HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:49 PM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Stream Schneider sport plane set-up ?

Hey guys, I bought a Schneider sport 60 racer this weekend at our swap meet and was wondering about the set-up that is already installed. This this is new, never flown but appears to have been built a good while ago as the servos are the old Futaba "G" plugs !! Currently there is an Astroflight Cobalt 25G geared set-up in it with a Topflight 14x6 wooden prop on it. What battery configuration would work best , ie: cell count and type, and would a 30 amp speed control work ?

I have quite a few E-tech 2s1p 1200 packs and also have 5 packs of 6 cells each of some matched Sanyo 2000scr cells .

Will I have a good flying plane ? This thing has a 63" wingspan and with servos and motor set-up in it weighs 4.25 lbs. ( no batteries).

Any input is greatly appreciated as I don't want to fly it this weekend at the E-fly-in at Thunderbird field in Fort Worth, Texas with a "marginal" set-up. I want to keep it in one piece and not crash this beautiful plane !! I'll post some pics tonight.

Rick
ronin8451 is offline Find More Posts by ronin8451
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2004, 04:14 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Running your combo through a calc program I come with 18 cells, 12 X 8 APC, 33.6 amps, 7748 RPM, 68 oz. thrust, and 58.7 MPH pitch speed. It should do well at these specs. If the amps are a little too high for you switch the prop to an 11 X 8.

Pics would be great!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 29, 2004, 05:25 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,407 Posts
Here is a thread on my schneider that I will have in the air soon:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=schneider

My suggestion for this plane and astro 25: use 16 of the 1950 nmh cells, that way the plane will be nice and light. Prop for 30 amps or so, maybe a 12-8 prop. If you can get a lipo pack, then either 4s or 5s propped to 30 amps or so will work great. This plane flies really well, I wish it would be re-kitted now that electric is 5 X more popular than 10 years ago.
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old Mar 29, 2004, 06:47 PM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
I loosened off the motor mount to get a better look at the tag on the motor and it says " Astroflight Cobalt 25 , FAI Racing Motor ". It is in the standard gearbox, not the 3:1 box. Is this a hotter wind than what is shown on Astroflight's website? The Cobalt 25 on their site doesn't say FAI Racing Motor on it . Let me know before I fry it !!! I have some APC 12x6 E props coming , along with some 13x6.5 E props too ( not the SF ones ) . Thanks for the help and pics will be up in a little while !

Rick
Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:40 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,407 Posts
E-mail astrobob, he'll shoot you straight (go to www.astroflight.com to find it). You might want 14 cells and about 40 amps if it is the motor that I'm thinking of...
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old Mar 30, 2004, 08:57 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Yikes!

The FAI wind is a much hotter motor than the sport wind. However it'll hold up to a much higher amp draw as well.

Using the standard Astro 25 1.63:1 gearbox and a 10 X 6 prop with the same 18 cells the calc program says 12,377 RPM at 48.7 amps. These figures are right in the ballpark for the FAI wind motor. That plane should have the same speed as if it had a .40 glow engine on it!

However, you could pick up loads of performance just by switching over to the Astro Superbox. This will allow you to swing a much larger (14") more efficient prop giving the plane ~1.5X more thrust at the same pitch speed.

You'd also do well by using the 1950 Nimh cells as Twest has mentioned. These cells will allow you to drop battery pack weight by ~25% and keep nearly the same capacity as your old cells.

The best thing to do at this point is to choose the running combination of your choice. The ones listed above should all work well for you. Once yo get a power combo together throw a prop on the motor and do a current check. This will be the final dialing in point. BTW, the FAI should be comfortable at 50 amps as long as you don't use it all for the entire flight.

Pictures would be nice, video even better. Go for it, let us know how things work out for you.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:33 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Thanks for the help guys ! I think I'll start off with a 12x6 prop and "sneak up" on it with higher cell count until I hit around 30 or 40 amps . I want to fly it this weekend so there is no time to order a new superbox.

Here are some pictures for you !

Rick
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:34 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Here she is taken apart on my counter at my shop :
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:39 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Here is a closer view of the motor box and the Cobalt 25G mounted. She's a really great looking plane with absolutely no hanger rash or flaws in the monocote whatsoever !! It looks as if it was just assembled ! I honestly do not think it was ever flown at all , but the guy has drawn locations for the reciever and battery locations inside and marked a large rectangular spot for an old speed control ( huge by today's standards) , and the CG is marked with 2 black tick marks on the fuselage and wing.

