HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 31, 2004, 01:52 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Multiplex Twin Star, Cargo, other electric aileron trainers

I thought I would take Tim Hooper's advice and try a new thread about the TwinStar or is it Twin Star?, have seen it also as Twinstar.

I know there is a lot of info out there, but I am thinking of buying a TwinStar as my first aileron plane.

I thought there might be some other people interested in a place to ask questions, and get other input as to flying ailerons for the first time. I have not purchased the plane yet, hoping that MPX might produce this in Elapor, like the Easy Star.

I would also like to talk and hear about other recommendations for a first aileron plane.

I'll start with a question about Battery packs.

I see a lot of 6 cell packs for rc cars for reasonable prices, they have sub c cells, up to 3300 mah. What would be the disadvantage of this type pack as opposed to 7 or 8 cell? They weigh about 65grams per cell. Can the speed controls be set for a lower cut off? The one on my Easy Star can be, but is it a rarity?

How do you tell if a particular speed control can handle 4 servos?

Thanks alot, Mike
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Mar 31, 2004 at 03:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2004, 02:13 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
I started with a Sky Scooter (soon to be the Space Scooter, it seems), so I guess that was my first aileron plane. It was pretty good, and very tough - much tougher than my TwinStar.

You don't want a 6-cell pack in the TS. The 8-cell 2100mAh NiMH CP pack that I bought to start with is almost too light to balance the plane (it has to go all the way forwards).

Best results seem to be had with an 8-cell RC-2400 sub-c pack; I just wish that I could find them for a better price than the $75.oo that the LHS wants for them. I have one, and it's clearly how the plane's meant to be; balance, duration, flight characteristics are all much better than with the smaller pack.

My current TS "issues":

- Attitude variations with throttle. Under full power, the plane pitches up quite a lot, especially going into the wind. This is with the CG at the back edge of the front spar, which is as far forward as it'll go, and neutral trim (straightedge across the tail surfaces).

- Landing. Sometimes I want to throw things at the plane, it just doesn't want to sink the last couple of metres to the ground. I'm nervous slipping in because of how much height the plane loses in low-speed turns - cartwheels are bad. I have the spoilerons set for 80% of the recommended up-travel plus about 15% down elevator, but this doesn't improve the sink rate much; even right on the verge of stalling it doesn't sink. When you do stall close to the ground, it tends to drop a wingtip and mush forwards in a much-too-much nose-down attitude.

- Power. I'd really like to be able to loop from level flight, but I just can't quite get enough speed up. Brushless... so expensive. 8(

- Wing strength. Haven't broken it yet, but the flex pulling out of a serious power dive is a scary thing to see. I suspect a carbon rod is in my future.

On the whole though, I really like the TS. It gets good press here, and for good reason IMO.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Mar 31, 2004, 02:48 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Treetop

You are not going to start a thread on the Twinstar before you build and fly your EasyStar!!!!

Seriously now, don't expect an Elapor version of the Twinstar, it is not going to happen. If you look at the Multiplex German site, you can see the 2004 catalogue and the only planes they are launching are the SpaceScooter and the Magister, both in Elapor.
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Mar 31, 2004, 03:41 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
DR Zip, Jcosta

Dr. Ziplock, Thanks for the great response. Good info. I wonder if the battery pack 8 cell RC-2400 sub-c (I don't know what the RC stands for) could be had cheaper at Cheap Battery Packs. I was looking at the Sanyo HR2600SC at $5.10 per cell that would be about $41 dollars plus shipping. There are other possibilities on the page. Also why 8 and not 7? This Page:

http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/custo...sion_id=104041

I read in the forums where some guy has over 530 flights on his TS. I think he is stock setup except uses 8 cell 2400s. His name is ChrisP. I think that's durability and good piloting.

My good friend jcosta, How did you find me so fast? If we keep talking about an Elapor TS, they will make one. They are in a secret outpost now with Jurgen, planning the thing. Jurgen will start a new post and the rest will be history. I may not be able to wait for them though.

