HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

RC Logger RC Eye One Xtreme

Couple this micro heavy lifting quad with a camera kit and you get serious video fun!

Splash

The RC Eye One Xtreme plus the Aerial Kit makes for a small camera platform with power!

I'm always on the hunt for a nice backyard quad. At the end of last year Adam from RC Logger was talking to me about the RC Eye One Xtreme. This little quad can lift up to 100 grams. I'm very interested in small quad platforms that can carry cameras and this looked to be the ticket.

RC Eye One Extreme - RCGroups.com (15 min 5 sec)

After receiving the Xtreme I immediately put it in beginner mode and flew around my living room. If your new to quads I want to be clear that this unit would be great to learn on. The beginner mode is so docile I would only recommend you fly it indoors. I felt comfortable enough after a few flights to fly this in my office...with guitars on every wall.

The second mode really made the Xtreme come to life. This is the mode I preferred and is perfect for outdoors. This is also the mode I used with the camera mounted to the Xtreme

I'm used to GPS equipped quads but the 6 axis gyro and altitude hold really allowed me to get comfortable with this little multirotor quickly.

Some highlights of the RC Eye One Xtreme are:

• Altitude height hold function
  • 2.4 GHz with FHSS and PPM
  • 3 Flight modes, from beginner to expert
  • Front and side orientation LEDs
  • Brushless motors with auto power off function
  • Acrobatic flip function
  • Xtremely stable flight characteristics through Gyro and accelerometer
  • Robust frame construction
  • ”OneLink” compatible
  • Additional camera tray for the Aerial Kit, suitable for GoPro®, SOCAM®, RC Logger and similar cameras
  • Direct trigger for RC Logger PRO/HD

Here are some specs that are worth noting:

• Diameter without propellers - 7.09 inches (180 mm)
  • Flight time - 6-8 mins for 800 mAh battery without payload - 9-11 mins for 1150 mAh battery without payload (Times may vary depending on flight style and environmental conditions)
  • Payload - Approx. 3.53 oz (100 g) (excluding Xtreme unit, battery and all accessories)
  • Propeller diameter- 5.43 inches (138 mm) (with small propellers) 5.91 inches (150 mm) (with big propellers)
  • Rechargeable battery - 7.4 V LiPo
  • Total height - 3.15 inches (80 mm) (with standard legs) 4.53 inches (115 mm) (with long legs)
  • Weight - (without battery) 5.54 oz (157 g) (with standard legs) 5.68 oz (161 g) (with long legs)
  • Transmitter range - max. 400 ft (122 m) (free field)

Link to the RC Eye One Xtreme page.

Xtreme Aerial Kit

The Aerial Kit allows you to attach a video camera to this small quad. It comes with larger props and longer legs. There is also a bigger lipo that is 1,150 mAH. I was getting around 4 to 5 minutes with the RC Logger HD2 cam attached. The Aerial Kit comes with a mounting bracket for the HD2.

• 1150 mAh LiPo Battery
  • Long Landing Legs
  • Camera Tray
  • Large Propellers (150 mm)

Link to the Aerial Kit.

About the Battery

The unit comes with an 800 mAH 7.4 volt lipo. That doesn't sound like much but flying around at half throttle in my office I got 9 plus minutes out of it before the orange light came on. It felt like a long time. I was also able to time the Xtreme with the Aerial Kit and HD2 cam on it. With the 1,150 mAH lipo I got around 5 minutes.

When charging be sure to plug into a wall outlet. The chargers draws more current that a laptop or computer can provide.

RC Logger HD2 Camera

This is my second camera from RC Logger and I like them for a few reasons. The size works for my applications. I can lay this down on a canopy or stand it up. The bottom surface is flat so I can velcro it to anything. It has good video quality at 1280 x 720 pixels. The lens mount rotates and RC Logger has a nice mounting kit that allows me to attach this camera to just about anything. The price is right as well.

