HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:45 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Which FW-190 Flies Better

Currently, there are at least 4 electrically powered FW-190's available, ~33" span "Butcher Birds" from S&B, Alfa and FSK, and a ~39" "Butcher Bird" from Scorpio. So which do you think is the best flying and why?

I look foward to hearing your experiences.

Thanks

Greg
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:52 AM
Turrets Syndrome?
Marina Del Rey California
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
I've only seen the Alpha fly and it is pretty amazing. In fact all the Alfas I've seen are excelent. Alfa has a new paint scheme coming out next month that looks really great
Bomberguy is offline Find More Posts by Bomberguy
Last edited by Bomberguy; Mar 31, 2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 02:10 AM
Czech Republic, Liberec
Joined Apr 2003
411 Posts
I'd go with the Scorpio one, maybe not as scale as the other birds, but 39" span. I have the Spitfire and I can't complain, also have a FSK ME109, it's OK, but a bit small a slow for my taste already. But I think all three are good flyers, FSK is more of a park flyer, Alpha is faster I guess and maybe a better performer and the Scorpio one is larger and you can takeoff ground if you use the LG. My 2 cents.
Mickey
Mickey is offline Find More Posts by Mickey
Last edited by Mickey; Mar 31, 2004 at 07:25 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2004, 08:10 PM
Selinsgrove Penn Vally, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
26 Posts
for a cheap warbird try a h.o.b fw190 kit. easy to build and fun to fly. maybe not scale enough, but still looks good.

I fly mine on a cheap multi-plex 450t geared 4:1 with an 11x8.5. 8 min. flights on 8 cells.
zman240z is offline Find More Posts by zman240z
Old Apr 06, 2004, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2003
19 Posts
If you are after scale, go for Flying Styro Kit. Check out the video from Hobby Lobby and see for yourself how it flies:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/FSK022-FockeWulf.wmv
... just beautiful I tell you!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/focke-wulf.htm

or

If you are after ARTF, but still scale-like go for Alfa Model:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/ALF205-FW190.wmv

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fw190.htm

I have the Scorpio one myself, flew it for the first time yesterday, and it flies ok, but it is way too big for having a fixed wing. Planes with 1 meter wingspan should not have a fixed (epoxyed) wing solution, that is just silly and unpractical. The quality and finish is way too low for its pricetag too (about 150 us$ delivered with tax from Germany to Norway). It seems a bit flimsy for its size too, so I believe a smaller Alpha/FSK would last longer, due to their smaller size. I just wish I had waited a month or two, and gotten an Alpha or FSK version instead.
petterms is offline Find More Posts by petterms
Old Apr 06, 2004, 09:21 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
959 Posts
What about the K&A Models FW190? It has a 36.5" wingspan with a finished weight of somewhere around 40 ounces.

I guess it depends on whether you are looking for a ARF/RTF or a kit. If you are interested in a kit, I think K&A's designs are very well done. This kit has a beautiful fiberglass fuselage and a built up wing.

If you are interested I can post pictures of the kit's contents later tonight.

Here's the URL -> www.kamodels.com

Look under [Aircraft] -> [Speed 500 Aircraft].

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Apr 06, 2004, 10:35 AM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Tempest, I am interested. I have a K&A Mig 15 in the box, still a bit intimidated by it.

Have you built their FW-190? How does it fly? 40 oz seems a bit heavy for a parkflyer, what is the minimum size field you can fly in?

Thanks

Greg
Old Apr 06, 2004, 12:54 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
My old Scorpio FW-190A ($79 when it was on sale at the LHS) with Robart mechanical retracts, 22 oz auw.
Video from two years ago:

FW-190 video 1
FW-190 video 2
FW-190 video 3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=FW190

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=55717

(Btw K&A MiG-15 thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&pagenumber=10 and video http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=2 )
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Apr 08, 2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2004, 01:11 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Herb, thanks for the links. I just rediscovered your FW-190 link the other day, but the downloads did not work, so thanks for the updates. I also appreciate the Mig links.

So with 5,173 posts, how do you keep track!

Greg
Old Apr 06, 2004, 01:22 PM
Czech Republic, Liberec
Joined Apr 2003
411 Posts
Herb,
do you have any detailed pics of the retracts installation in your FW?
Thanks.
Mickey
Mickey is offline Find More Posts by Mickey
Old Apr 06, 2004, 02:24 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Beshouri
Tempest, I am interested. I have a K&A Mig 15 in the box, still a bit intimidated by it.

Have you built their FW-190? How does it fly? 40 oz seems a bit heavy for a parkflyer, what is the minimum size field you can fly in?

Thanks

Greg
Hi Greg!

I have not built the FW190 yet, but it was originally designed for a Magnetic Mayhem with a belt drive. (I'll probably install an AXI brushless outrunner.) I probably would not classify it as a "park flyer" in the traditional sense, although my intent is to fly it in the local park. I fly in a pretty large space (i.e., the common outfield of four overlapping baseball fields).

If you have specific questions about the design, I would not hesitate to send Ken Williams (the K in K&A) an email at info@kamodels.com

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Apr 06, 2004, 02:49 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Beshouri
Herb... how do you keep track! Greg
I use the "search" function ...

Here's the only pic I have of the retract installation, using two HS-55 servos, one per side, + one servo reverser.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Apr 06, 2004, 08:51 PM
Singapore
Joined May 2002
163 Posts
I have a House of Balsa FW-190 converted to house a Mega 16/15/7. Turned out to be one of the best planes I have. The kit has been around for a while and although its designed for up to 0.10 i/c motor, it appears as if her designers had electric flight in mind way back then. Pretty good value for money at the prices most mail order retailers eg. Towers Hobbies sell her for.
Tony Leong is offline Find More Posts by Tony Leong
Old Apr 08, 2004, 05:12 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Greg

I have built and flown 3 of the four planes that you asked about, the Alfa, FSK and Scorpio planes.

If you want a very nicely detailed model that you can put together very quickly and flys very well, the Alfa plane is a very good choice. Builds in 2-4 hours and is an exceptional performer.

If you like a lot of scale fidelity and detail and like to do some building, the FSK plane is highly detailed and builds into a fine flyer. Figure 25 hours or so if you decide to add all the details. I did the sliding canopy, the removeable landing gear for display, the drop tank, ect.

The Scorpio 190 is a good flyer, but its lack of scale detail and somewhat large size, ultimately made it less appealing to me.

Hope this helps,

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Apr 08, 2004, 05:28 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,803 Posts
Thanks Mike.

I have the Scorpio bird which I really like and have been thinking about the Alfa and FSK. Watching your videos, it seems like the FSK rolls more axially than the Alfa. Otherwise they seem to fly identically. Is this correct? Also, how does the FSK handle the torque of the 7:1 gearbox vs the P-40?

Thanks

Greg