HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2001, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2001
62 Posts
new lithium battery...

A friend of mine works at cingular wireless and had a spare (used) lithium battery from the new Nokia ridiculously small phones. I'm attempting to add pic if I can. Any one have any thoughts? its 3.6 volts but no idea how many ma's. I was hoping to build a really small plane around it but don't know what motor to use? (mabey a pager vibrator motor without the weight?) Unfortunatlely I'm still trying to find a way to charge/discharge it properly... hard since its not labled at all.... Any help/ knowledge would be really cool!
mism42 is offline Find More Posts by mism42
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2001, 11:56 AM
Joined Nov 2001
62 Posts
Here is another photo. Its all one piece of metal on five sides, and plastic on the bottom. one lead comes from the bottom in the middle of the plastic and is insulated from the metal all the way up to the charge circut. The other end of the circut is attached to the top of the metal case.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 12:21 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Looks just like the Neopoint li-ions of 600ma.
Do a search for neopoint and compare the photos.
Careful with the polarity, the entire case is positive if it's
like the neopoint's.

Here's the thread..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=14278
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Last edited by DNA; Dec 23, 2001 at 01:05 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 01:08 PM
Joined Nov 2001
62 Posts
Thats the same one alright! Even says "C" on the side just the same... to bad I only have one.... http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=3538 this guy looks like a decent candidate, if not a bit heavy? can the GWS stuff work on 3.6 volts?
Old Dec 23, 2001, 01:25 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
Not on 3.6V. You need 7.2-8.4V for the GWS DX-A motor setup.

The current favorite E-Zone lithium cells for these types of planes are the Qualcomm 830mAh (2 cell) packs. Lots of info about them (including the safe way to charge them) is available here on E-Zone.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Dec 23, 2001, 01:44 PM
Joined Nov 2001
62 Posts
Yep got some of those qualcoms on the way... What I meant was the receiver/servos. I know the motor wouldn't work that low. Thats why I was asking about the motor here http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=3538
Old Jan 02, 2002, 05:15 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,856 Posts
new lithium battery

You might look into some of the free flight motors, which tend to use fewer cells. Check out Kenway. I think Selman has some low voltage motors as well. DOn't remember if Cloud 9 does, but worth checking. Sources listed at: http://www.rcmicroflight.com/vendors/index.asp
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 03, 2002, 03:57 AM
Finland
Joined Feb 2001
584 Posts
mism42,

Could you tell me which Nokia model your friend got those out from? 1 or 2 cells/pack? Could you also measure the cell precisely, the dimensions and weight.

Im 80% sure that your cell is Sanyo made. I have one and the corners and minus-side looks exactly the same. What I believe are Sanyo cells have about 1.5mm corner radius, Panasonic prismatics have totally round edges and LG Chem, A&T plus some others have sharp edges.

Neopoints seem to be Sanyo made and Qualcomms are actually Panasonic CGR17500s. Single letters or numbers often stand for matching class. Packs always contain matched cells.
Petri Nygren is offline Find More Posts by Petri Nygren
Old Jan 04, 2002, 09:45 AM
Joined Nov 2001
62 Posts
Came out of the newer one thats really small. like 4 1/2 inches by 2 inches. (The ones that feel goofey up against your ear!) Hard to tell who makes them though. That metal case is actually the positive part of the battery. No Idea if there is cells inside, or if the whole thing is a cell.