• Robust ABS housing
  • Status, power and recording LED indicator
  • Futaba type trigger and power socket
  • Power the device through RX
  • Trigger the device through RX
  • microUSB 2.0 charging and mass storage socket
  • SDHC card slot supporting 32 GB
  • Upgradeable firmware via SD card
  • Device driver for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7

HD Camera

• HD video quality (1280 x 720 pixel)
  • 5 Mega pixel photo (2592 x 1944 pixel)
  • Video- and photo- rotation (0 to 180 degree)
  • Serial photo time-lapse mode (1 second to 3600 seconds in 1 second intervals)
  • Tiltable camera head with lens fixing screw and metal horn to control head by servo
  • Support for additional lenses (optional available lenses)
  • White balance support for various modes (day, night, indoor, outdoor, auto, etc.)
  • Exposure setting options from -2 to +2
  • Enable, disable or bypass audio recording
  • Enable, disable date/time stamp
  • Configuration option

Link to the RC Logger HD2 page.

Conclusion

I had big hopes for this unit when I read about it. It was small and light but could still carry a camera. The problem with big hopes is that things aren't always as they seem. I'm happy to report that the RC Eye One Xtreme is what I was hoping for. It flies great outdoors, it can haul my RC Logger cams or a GoPro, it has all the power I need and it's stable. You can see in my video that the Xtreme will haul the mail even loaded down with a camera. It's nimble and stable.

The controller is a little "mushy" for me but in an upcoming article I will review the OneLINK that allows you to control the Xtreme with almost any TX.

For the money I don't think you can go wrong with this quad.

Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:57 PM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
623 Posts
How much as in rtf with options?
Hot_Wheels is offline Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:04 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,311 Posts
The Xtreme is $129.
http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/RC-EY...me-Mode-2.html

The Aerial Kit is $39.
http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/Spare...erial-Kit.html

The HD2 cam is $99.
http://www.rclogger.com/Products/Pro...D2-Camera.html

The mount kit is $14.99.
http://www.rclogger.com/Accessories/...on-Mounts.html
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:07 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,416 Posts
Is that HD2 cam at $99
worth it? comparing it to a Mobius which is
less priced and well review'd.
http://www.rclogger.com/Products/Pro...D2-Camera.html
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,311 Posts
I'm sure you could velcro a Mobius to the aerial mount on the Xtreme. Since I don't own one I can't comment on the differences.
Administrator
Old Apr 26, 2014, 07:51 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,159 Posts
Any jello problems?

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Apr 26, 2014, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,311 Posts
What you see in my vid is totally stock. I didn't even balance the props. I need to order some new props to keep testing (broke one).
Administrator
Old Apr 26, 2014, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,441 Posts
Very nice review. This little guy does seem to be in a class of its own at the moment. On board video footage is quite good. The price is hard to beat. I want to try one!

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 29, 2014, 06:23 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,990 Posts
Awesome write up and video Jim.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2014, 05:23 PM
United States, WA, Clark County
Joined May 2014
242 Posts
Modes

Hi. Total noob here. Need help.

I see three RC ONE Xtremes listed for sale on the company website, at different prices, a Mode 1, Mode 2 and a Mode 3.

But I'm reading how people can set their Tx for a mode 1, 2, or 3?

What do all these modes mean? Are they different kinds of Modes?

Also, does anyone know if you can mount a GoPro to this quad so parts of the quad don't show in the video?

Thanks for any help. I can't wait to get started with one of these!
Columbian666 is offline Find More Posts by Columbian666
Old May 01, 2014, 11:41 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbian666 View Post
Hi. Total noob here. Need help.

I see three RC ONE Xtremes listed for sale on the company website, at different prices, a Mode 1, Mode 2 and a Mode 3.

But I'm reading how people can set their Tx for a mode 1, 2, or 3?

What do all these modes mean? Are they different kinds of Modes?

Also, does anyone know if you can mount a GoPro to this quad so parts of the quad don't show in the video?

Thanks for any help. I can't wait to get started with one of these!
Welcome to the forums. First off make sure you are looking at the Xtreme and not the original EYE One. That's a smaller quad with brushed motors. From your post I get the feeling that is what you were looking at on the RC Logger website, since it is available in mode 1,2 or 3 whereas the Xtreme is only available in mode 1 or 2.

In North America mode 2 is the standard and I'd say is standard for most of the world however mode 1 is more common in certain areas. There's certainly not a right or wrong mode, just should maybe determine what is the more common mode in your area or which is right for you. Basically between mode 1 and mode 2 the sticks on the controller are switched. Mode 1 throttle on right stick, mode 2 throttle on left stick.