In my opening response (if that makes sense) I forgot to mention the MPX Cargo. I think this may make a good trainer for ailerons also, and hope some Cargo flyers can respond as well. That Magister looks like a beast, a nice beast.

Thanks tt
Last edited by Treetop; Mar 31, 2004 at 03:56 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 03:51 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Cargo

Lets not forget the Cargo as a trainer. tt
Old Mar 31, 2004, 05:07 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Re: DR Zip, Jcosta

Quote:
Originally posted by Treetop
My good friend jcosta, How did you find me so fast? If we keep talking about an Elapor TS, they will make one. They are in a secret outpost now with Jurgen, planning the thing. Jurgen will start a new post and the rest will be history. I may not be able to wait for them though.

In my opening response (if that makes sense) I forgot to mention the MPX Cargo. I think this may make a good trainer for ailerons also, and hope some Cargo flyers can respond as well. That Magister looks like a beast, a nice beast.

Thanks tt
Treetop

I have my information sources.
Now go build your EasyStar, fly it and then we'll get back on this thread!
The Magister is a nice aileron trainer, albeit big... The Cargo the same, but it is too big a plane to be "breakable" for a beginner.
The Space Scooter, if it is properly powered, is probably a great plane. I just wish it weren't so ugly...
Old Mar 31, 2004, 06:05 AM
No substitue for watts!
Lancing, West Sussex, England
Joined Oct 2003
391 Posts
Level-flight loops

My TS loops from level flight, no problem, but I have replaced both the motors and props, with JAMARA 480's (5 quid each from my LHS) and a carbon-fibre Gunther clone (4 quid each from my LHS, including prop driver)

8-cell 2400mAH nicad is the way to go (Lipo & lead is another, I suppose)

Yes, the wing flaps alarmingly, I have added a strip of cross-weave tape (as used on EPP models) top & bottom of the wing
Tom Gaskin is offline Find More Posts by Tom Gaskin
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:38 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Robbe makes a couple of aileron trainers in Arcel.

Andd yeah, that new Magister is SWEET! Imagine that puppy on floats!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:26 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
www.cheapbatterypacks.com sells 2400 sub-c for 3.75 per cell. $30 for a 8 cell pack, that's for nicd. nimh are a little more but also more capacity
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:34 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rutat
Robbe makes a couple of aileron trainers in Arcel.

Andd yeah, that new Magister is SWEET! Imagine that puppy on floats!
Which ones? The only one I could see is the ranger and that is not a trainer it's a 2m motor glider.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:42 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
I was actually considering the GP3300's as a step up from the RC-2400's. Apparently Sony have a 3600mAh cell coming this summer, so perhaps it's worth waiting.

By all accounts the Cargo's not a great trainer unless you make a number of important modifications (thrustline in particular). I've been looking for something with 4 engines but less ugliness for a while now, but I may have to give in.

I already have 2" reinforced strapping tape wingtip to wingtip across the front spar, and a shorter length (aileron to aileron) across the rear spar, as well as having Ultracote'd the wing. I suspect I should have prestressed the tape a bit more; certainly unloaded the wing's pretty floppy.

The greatest strain point though is actually compression right around the engine nacelles.

I've been meaning to try the 480 upgrade, I just haven't seen a compelling prop solution. The carbon 'zagi' props are still 6x4.5, right?

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:44 AM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
If 2400 packs are too dear, why not get some old RC2000 packs (or 1900SCR)?
Over here they are a lot cheaper, I run 8xrc2000 in my twinstar, and frankly the flights times are long enough that I don't miss the 400 mAh...especially at nearly half the price!
StefV is offline Find More Posts by StefV
Old Mar 31, 2004, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
The "Easy Go" from Robbe has an aileron option. Mad Max is all set up.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Mar 31, 2004, 01:36 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Tom Gaskin, your plane looks great, I am a sucker for roundels. tt
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:10 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Dr Ziplok, How do you pre-stress the fiber tape?
Closed Thread