tim hooper
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2004, 03:30 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,981 Posts
Hey guys, we're getting notorious! This is the second Unicorn related thread that went into second edition!
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Mar 30, 2004, 01:50 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Nov 2003
807 Posts
Great models deserve notoriety.
The Flying Pig is offline Find More Posts by The Flying Pig
Old Mar 30, 2004, 04:50 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
hey sargentw,
I have a graupner 5.5x 4.3 that I've been thinking of using with the Mega 16/15/4 Do you think I will have any problems with that setup. I haven't figured out how to use the motocal yet. Presently running a MAS 6X4 and motor is just barley warm after about 30 min of flight................SB
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Mar 30, 2004, 08:45 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
You are better off with the larger prop. It sounds like it's working for you. I've heard the graupner cam props work better than the APC props. I seem to be finding that out too as I keep testing both types of props. The graupners are alot more expensive, at least i have not broken any (yet).

Even though I don't need them right now I made a set of Unicorn Winglets with Oracover and poster board (Thor). Also a fellow flyer sent me some clear 2mm coroplast and I'm making a set of winglets out of that with the bright yellow glued only on the outside. I need that bright color on the outside so I can see the darn thing.

I will post pictures soon.

How is your flying getting along?

Regards,

Tad
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:03 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Sargentw,
I'm not sure exactly what you meant about the prop size.....I guess I'll just do some comparison testing on my own. Just didn't want to heat up the power plant (mega) by spinning too fast with the smaller 5.5 X 4.3 Graupner....I too have some 2mm coroplast on the way so I will be building some standby winglets. I think I am going to go to lmore magnets to hold them on, the 2 pair on each side work OK until you start doing barrel rolls then they want to come off. Might need to add more, say 3 pr. per side. FLYING is greatly improving. I try to get out every day after work and I get in about an hour before it gets dark....but that will change this Sunday when we go to daylight savings time. Thanks for the info......clear prop........sb
Last edited by segdohbird; Mar 30, 2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:17 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
You should be safe with smaller props. The smaller props will not draw more power. Your best performance with your mega 4 wind will be with a larger prop (6x4). You will see this when you check em out. BTW: the Graupner 5.5x4.3 is not that much smaller and may work well for you. It's a good quality prop.

Right daylight savings time!
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:34 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Thanks for the info Sargentw,
I do really like the Graupner props....I have a 6x3 cam folding that really works great....but I busted my first one (forgot to throttle down before crashing, ripped one of the blades off) When I get a little more confident that I won't rip the hell out of it I'll put it (new one) back on.....I really like the Grupner Cams but they are price-y..........sb
P.S. Does anyone know of a place where we can get the Graupner, other than Hobby (shipment gouger) Lobby.. I've searched the web and haven't had any luck locating a supplier...
Last edited by segdohbird; Mar 30, 2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:11 AM
Bought at a price.
Winfield, Kansas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by segdohbird
P.S. Does anyone know of a place where we can get the Graupner, other than Hobby (shipment gouger) Lobby.. I've searched the web and haven't had any luck locating a supplier...
www.nesail.com
777 is offline Find More Posts by 777
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:26 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Thanks 777,
Windfield Ks. I lived there once.....just before our family moved to cali. But that was 50 yrs. ago. My sister was born there. I'm sure it's a little bigger than when I was there..........sb

P.S. There's something wrong with the nesail site. Server running really slow. Sometime can't even get into it. Will try again later.
Last edited by segdohbird; Mar 31, 2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:57 AM
Bought at a price.
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
No kidding!?! Wow, it really is a small world!!
Winfield is still pretty small & insignificant, but I like it that way. About 12,000 population, but I believe that includes the rural areas as well.

Here I never have to search for a place to fly, there's lots of wide open space. Never crowded out by other flyers, in fact, I've never seen another RC flyer here ever! It's almost lonely.

I'm looking for Graupners too, for when I finally slip the 16/15/4 in the 'Corn. I'm considering the 5.5x5.5. What do you plan on using? Do you have any experience with any of them?

Take care,
Brad
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:04 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I use the 5.5x5.5 CAM with 10 cells - it's a nice combination of speed & vertical.....I did measure the current draw a while back - I think it was 18 amps static.
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:18 AM
Bought at a price.
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
Thanks, soundman.

That's helpful. Have you tried any other combinations?
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:06 PM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I've tried 8 cell on that prop - still nice but needs the 10 cells really.

I also tried a gunther carbon 5x5 on 8 cells (before I had the 10 cell packs) to be honest it was a bit dissapointing - speed & vertical were better than stock, but nothing to write home about.

The 5.5x5.5 is the one for me.....it has almost too much speed for me (but I'm getting used to it) vertical is great & the run times aren't bad either.....I think it's in a happy area where speed, vertical & runtime are good - you could of course improve on any one of these but the others would suffer.

I may try a 6x4 or so one day....but I can't really see any reason why I need to.
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:28 PM
Oxford, UK
Joined Nov 2003
807 Posts
While we're on props:

What folding props are people using?
I'm using a Mega 16/15/4 and am thinking of using a folding prop for better streamline flying and less drag on landing.

Believe me I've searched the various 'Corn threads and I know this one has been discussed, but there are thousands of reples and searching is like the needle in a haystack....
The Flying Pig is offline Find More Posts by The Flying Pig
Last edited by The Flying Pig; Mar 31, 2004 at 12:58 PM.