Posts
We have Adders and Grass Snakes in the UK but I've never seen one, and until a few months ago I didn't know anyone who had. No giant mosquitoes though, he was right about that
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old May 15, 2014, 07:45 AM
NCFR !!!
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Jul 2013
164 Posts
Yep, beware, there's always one psyco in any group of people.
JRjoe is offline Find More Posts by JRjoe
Old May 15, 2014, 08:35 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,836 Posts
Post the video.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old May 15, 2014, 08:44 AM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
Thanks for the info. We should always be consciously aware for people like this. As always, you should always deal with these people as politely as possible. And of course, make sure you have your cell phone with you to record the conversation!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Post the video.
videoS

I want to see both. The one from the flight and the one from his cell phone!!!
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Old May 15, 2014, 10:52 AM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
318 Posts
Yes post both videos, please! You know for documentation, what if someone else runs into a crazy lady.
Jesse Buck is offline Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
Old May 15, 2014, 11:25 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
81 Posts
Good move staying calm and using your cell phone. I would worry about her attacking my quad more than coming after me.

I keep hearing stories about this, but have yet to experience it. Everyone that sees my stuff fly is really interested in it and happy to watch. Hopefully it continues like this.
Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2
Old May 15, 2014, 02:36 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
744 Posts
Good story!
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old May 15, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined May 2012
99 Posts
Where:
Middle beach and Hammonasset state park in Madison, CT

Psycho in every group:
There sure is...and as long as they keep their psychotic ideas and actions to themselves we'll all be good.

Video:
The arresting officer requested that I not post the video online at least until after she's done in court and although I'm fairly certain that I'm not required to obey the request, I'm going to (at least for a little while) so if you live in the area I could show it to you on my phone or in a few months I'll likely post it.
In the meantime though, an explanation shall suffice.
I finally got my camera rolling as she's on the phone with the dispatcher and loudly saying, "Stop, stop, stop, stop," so that it seems like I'm doing something when I'm really not. At this point in time you can clearly see that I'm simply holding my batteries down on the concrete wall that they had been resting on and she's trying to take them.
She then removes her hand and I move the batteries about 5 feet away from her then the quadcopter out of the walking path (where I had landed).
She can then be seen hanging up the phone, approaching me, and looking around to make sure no one is watching then she assaults me (I was looking away and thus wasn't expecting the attack).
I am on the ground and a couple seconds of the video is just quick movement and the ground as I reposition my phone in my hand then it's looking at her again.
The first words I said when she assaulted me was, "You're assaulting me you a$$ wipe, " and throughout the video, I can be heard requesting that she stop attacking me and she keeps saying no and she said, "I'm gunna best your a$$ you mother-f***er." In her attacking me she also said that she is attacking me solely because I was flying (not even trying to claim it was defense).
She then gets off me when she gets a call from...someone...just as a bystander arrives (he's only in the second video) who had heard me yelling for someone to call the police.
The video ends because I now had to call 911 to report this psychotic for assaulting me and my phone won't record video while calling someone.
After my 911 call is complete she can be heard talking to the dispatcher asking why no cops have come yet and the dispatcher tells her basically that the first responder will be (enter cops name) regarding her assaulting me and that she says, "Uhm no, he assaulted me," and is asked why she didn't call then and she said, "I couldn't because I was being punched in the face so thanks for giving me sass." (All of the discussion from the dispatcher is what I pieced together from her replies and I had not actually heard the dispatcher say anything...but just to point out the lack of logic...how could it possibly be that she couldn't call because she was being punched when the person who allegedly is punching her is on the phone with 911 AND there's a bystander between her and I?) She then hangs up and says (sarcastically) something to the effect of, "Great...I love this cop."
Cop shows up and she goes over to him playing innocent and victim (still not realizing that I have video evidence against her) and says that I was zooming in and doing close ups of people on the beach and that I then assaulted her and she's now hurting here and here and here. The bystander says that the quadcopter is really cool then we walk over to the cop together and after I am sitting down near the cop I decide to shut off the video as numerous cops are arriving and although one or two cops may be corrupt, 10 wouldn't.
The flight is going up already, and I'll post a link after its up...but it will be titled Hammonasset Quadcopter.

I also thought she'd attack the quadcopter...so I moved it away from her...and I guess I was then the only remaining thing in her range to attack. Prior to her...my only experiences have been one person asking me to not fly close to him and everyone else thinking it is awesome.
Last edited by Hogwit; Jun 02, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old May 15, 2014, 09:22 PM
Joined May 2012
99 Posts
Youtube link to the quadcopter footage:
Hammonasset Quadcopter (4 min 54 sec)
Old May 16, 2014, 12:46 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,836 Posts
She was pissed off because nobody was videoing her.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old May 16, 2014, 04:40 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
Thats funny as! I'm so glad you were recording her idiotic outburst!

Just make sure you have her charged for everything and anything you can and sue her for PTSD and say you are too scared to fly anywhere now and take her for everything she has!

What a moron!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old May 16, 2014, 11:44 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,414 Posts
Anytime a crazy psyco b!tch comes up and starts getting crazy... i usually tell her:

"I am only here to film attractive women. You ma'am have nothing to be worried about."
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old May 16, 2014, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
You should request that the police also charge her for making false accusations against her.

From your description of the events, i seems she's a pro at this and you are lucky you recorded it.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA