HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2014, 04:28 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,778 Posts
Discussion
FAA seek $2200 fine from New York DJI Phantom pilot

You might remeber the Phantom that hit several buildings and fell to the ground in central New York last year. The FAA are after him and sUAS News is happy to have the scoop!

We have a copy of the letter

A little bit more but not much here http://www.suasnews.com/2014/05/28920/faa-seeks-2200-fine-from-dji-phantom-pilot/
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; May 02, 2014 at 04:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 04:35 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
Boy howdy I though balcony barnstorming was all the rage?
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old May 02, 2014, 04:45 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,778 Posts
This case is against somebody using it as a model aircraft so the AMA will have to get involved no doubt. It's not commercial use this time.
Old May 02, 2014, 05:09 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
884 Posts
Read carefully, it asserts a violation for failing to obtain ATC clearance in Class B airspace. That imperils dozens if not hundreds of AMA fields not to mention the casual park flyers who happen to be near major airports.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2014, 05:25 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,778 Posts
Yes I did notice that, Patrick knows best but I think for a while the DHS wanted all AMA fields in CAS to be closed.

Now do you think the smaller fine makes it harder to fight in court, by that I mean it might cost way more than that to fight so rather just pay the fine and I presume pick up a criminal record at the same time??
Old May 02, 2014, 05:29 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
Read carefully, it asserts a violation for failing to obtain ATC clearance in Class B airspace. That imperils dozens if not hundreds of AMA fields not to mention the casual park flyers who happen to be near major airports.
It also notes operation that endangered the NAS and operating BLOS. Section 336 carved out an exception for FAA to go after reckless operation, which is essentially what I see them doing here.

I know FAA has commented on this already and their position is that while what he did may have lacked good judgement it did not rise to the point of being in violation of any rules.

Sadly, it is precisely this kind of @$$#@t guy that is going to make it tough on the rest of us.

Oh, I will not be shocked if the coming NPRM makes operation in Class B airspace a lot more difficult to do. Established model flying sites may be the only exception since they are static and predictable to some extent. They may have let the cat out of the bag here on this. "Spoiler Alert"!!

Interesting that they called it an "aircraft" and not a "model airplane".
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old May 02, 2014, 05:41 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
All US based pilots would do well to start looking at sites like SkyVector and learning how to read aviation sectional charts, especially if you live in a large city with a Class B airspace airport.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.80793633...chart=24&zoom=

BTW, as far as established model fields go, I know of very few, if any, that are within Class B airspace. Several are located under it, but I'm not sure how many are actually located in it. Here in SOCAL and AZ I do not know of any.
Old May 02, 2014, 05:54 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
This case is against somebody using it as a model aircraft so the AMA will have to get involved no doubt. It's not commercial use this time.
It's not Los so not model aircraft

AMA has nothing to do with this case

AMA only has jurisdiction on AMA sanction fields
Or should I say flown from AMA sanctioned field
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 02, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
All US based pilots would do well to start looking at sites like SkyVector and learning how to read aviation sectional charts, especially if you live in a large city with a Class B airspace airport.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.80793633...chart=24&zoom=

BTW, as far as established model fields go, I know of very few, if any, that are within Class B airspace. Several are located under it, but I'm not sure how many are actually located in it. Here in SOCAL and AZ I do not know of any.
FAA only can do something if they have a video or proof of a reckless flight

It's the people who do stupid things that get into trouble
Old May 02, 2014, 06:05 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
AMA only has jurisdiction on AMA sanction fields
Or should I say flown from AMA sanctioned field
This is not strictly correct. FIrst, there is no such thing as an "AMA sanctioned field." AMA charters clubs, which may, or may not have a flying site. Those that do can get a certificate of insurance for the site owner for an additional charge is the land owner wants one. That is the only involvement that AMA has with a club flying site. They do not approve, inspect, sanction or in any other way grant any status on a club flying site.

AMA does have suggested field guidelines, but they are just that, guidelines and not requirements.

Beyond that, AMA does have some "jurisdiction" anywhere an AMA member operates since members are required to fly in accordance with the AMA Safety Code no matter where they happen to be flying.

It is also not known, but doubtful, that the NYC fellow is an AMA member.
Old May 02, 2014, 06:07 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
FAA only can do something if they have a video or proof of a reckless flight

It's the people who do stupid things that get into trouble
Given the proclivity of many of us to post anything and everything we do on YouTube I think the FAA will not be hard pressed to obtain evidence of what they may see as improper operation.
Old May 02, 2014, 06:09 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Yes I did notice that, Patrick knows best but I think for a while the DHS wanted all AMA fields in CAS to be closed.
Never heard that one before. I'll be seeing Rich Hanson from AMA next week and I am anxious to get his take on the rapidly changing environment both we hobbyists and others are trying to operate in.
Old May 02, 2014, 06:16 PM
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Oh I thought as an example at an AMA field fpv had to be done Los
As example
I thought this was a strict rule at AMA fields

In order for insurance purposes

I thought it was forbidden to fly out of Los at all AMA fields

This guy who fly from balcony obviously deserves big fine
Old May 02, 2014, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2010
956 Posts
IIRC, this was not an FPV flight. From what I gathered it is simply someone who flew their "toy" helicopter that got away from him, and consequently lost control. Seems like severe overreach from the FAA, this was not navigable airspace, even if, technically, it was in class B.
A good law dog should be able to throw long with this. LOL, they called his phantom an "aircraft". I really hope they get their buts kicked again on this one.
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old May 02, 2014, 06:20 PM
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
This is not strictly correct. FIrst, there is no such thing as an "AMA sanctioned field." AMA charters clubs, which may, or may not have a flying site. Those that do can get a certificate of insurance for the site owner for an additional charge is the land owner wants one. That is the only involvement that AMA has with a club flying site. They do not approve, inspect, sanction or in any other way grant any status on a club flying site.

AMA does have suggested field guidelines, but they are just that, guidelines and not requirements.

Beyond that, AMA does have some "jurisdiction" anywhere an AMA member operates since members are required to fly in accordance with the AMA Safety Code no matter where they happen to be flying.

It is also not known, but doubtful, that the NYC fellow is an AMA member.

Here ya go
AMA or no AMA fpv must be line of sight to be model aircraft