HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:05 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2011
63 Posts
Question
2.4 gHz

I am looking at building the Engel Gato submarine. However, that kit needs at least 8 channels and my ACE Nautical Commander only has 7 channels.

Can I use a 2.4 gHz radio with an antenna extension kept above the water? I know this limits the diving depth. However, I am not interested in deep diving anyway.
heavymeasure is online now Find More Posts by heavymeasure
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 01:05 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
heavymeasure,

just a few points to verify we are talking about the same things here.

I assume you will be using the tmax version of the gato so your 8 r/c channels needed are:

3 for ballast system
1 for forward dive plane retract
1 for forward dive plane angle
1 for rear dive plane angle
1 for rudder
1 for throttle

thus totaling the 8 channels you are asking about...

to my limited analytical abilities you have two viable choices:

1) spend the time trolling for a futaba 9cap or 10cap transmitter on ebay, then get your hands on a 50mhz or 75mhz module, and an 8 or 9 channel 50mhz or 75mhz receiver.

2) tie the rear diving plane to a stand alone pitch controller, using a Y cable from the same channel as the forward dive plane angle (for power to the pitch controller only) the pitch controller will effectively control the rear planes with no input from the radio. this will allow you to operate the sub with only seven channels.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:44 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2011
63 Posts
Wow

Thank you for the detailed reply!!
heavymeasure is online now Find More Posts by heavymeasure
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:56 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
429 Posts
I know the guys that run in brackish to salt water need to run with a portion (a few inches) of antenna above surface and make longer than most on delay with loss of signal. I suppose you can do the same with 2.4 MHz. However currently there seem to be radios and receivers still in supply in 75MHz and if something did go under longer than expected, you can still have control. Tim did a great breakdown on channels needed. There are levelers that do not need to be tied into the reciever. Look at Mikes sub works http://mikessubworks.com
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant