SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2001, 08:44 PM
Hillsboro OR USA
Joined Jan 2001
35 Posts
Dual EDF Mini-pleaser is ready to go

Using 2 GWS mdf50 units (Thanks, Bleriot!) in parallel on a shorty minipleaser that has lost a couple inches of it's nose to a plane-eating light pole. I'm using an 8 cell 650 mah nimh pack. WOT draw is 8 amps. The speed controller is marginal for this, it's a pixie 7.
The battery is about charged, and it's dead calm outside. I'll be flying shortly.
psbowen is offline Find More Posts by psbowen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2001, 08:54 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Good luck on the first flight. Watch the poles, the ones here in Georgia seem to move!
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi PSBOWEN OUCH 8 cells!!! will give about 10-+ flights before frying, better to try 7 cells though the sound on 8 is sweet and the plane is a better wind flyer without the drag of a similar propped twin. Are they mounted under the wings? Have you alot of MP flying experience? It will tend to glide longer.with no windmilling prop to slow you down fast. Make SURE you have Bonk taped the wing joint seam top and bottom. Good air and let us know how it went. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:17 PM
I'll have the roast duck
oakland, ca
Joined Jun 2001
296 Posts
Bleriot I think you've mentioned it before, what bonk tape, and why is it important?
maximus is offline Find More Posts by maximus
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:36 PM
Hillsboro OR USA
Joined Jan 2001
35 Posts
Well, it worked. The EDF's were mounted under the leading edge of the wing, so I could pull the gearmotor off, then rubber band the EDF's on. I'm ordering another mini-pleaser, It's very tempting to mount the fans on pylons below the wing, airliner style.

The takeoff run was quite a bit longer than I had expected. I was concerned with frying motors, so I did not use full throttle. I had to groundloop once to aviod a nasty looking rock, and knocked a control horn off. To the house and back, tried it again and had a fairly good flight until the landing when I found that the EDF mounts, although very light, would not stand a bounce.

Back to the house where I put on my other experiment for this evening. It's a DX-A drive with two motors and a 9x7 prop. 2.5 amps WOT on 8 350mah nimh's. (this motor unit is destined for a full house tiger moth) A quick rebalance, and back across the street to the school. This motor combo was incredible. Steep, steep climbs, huge speed range compared to the heavier speed 260, and fairly efficient at low throttle. I did not hit a single light pole.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:47 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi PSBOWEN Even if you use partial throttle with EDF'S, the motor still sees 8 cells albeit a chopped voltage. Also 8 cells nicad on your twin DXA will be short lived. Go to 7 nimh or 6 nicad or risk all. When you order the other MP ask for the hinge tape. Bonk, 3M whatever he has
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:59 PM
Hillsboro OR USA
Joined Jan 2001
35 Posts
Bleriot,
Thanks for the speed controller info. I'll put together some 7 cell packs. I do like the bonk tape. I have some left over from a HLG that I bought from nesail.com.