As for the setting of modes, I think you are referring to the flight modes. There are 3 flight modes on the Xtreme. Beginner, Sport, Expert. You can switch between these modes by pressing the mode button on the transmitter. The beginner mode is for someone completely new to the hobby and flying. This is a very gentle and easy mode to fly in. Sport has more oomph and things become more hands on in this mode. This is also the minimum mode required to be in to carry something like a gopro. Then lastly is expert. It is what it says. Meant for someone very comfortable with flying in sport mode.

As for the gopro, you will have to just play with settings until you get it the way you want. With a medium field of view you should be able to get the quad out of the shot.

Hope that helps

Might I presume you live in Columbia based on your username? There are some great vendors in the US if you live here.

Also here is a direct link to the Xtreme page on rclogger.com

http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/RC-EYE-One-Xtreme/
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old May 06, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined May 2014
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Welcome to the forums. First off make sure you are looking at the Xtreme and not the original EYE One. That's a smaller quad with brushed motors. From your post I get the feeling that is what you were looking at on the RC Logger website, since it is available in mode 1,2 or 3 whereas the Xtreme is only available in mode 1 or 2.

In North America mode 2 is the standard and I'd say is standard for most of the world however mode 1 is more common in certain areas. There's certainly not a right or wrong mode, just should maybe determine what is the more common mode in your area or which is right for you. Basically between mode 1 and mode 2 the sticks on the controller are switched. Mode 1 throttle on right stick, mode 2 throttle on left stick.

As for the setting of modes, I think you are referring to the flight modes. There are 3 flight modes on the Xtreme. Beginner, Sport, Expert. You can switch between these modes by pressing the mode button on the transmitter. The beginner mode is for someone completely new to the hobby and flying. This is a very gentle and easy mode to fly in. Sport has more oomph and things become more hands on in this mode. This is also the minimum mode required to be in to carry something like a gopro. Then lastly is expert. It is what it says. Meant for someone very comfortable with flying in sport mode.

As for the gopro, you will have to just play with settings until you get it the way you want. With a medium field of view you should be able to get the quad out of the shot.

Hope that helps

Might I presume you live in Columbia based on your username? There are some great vendors in the US if you live here.

Also here is a direct link to the Xtreme page on rclogger.com

http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/RC-EYE-One-Xtreme/
JL:

Thank you. This is just what I wanted to know.

Does the difference between modes lie in the radio? It sounds like you have to get either 1 or 2 and once you do, you're stuck with it. Or is it somehow programmable. It would be nice to experiment with both left and right stick throttle.

Do you think the Xtreme would be a good beginning model? I want to get into FPV flying ASAP.

And, BTW, I'm in SW Washington state, right near the Columbia River.

Thanx again for the information.

Tim
Old May 06, 2014, 08:34 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbian666 View Post
JL:

Thank you. This is just what I wanted to know.

Does the difference between modes lie in the radio? It sounds like you have to get either 1 or 2 and once you do, you're stuck with it. Or is it somehow programmable. It would be nice to experiment with both left and right stick throttle.

Do you think the Xtreme would be a good beginning model? I want to get into FPV flying ASAP.

And, BTW, I'm in SW Washington state, right near the Columbia River.

Thanx again for the information.

Tim
Tim, for the most part you are stuck with eiher choosing a controller that is either 1 or 2. You could essentially open one up and re-solder some wires or switch the two gimbals around, but I wouldn't really recommend that. If I were in your boat I would just suggest going with mode 2. That is the standard and you will find it available on all other transmitters you may purchase in the future. Not too many ready to fly packages offer a flight mode 1 package, so if you did learn it that way on the Xtreme, then you'd have to learn all over again if you were to purchase other ready to fly aircraft.

As for being a beginner craft, I would say yes. The beginner flight mode is as docile as they come. Just do a few things:

-Read all the way through the manual a couple of times (you can find it online at rclogger.com)
-Do a preflight check of everything. Make sure wires are in tight, the prop nuts are tightened down and everything is good to go.
-Handle the quad with respect. Remember this is a brushless quadcopter so it can cause some damage if you're not careful. However the stop feature helps that a lot.

If you get one or have more questions just let us know. We are here to help.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old May 09, 2014, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2014
242 Posts
Thanks again, JL. Looks like mode 2 is good for me.

I'm seeing the Blade 180 QX HD at Amazon for $149, and am thinking it will give me a basic beginner quad for a slightly smaller investment and less despair when I sail it down the hill and into the Columbia, while i learn and plan to build a really studly drone.

Best wishes.