HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Help!
New to FPV - Is this video quality normal?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get into quadcopter FPV but I'm having a few signal quality and range issues with a 'starter' setup I've bought. At the moment both are powered by 300mAh 2S batteries.

This is my TX setup with my GoPro connected via an ImmersionRC connector (I think). I had to move a few of the wires around to match what instructions suggest. Wires are video + ground.

This is my RX setup. I've got it connected to my TV at the moment but the idea is once I'm happy with my TX I'll buy some goggles or monitor.

Here's a video showing my issues.
Poor FPV signal (0 min 30 sec)

1. So what I'd like to know is have I done anything fundamentally wrong in terms of my setup.
  2. If I haven't then what can I do to improve the video quality and range?

I'm a complete FPV n00b so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

I bought the transmitter and receiver as a set but I think these are the details I could find online.

Flysight 5.8G TX5802

Flysight RC306
Sirbo is offline Find More Posts by Sirbo
Last edited by Sirbo; May 06, 2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added links to the product pages.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2014, 03:00 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
I'm only just getting started with FPV myself, so take my observations at low value.

Your picture clearly says both vTX and vRX are on channel 7, but the signal looks like it is close but not quite there. One of my bench tests had a camera and transmitter combination that would start to get too hot after 10-15 minutes and it would actually hop up by .5 or .75 of a channel. It'd go away on channel X, but be almost useful on channel X+1. Weird.

Could it also be as simple as a high powered vTX that is just too close to the vRX? Have you tried moving the two of them further apart?

I assume you don't have any spare parts, but I'd just start replacing one thing at a time and see if it made any difference. Probably starting with the cheapest, easiest things. Maybe try using the stock rubber duck antennas that both items surely came with, since it'd be free?

Did you maybe run the vTX w/o an antenna hooked up? That can be super bad for it, depending on the type. A good thing to avoid.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old May 06, 2014, 03:01 PM
FPV-disturbed
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Dec 2013
84 Posts
Hi and welcome to a very exciting hobby!

I'm not an expert on this particular gear, but a couple of things come to mind.

1. 2s? Most gear run on 5,5 or 12v. If it runs of 12v you should use 3s. I've had similar results when a video tx was powered with to low voltage. (It's always good to include a link to the particular products you bought)
2. Have you tried switching the video and ground wires?
3. Are you sure you are on the same channel? Have you tried other channels?

Hope one of these things can help. Good luck!
TheSwedishRatboy is offline Find More Posts by TheSwedishRatboy
Last edited by TheSwedishRatboy; May 06, 2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Frog beat me to it
Old May 06, 2014, 03:22 PM
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.

Quote:
Could it also be as simple as a high powered vTX that is just too close to the vRX? Have you tried moving the two of them further apart?

I assume you don't have any spare parts, but I'd just start replacing one thing at a time and see if it made any difference. Probably starting with the cheapest, easiest things. Maybe try using the stock rubber duck antennas that both items surely came with, since it'd be free?
Just tried that and it seems to be the same. Could it be that I'm trying it all out inside?

Quote:
Did you maybe run the vTX w/o an antenna hooked up? That can be super bad for it, depending on the type. A good thing to avoid.
I made sure not to do that after watching on of the FliteTest videos on FPV.

Quote:
1. 2s? Most gear run on 5,5 or 12v. If it runs of 12v you should use 3s. I've had similar results when a video tx was powered with to low voltage. (It's always good to include a link to the particular products you bought)
2. Have you tried switching the video and ground wires?
3. Are you sure you are on the same channel? Have you tried other channels?
I had actually thought that it could be a voltage issue but both say they work on 2S or 3S and I only have 2S with jst connectors so if that could be the issue then I'll happily buy some 3S batteries to test.

I've tried all sorts of different wire combinations and everything get worse than it is now. I have tried other channels and it's all either the same or worse.

I bought the transmitter and receiver as a set but I think these are the details online.

Flysight 5.8G TX5802

Flysight RC306
Old May 06, 2014, 04:46 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Jul 2012
342 Posts
The black cable from the gopro are not in the right position che the manual of the transmitter you need to move to the first position on the another side.

Hope that help
CapBlack is offline Find More Posts by CapBlack
Old May 06, 2014, 05:19 PM
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapBlack View Post
The black cable from the gopro are not in the right position che the manual of the transmitter you need to move to the first position on the another side.

Hope that help
Ok I will try that tomorrow. These are the instructions. I assumed NC meant ground.

Old May 06, 2014, 07:06 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,197 Posts
NC means "No Connection".
- is ground.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2014, 07:13 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,047 Posts
Negative (-) should be your ground position.
TwoHeadsBrewing is online now Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Old May 06, 2014, 08:19 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
I think that NC is where the left speaker channel is supposed to be. I'm surprised you actually got a signal.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2014, 10:50 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Jul 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I think that NC is where the left speaker channel is supposed to be. I'm surprised you actually got a signal.
this maybe help you

Name: tx.png
Views: 89
Size: 687.2 KB
Description:
CapBlack is offline Find More Posts by CapBlack
Old May 07, 2014, 10:22 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jan 2011
89 Posts
Looks like some multipathing going on. Try a patch antenna on receiver.
ryanroberts1983 is offline Find More Posts by ryanroberts1983
Old May 07, 2014, 11:17 AM
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Firstly, thanks for all the replies.

Secondly, I've had some progress.

I had a proper read of the instructions and after checking both transmitter and receiver I noticed they were on different bands.

After changing the band so they matched the signal is definitely better and more 'locked on'. I can walk around my living room without losing signal. (something I couldn't do before). It's still a bit shaky though but I wonder if that's down to something like the 2S batteries I'm using. (low voltage?)

I've also adjusted my wires to match what was suggest above but that seems to have given the video a strange rainbow effect.

Rainbow video
FPV Issues - Progress (0 min 19 sec)

Any ideas?
Old May 07, 2014, 12:03 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,341 Posts
Try running just the signal wire into the tx, no ground connection. Since you're powering the camera separately you shouldn't need the ground.
Bodywerks is online now Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old May 07, 2014, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Without the ground cable there's no display on my TV at all.

Could it be down to the GoPro itself? When I build my FPV quad I don't think I'll use the GoPro so it might be a complete red herring.
Old May 07, 2014, 01:03 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
Quote:
I had a proper read of the instructions and after checking both transmitter and receiver I noticed they were on different bands.
From the behavior of the two video examples I suspect the vTx & vRx RF band settings still do not match. So **check again** and confirm that the vTx and vRx have identical band letters (A-F). If the band and channel settings all match then there is a chance you have a bad vTx and/or vRx.

Quote:
It's still a bit shaky though but I wonder if that's down to something like the 2S batteries I'm using. (low voltage?)
With all the testing the battery packs may have discharged to an unacceptably low voltage. I suggest you confirm the voltage is correct using a voltmeter while the battery packs are powering the vTx and vRx.

Quote:
I've also adjusted my wires to match what was suggest above but that seems to have given the video a strange rainbow effect.
On early versions of the Flysight vTx the "NC" pin was unexpectedly connected to GND (Power-). But that has been corrected and now it is a floating (unconnected) pin. What I mean is that on your particular transmitter a continuity tester or ohmmeter should show that NC, Power Output-, and Power Input- are all connected together. But regardless, to remain compatible with newer Flysight transmitters (in case you get a new one someday) you should use Power Output- when connecting the camera's ground.

Quote:
Without the ground cable there's no display on my TV at all.
That's expected. The camera's video signal requires a return path, so two wires are required.

- Thomas
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; May 07, 2014 at 01:12 PM.