SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:43 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
253 Posts
GWS Tiger Moth 400 almost ready for maiden flight

I just completed building the Tiger Moth 400 this evening. Still have to balance it and put the upper wing on. I am not sure if the upper portion of the cabane on top of the fuselage should be glued to the upper wing or not. Any comments on that one?

Anyone aware of balance problems? Any things I should know about in the first hand launch and flight? I am going to run a TP 2 cell 2100 Mah battery, anyone sucessful with that one?

Thanks
jfail is offline Find More Posts by jfail
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:19 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
460 Posts
upper wings on TM400

Yes, you are right with your assumption. The upper wing has to be glued onto the middle struts. (Of course this makes disassembly a chore...) When glueing the part together make sure you get ALL the angles correct. The wing has to be parallel to the lower wing and has to be perpendicular to the center line of the plane.

Maidening the plane should be very straigthforward. The plane flies nicely when balanced around the recommended CG. If your wing angles are correct and your throws are as recommended you will find the plane will fly w/o any challenges. It is a very nice looking plane in the sky with limited aerobatic capabilities.

Have fun and let us know how you are doing....
Franz2002_01 is offline Find More Posts by Franz2002_01
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:54 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
253 Posts
Thanks for your input. How much weight did you have to use to balance it? I had to add two ounces to the nose and it is still very slightly tail heavy so need to add a bit more. I had the same experience with the PT-17. Had to add slightly more than two ounces to it also.

What battery did you use and what was your flight time.

Thanks again
Old Apr 01, 2004, 06:50 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
460 Posts
CG and flight time

First I used a Himax 2015-5300 with an EPS 350 C gearbox and a 10x47 propand a 2-cell Kokam 1500. It needed quite a bit of clay in the nose (didn't measure it). The model was somewhat underpowered. Then I used a Himax 2025-5300 with an EPS400C gearbox and a heavy spinner (8x6 prop). There was no clay required with this power system. The model is still not powered very strongly. I could easily increase the power with a larger prop...

However I do use a Kokam 1500 2 pack and that would not be good with a much larger prop. Flight is around 15 minutes. I haven't really pushed the limit of the batteries and mostly I cruise around with the plane...
Old Apr 01, 2004, 11:02 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
253 Posts
Did the maiden flight this morning. First a hand launch which it simply flew out of my hand and climbed very nicely. It's not fast thats for sure. Very nice landing, it just floats down if you cut the throttle about 20-30 feet from the intended landing point. Two ROG take offs went great with two very soft landings. Unfortunately the landing gear ripped out of the fuselage on the last landing which is puzzling since it was a very nice soft landing. I sure hope GWS comes up with some stronger gear on future planes. I have it fixed and will fly it again tomorrow.

I built it completely stock with no mods. Had to put about 2 ounces of weight on the motor mounting stick to get it to balance. It flies very nicely with no bad habits.
Old Apr 01, 2004, 01:53 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
460 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations - happy to hear that you liked the flight and you came down in one piece; yes, the landing gear is a problem. I do glass all the GWS planes and put a couple of layers glass over the landing gear, yet it still is not very sturdy...
Old Apr 01, 2004, 04:45 PM
1 plane flying >2 in tree
Millbrae, CA
Joined Feb 2004
21 Posts
landing gear

On my e-starter I just stuck 2 pieces of BBQ squers up thru the middle of the plastic landing gear mount up into the foam with epoxy. I don't have the new moth but I have seen it and it looks exactly the same as the e-starter so it should work the same way.
Dcobra put some pics of mods for his e-starter that has a good shot of his reinforcing the gear from the nose:

GWS E-Starter mods and pics[PHP]GWS E-Starter mods and pics[/PHP]
Tree Recovery is offline Find More Posts by Tree Recovery
Old Apr 02, 2004, 01:24 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Here is the link that Tree Recovery meant to post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=204664

This mod for the landing gear will make them ROCK SOLID... I've lost the wheels on my E-Starter a few times since applying this mod, but the gear itself is intact!

This should work the same with the TM 400. Good luck!
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old May 17, 2004, 07:39 AM
Joined Apr 2004
36 Posts
My Tiger Moth's struts are not straight, is it going to affect the flight, any suggestion?
zhoter is offline Find More Posts by zhoter
Old May 17, 2004, 12:33 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,540 Posts
Can you post a pic? Mine came out perfect with no effort on my part.
Wes
1987tc is online now Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 17, 2004, 02:20 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoter
My Tiger Moth's struts are not straight, is it going to affect the flight, any suggestion?
The struts looks similar but they are different in the length.

If you get confused, pls put the back on the penel to see which is the one for the right location!

Sorry for this caused your inconvenience, I should designed them into more differance to be noticed about!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 20, 2004, 02:02 AM
Crimson Swine...
Australia, VIC, Romsey
Joined Jul 2003
230 Posts
TM400 Landing Gear

I strengthened my PT17 landing gear by the tried and true method seen here on E-Zone by adding extra balsa or styrene sheeting to the standard GWS black wire holding frame. With the TM400 I decided to do something different.

Here are a few pics of my TM and scale-like landing gear. Like the PT17, the TM400 does need a little extra weight in the nose, so I chose to beef up the undercart instead of using clay (even after the extra few pieces of wire, the big Tiger is still tail heavy, by the way).

Hopefully maiden this weekend. Nice kit and went together well. Waiting for my red "VH-GWS" lettering for the top wing and fuze sides, to go with the red deck on the fuze.

Cheers,
Mick
Canberra, Australia
mc411800 is offline Find More Posts by mc411800
Old May 22, 2004, 01:17 AM
Joined Apr 2004
36 Posts
It's not the length, but the plates (before I take out the strouts) are bent.
I already install it anyway, I guess it's only causing minor sift of the upper wing.

Maiden flight should be tomorow.
Old May 22, 2004, 01:27 AM
Joined Apr 2004
36 Posts
Pictures of my tiger moth

can't see the bent middle struts from this shots.
Old May 22, 2004, 01:30 AM
Joined Apr 2004
36 Posts
Pictures of my tiger moth

can't see the bent middle struts from this shots.

Mr. Lin can you add some FAQ or tutorial to your site about combining gws motor, gear and prop, or how to read the type of prop (which one is length, pitch, or how many blade)?

regards