You guys think it was worth $55 ??? LOL!

Rick
Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:35 PM
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Joined Mar 2003
144 Posts
Nice Plane Rick...
I forgot there was a swap meet there last weekend..
Sorry I missed it...

Toyse
toysejr is offline Find More Posts by toysejr
Old Mar 30, 2004, 01:50 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
588 Posts
My Schneider

Hi all,

Been flying my Schneider Sport for more years than I want to think about, started with Astro 25G (sport wind) on 14 x 1200 sub-C's (told ya it was a while ago). Underpowered, went to 16 cells and flew pretty well. Even on 16 cells, has always seemed just a tad underpowered, flies very smooth and gracefully but not much vertical oomph. This fall, switched from 2400 NiCds to 1950FAUPs. Youza! what a difference, knocked a half pound off the weight, and I can throttle back so much that I actually get as long or longer flights than from the 2400's. Typically 5 1/2-6 min. of moderate aerobatics with enough juice for one go-around. LiPos of course would remove even more weight and increase flight times but in this size system, I can't bring myself to spend that much. Started with a 12-8 wood prop, tried a couple others but have gotten best performance from an APC 12-8E. Don't think the gear would allow a much bigger prop that 13" on mine. Always wanted to try it on floats, but Stream went out of business before I could get a set of their no-water-rudder floats. (Picked up a set used last year but the mounts are all screwed up, in the wrong location and one broken off; any ideas how to replace them?)

Rick, your motor is a totally different animal (beast!) from mine, designed for high current, high RPM if I am not mistaken. Don't know why the std. Astro gearboxes on those motors had such low ratios (2.8:1 or 2.3:1 or something), the FAI motors really need much higher ratios. With this motor, my guess is that you will have a nice-flying plane on anything from 14-18 cells as long as you can prop it for 30-40 amps.

Twest, did you ever get the control throws? I looked for my instructions unsuccessfully the night before our trip, haven't had a chance to set it up and measure them since we got back.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:18 PM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Sounds great, that's what I plan to do is to prop it for around 35 amps static and it should unload a bit in the air. I hooked the motor leads up to a 12 volt, 35 amp power source and with that 14x6 prop it almost was pulled out of my hands ! It felt like running up an OS .46fx on a glow plane, so I think it will fly great.

My only problem now is whether to use the 2000 packs I have, use a 4s3p 1200 pack made from my E-tech cells I just got in, or to order me some 1950 FAUP cells . I really want to use the new High C E-tech 1200's , but Waypoint doesn't have any yet in stock. I will probably fly it this Saturday with the 2000 NiCad packs I have right now.

Thanks for the help so far guys ! Post some pictures of your planes so everyone can see them and maybe somebody will try to re-kit these again. I did a search on RC Universe and the owner of Stream has posted on there about these as late as 2002, maybe he would sell the rights to some other company ?

Rick
Old Mar 31, 2004, 06:59 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Rick, thanks for posting the pictures. This is the 1st one I've seen without the floats. I sort of reminds me of the "Golden Era" racer "Pete".

EDIT BTW, I think that the gearbox on your motor is only a 1.63/1 reduction so you might want to go light on the prop size until you get an amp reading.
Last edited by GregG; Mar 31, 2004 at 07:04 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 08:48 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Thanks man ! This is the older 1.63:1 gearbox so I think I'll start out with a 11x7 prop and sneak up to a 12 x 6 maybe. Motocalc shows the plane to like the bigger props , but it just wants to draw a lot of amps too.

Do you know if the GWS hyper drive props will hold up to this thing? I only have 12x6 APC E and 13x 6.5 E props coming from Great Planes and I already stock the 11x7 HD and 12x8 HD GWS props. I am afraid that they will flex a lot, but they seem as stiff as the Master Airscrew electric props. I would appreciate any input .

Thanks!

Rick
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:41 AM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
588 Posts
If these GWS props are intended for use on GWS planes like the Beaver, Tiger Moth, etc., I'd be pretty nervous about using them on a model as big as the Schneider Sport. I doubt if they are designed for the thrust, torque, or RPMs of your motor, and shedding a prop blade on a motor that powerful is very likely to destroy the motor mount. I'd use a plain old glow prop from a local hobby shop before I'd risk a GWS prop on such a big model. OK, maybe a Zinger or MA prop won't be optimum, but it will get the job done and it won't self-destruct in flight.

Just my $0.02.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA