Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 24, 2001, 08:23 PM
Aloha, Oregon in the Good 'ol USofA
Joined Mar 2000
147 Posts
Dime-store glider/GWS Micro EDF conversion...

Hi, So, I had these two GWS fans layng around and I was wondering what to use them for when I noticed an old foamie glider that has been sitting in the closet for years. Those fans looked like they were about the right scale for that plane, so I made up some balsa nacelles for the fans, and I am just about ready to mount them to the fuselage.

My question is: What should the fans alignment be with respect to the fuse? I've been going by 3 views of business jets so far for the general location of the fans, but they of course don't indicate details like this. Should I shoot for 0/0 thrust angles? Has anyone had any experience with setting up fans like this?

Here's a couple of pics:

rlinscheid is offline Find More Posts by rlinscheid
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2001, 09:56 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
I had the same plane but with a single DF unit mounted on top. did not seem to matter much about the AOA of the fan, but I did start with 0. Should be intresting. I assume you are going with rudder? only asking cause I did ailerons, needed to take the dihedrel out or it would not turn, if rudder then wign should be fine. Any idea on the AUW? Just wondering because of the low output of the fans, I remember mine coming in at about 16-18 oz, but then I had repaired it a bunch and it was fuel soaked (the
DF was a homemade glow fan using a 061 norvel).
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Dec 25, 2001, 07:08 PM
Joined Mar 2000
147 Posts
Thanks for the input, Dave. So far according to my Royal D.S., the airframe is 4.1 oz, the Fans are 2.6 oz, the 555 and HS-55's weigh 1.3 oz in total and the 7 cell 700 NIMH batteries I'm considering using are 3.2 oz for a sub-total of a little over 11 oz.

I toyed with the idea of ailerons, but am leaning towards rudder/elevator now. I wonder if adding foam trailing edges to the wings would be a benefit? As they are now, the T.E's are about 1/2" thick at the root and 3/8" at the wing tips. I'm not sure why the manufacturer designed them that way.

I think I'm going to try and have the fans 0/0 to the fuse.

How did yours fly with the .061? That should have been a heck of a lot of thrust!
Old Dec 25, 2001, 09:49 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
R/L

I built the exact same throw glider with a GWS DXA motor and the standard GWS electronics... It flew pretty good. I know what you're talking about when you mentioned the 1/2" trailing edge, this foamy isn't a model of efficency. A trailing edge that is "blocked" off this much, according to aerodynamic priciple, should create quite a bit of drag/turbulence. But in regards to aerodynamics, I'm not sure if all that stuff holds in regards to things this small, or fly this slow (meaning <50mph). Anyway, the plane looks great, and keep us posted on your progress.

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Jan 15, 2002, 06:35 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Check GWS new web for 2002 for more informations

http://www.gws.com.tw
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jan 15, 2002, 08:16 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
it was a lot of fun, climb out at about 30 degrees, noisey as all get out with that norvel, payback time for the glow fliers, I think ailerons are the way to go, with the wing flat it handled like an A-10, I would fly inches off the deck, pull up to about 3 feet, roll 90 degrees, pull hard, turning 180 degrees, then roll back and get back down on the deck. I could do all this in the witdth of the runway (maybe 30'). I basicly owned the deck, what fun, and flying it up until dark was wild, you could fly it so slow that there was no problem figuring out what it was doing. Geez I think I will have to go put it back together. One more thing no matter what it would only go slow, climb way up and dive and it would just come down a little faster than straight and level, must have been the drag. Maybe cleaning up the trailing edges might help with some of the drag.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 08:17 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Hey Dave,

Are you saying that there's a Norvel .61 stuffed inside that nacelle?

You said the fan was homemade. Does that include the blades and stator?
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Jan 18, 2002, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2000
147 Posts
Just in case anyone missed it, I posted to the open section that I have completed the conversion to twin fans, and it flies great! check this thread- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=24130

R/L
Old Jan 19, 2002, 07:10 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
http://hometown.aol.com/dwmex300/myhomepage/index.html

all the parts are from ply and balsa except the two motor mounts.

Dave
Old Jan 19, 2002, 08:33 AM
Parkersburg, IA 50665 USA
Joined Aug 2001
132 Posts
The plane I saw fly . . . .

had three of the GWS fans on it. One in each wing nacelle (under the wings) and one on top of the fuselage just ahead of the vertical stabilizer. The owner said that he needed the extra thrust blowing on the rudder to get it to turn tighter.....and man did it ever fly nice. I liked the high pitched whine of those fans. Now if I can just find that exact same foam glider??????
Jar'sbuddy is offline Find More Posts by Jar'sbuddy