HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2001, 09:01 PM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
601 Posts
Need some help with my latest plane

Need some help with my latest plane. Inspiration for this one came from a trade show picture I found while surfing the net one day. The picture was a small orange and white ½A powered plane very much like the plane shown in the pics. I loved the design, but unfortunately could not make out who the manufacturer was so I did the only thing I could, design my own. I have also wanted to try small electric for sometime and this seemed like a good opportunity to do both. The plane is framed up, almost ready for flight gear and covering. Current weight is about 5 to 6 oz, covering is likely to add an ounce or two more so finished weight should be around 7 to 8. The fuse is large enough for an 8 cell pack and a speed 400 motor. I have also considered other motors with lower current draw for better flight times such as Permax 480 or maybe a geared setup. Wing sections are NACA 2410 at the root and NACA 2412 at the tip. Two channels will be used for elevator and ailerons. So before throwing any motor I could find in this plane, and possibly ending up with a BRICK with wings, I figured I'd let the guys at E-zone make some suggestions. Ideally the plane would have moderate power, capable of typical aerobatics, loops, rolls, inverted flight, etc… a sport model with good to very good flight times maybe around 10 minutes. So there you have it, dimensions are listed along with a link to some pics. Have a look and if you have any thoughts about how I can make this project successful please let me know.

Thanks.

Dimensions:
Span 27 in
Length 23 in
Area 187 in sq
Est. RTF Wt. 20 oz
http://photos.yahoo.com/wim5150
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2001, 11:01 PM
columbus, oh, usa
Joined Jun 2001
426 Posts
try again with the foto link.
buckeyes1997 is offline Find More Posts by buckeyes1997
Old Aug 08, 2001, 05:29 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
the link works fine for me.

with only 190 sq in you will need to look on the more rather than less power side of things. it will fly on a 400 so it depends on what you expect. a 480 might be a better bet for power but that means lower run times. the other way is a 400 cobalt or brushless. if you can weigh your parts it will help to get a better idea of all up weight.
pfg is offline Find More Posts by pfg