SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Tamiya Toyota Mountain Rider

1/10-scale 4x4 electric off-road pick-up truck kit

Splash

The re-release of the awesome Mountaineer, just under a new name!

Tamiya aficionados will be happy to see the return of another one of Tamiya’s awesome full-metal 4x4 off-road trucks which was released back in the 80’s and scale fanatics will be eyeing the highly realistic body and full-size-looking chassis. The Toyota Mountain Rider was originally named the Mountaineer and like the name change, the chassis has also been altered. The Mountain Rider uses the same reliable chassis that was used on the 2012 re-release of the Toyota Bruiser.

This great-looking old school 4x4 is equipped with a 3-speed tranny that can be shifted on the fly via a third channel. Aluminum solid axles are used at the front and rear and they ride beneath a realistic leaf spring suspension setup. The Toyota body is made from ABS which makes all the scale detail possible. As you can imagine since this is a Tamiya and most of us would not have it any other way, the Toyota Mountain Rider comes as a kit and you will need to provide the radio system, speed control, battery, paint and the time to build this sweet ride.

KEY FEATURES

• Length: 525mm.
  • ABS plastic molded body.
  • Metal ladder frame chassis keeps the original layout and features a black-finished surface.
  • The die-cast transmission is equipped with planetary gears for optimized gear ratio.
  • Refined clutch mechanisms offer smooth gear changes and superb durability. 3-speed gears are possible (1st gear = 4WD, 2nd & 3rd gears = Rear Wheel Drive).
  • Die-cast aluminum front/rear axle housings are equipped with differential gears to offer smooth cornering performance.
  • Front and rear differentials may be locked for even greater off-road performance.
  • Front & rear large diameter tires offer superb traction.
  • Separately available LEDs can be installed in the light cases to depict realistic head and tail lights.
  • Includes 540 brushed motor.

Learn more—TAMIYA!

Discussion

Old May 02, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2008
493 Posts
Just another Mountaineer upgraded with new axles. $$$$$$$$$$$$ the New Bruiser is $$$$$$$$$ I had the original Mountaineer. The tranny was the weakest link with cast aluminum and brass gears. The 3 speed gearbox was too slow in first but with lots of power. 3 gear was to fast. The truck was top heavy. In the end I sold it because replacement parts cost too much to maintain it. The detail is nice but its a show truck just as all the other Tamyia trucks like it.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old May 04, 2014, 09:07 PM
Romans 8:28
California
Joined Mar 2010
404 Posts
Ahhhhh......memories. The Bruiser and Mountanier were both just fantasy rides for me in the 80's. I mean, who could afford $380.00 for a kit? Wish I had now!
peacekeeper94 is offline Find More Posts by peacekeeper94
Old May 04, 2014, 09:57 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
Just another Mountaineer upgraded with new axles. $$$$$$$$$$$$ the New Bruiser is $$$$$$$$$ I had the original Mountaineer. The tranny was the weakest link with cast aluminum and brass gears. The 3 speed gearbox was too slow in first but with lots of power. 3 gear was to fast. The truck was top heavy. In the end I sold it because replacement parts cost too much to maintain it. The detail is nice but its a show truck just as all the other Tamyia trucks like it.
Actually it is not just new axles. The 3-speed tranny is all new, functions very well and is durable. No it is not a comp rig, but it is a blast from the bast and would be a fun build and cool to drive. I own the re-release Bruiser and I love it!
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old May 05, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,699 Posts
So how is this different from the re-released Bruiser? Actually, I prefer this paint scheme, it's more scale. Looks more like the Yotas I remember from the 80's.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old May 05, 2014, 10:17 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
I actually had dreams about that truck.. She was a chunk of cheese back in the day.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old May 06, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
So how is this different from the re-released Bruiser? Actually, I prefer this paint scheme, it's more scale. Looks more like the Yotas I remember from the 80's.
I didn't think there was much different between the two trucks and verified this with Tamiya. The chassis are both the same and even the body. The only real difference is the Mountain Rider does not come with the extended cab, but does include a roll bar with 5 light buckets and a different decal sheet.
Old May 06, 2014, 11:47 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Check this out!

An OLD commercial of the Tamiya Mountaineer. Too bad it is in German. I could not find any English versions.

Tamiya Mountaineer ( German Commercial ) (1 min 45 sec)
Old May 06, 2014, 06:42 PM
...into the mists of time...
Joined Jul 2007
1,228 Posts
I still have my old Bruiser from the 80's. It still works but it looks rough. Missing body parts, deep scratches in the roof from being rolled over on pavement, etc. Had I known what they would be worth today I'd have kept it in a lot better condition.
Warhorse is offline Find More Posts by Warhorse
Old May 06, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I still have my old Bruiser from the 80's. It still works but it looks rough. Missing body parts, deep scratches in the roof from being rolled over on pavement, etc. Had I known what they would be worth today I'd have kept it in a lot better condition.
It still may be worth a good amount to a collector even though it was re-released.
Old May 07, 2014, 09:44 AM
...into the mists of time...
Joined Jul 2007
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Onorato View Post
It still may be worth a good amount to a collector even though it was re-released.
I know but it has far more sentimental value to me. I can still see my little daughter (she's 25 now) having fun chasing it around the yard.
Warhorse is offline Find More Posts by Warhorse
Old May 08, 2014, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I know but it has far more sentimental value to me. I can still see my little daughter (she's 25 now) having fun chasing it around the yard.
I don't blame you. I thought you would have sold it based on what you said in an early post. "Had I known what they would be worth today I'd have kept it in a lot better condition."

It is a definite keeper! I SOOOOO regret the cars that I sold in the past.
Old May 08, 2014, 08:05 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,699 Posts
Wait, just looked up the Bruiser. $750 ?!!? Are they serious? There's just no way. I have complained about prices before and then submitted and bought when I realized they were worth it. I know this is all metal and the 3 speed and all, but dang. I was thinking $450. Who buys these things? Dang, I can buy both a Wraith and a Ground Pounder for less, and those are the cars on my list. And still have money left over for Clodbuster tires! Really cool truck, but only if you have deep pockets. $400 is the limit for a toy car. Heck the trailfinder 2 is only $400, right? And that is expensive for me.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72