HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

DJI Ronin - 3 Axis Pro 8kg Gimbal

Never one to be behind the curve, DJI releases itís brand new 3 Axis Pro 8kg Gimbal

Splash

DJI Releases itís First Pro Handheld 3 Axis Gimbal 'The Roniní

As the brushless gimbal technology takes over the multirotor and film world companies like Freefly Systems and many others developed 3 axis gimbals that are quickly adjusted to stabilize a multitude of cameras and lenses. Until now DJI had camera specific 3 axis gimbals. The Zenmuse line of gimbals although camera specific have been the industry standard for AV for quite some time. This past weekend at the 2014 NAB show DJI stepped itís game up. The new Ronin can handle a camera/lens combo up to 8KG, (17.63 lbs). It also has some features that I have not seen on other gimbals. The ability to be used upside down for eyeball level filming! The entire rig can be adjusted very quickly to allow quick equipment changes.

KEY FEATURES

• 3-AXIS STABILIZED GIMBAL SYSTEM
  • SUPPORTS A MULTITUDE OF CAMERAS & LENSES (FROM MICRO FOUR-THIRDS TO RED EPIC *SIZED)
  • SIMPLE 5 MINUTE SETUP & BALANCE
  • BUILT-IN TOOL-LESS BALANCE ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM
  • BUILT-IN RECEIVER & REMOTE CONTROL AVAILABLE
  • MOBILE BLUETOOTH ASSISTANT SOFTWARE
  • BASED ON DJI ZENMUSE TECHNOLOGY
  • GIMBAL TUNING STAND
  • FIRMWARE UPGRADABLE

IMPRESSIVE CONTROL EXPERIENCE

SMOOTHTRACKTM CONTROL

SmoothTrackTM gives the single gimbal operator the ability to translate their tilt and pan movements of the gimbal into smooth and stabilized movements of the cameraís angle. Framing of broad wide-angle scenes or even close quarters becomes much easier during single gimbal operator use.

AUTO CONFIGURATION

After balancing the camera with a simple tap of the ATS (Auto Tune Stability) button, Ronin will be automatically tuned for your camera rig. The gimbal will intelligently adjust parameters based off the camera rigs weight and independently adjust each individual axis until an optimal setting is found.

UPRIGHT OPERATION MODE

Upright Mode allows the gimbal to be flipped over and operate the camera closer to eye level without straining to lift the gimbal. This can be used in various situations such mounting on the top of the vehicle. There are no limitations.

SUSPENDED OPERATION MODE

Standard gimbal operation is in Suspended Operation Mode. Low slung, close to the ground or simply holding the gimbal in front of you offers completely smooth and stabilized footage. This mode would also be used when mounted to a flying platform such as a multirotor.

2ND OPERATOR CONTROLLER

A 2nd operator transmitter is also included with the package. This allows for pan and tilt control as well user assignable speeds and operation modes with 2 custom toggle switches on the transmitter.

OPTIONAL JOYSTICK PAN/TILT

Single thumb control is available for the Ronin Handheld Gimbal System. Pan and Tilt movements can be controlled via the optional joystick attachment. SmoothTrackTM mode can be turned on or off via the optional joystick interface.

POWERFUL HARDWARE SUPPORT

• Support for DJI Lightbridge Full HD Video Downlink
  • Quick Release Smart Battery System with 4-Hour+ Run Time
  • Quick Release Top Handle Bar for Easy Break-Down & Mounting to Various Platforms
  • Dual 15mm Rods for Follow-Focus or Matte Boxes
  • Precision High Power, High Torque Brushless Motors
  • Top Bar Accessory Mounts

PICS:

I was able to find this video on Youtube of the Ronin in action:

DJI Ronin Gimbal hands-on | Engadget (2 min 28 sec)

For more information: DJI

Last edited by Sleepyc; Apr 14, 2014 at 09:42 AM..

Discussion

Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:41 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,937 Posts
I saw it at NAB. Pretty impressive unit for a prototype and the announced price of less than $5000 is almost 1/3rd of the competing handhelds.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:45 PM
Cinematographer
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Jun 2013
1,900 Posts
e

This is a real game changer. We just purchased what i had thought was a pretty good 3 axis gimbal for our Red Epic. It does the job,but is very sensitive to lens changes and the moving around of our RT motion wireless follow focus rig.

I would highly recommend doing real world testing before purchasing ANY of the 3 axis gimbals now available. Reason I say this is we recently did a 5 day shoot in a car manufacturing plant and had minor issues each time when swapping out a lens on the Epic. The need to use tools (allen wrenches etc) slowed down our ability to do quick lens changes and stay on schedule.

This new gimbal may address the down time it takes in rebalancing the gimbal with each changing of a lens etc!The no tool and auto tune capabilities will be a great asset in the field for sure!
Burntpixel is offline Find More Posts by Burntpixel
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:34 PM
United States, CA, Alhambra
Joined Mar 2013
354 Posts
Should be making my pre order today.
TheAC is offline Find More Posts by TheAC
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:35 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
The tool-less setup looks pretty cool, I also like how you can raise up the camera to head height too. Very cool.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:38 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
The tool-less setup looks pretty cool, I also like how you can raise up the camera to head height too. Very cool.
Correct, The unit I played with a NAB has 3 modes.. Head height, Chest and walking the dog mode. It changes modes by the way you hold it, all automatic.

The auto tune and tool-less setup was very cool. They changed from a RED to a 5d in about 5mins.
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2013
354 Posts
Well I made the mistake of calling DJI. Spent a total of 3 hours over 3 calls before I talked to someone. All for them to say we know nothing. LOL

on the plus side my Tmotor 18in cf for my kraken came in today. A2 and batts in a few days and I can build her. Just need the Ronin to fly our Sony F5
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:23 PM
United States, OH, Kinsman
Joined May 2013
229 Posts
Hope that alexmos comes up with some nice software for this cause harware is easy to copy!
fr3style is online now Find More Posts by fr3style
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:48 PM
Joined Mar 2013
354 Posts
The 32bit controller is out or almost out should make a huge difference. I do see alexmos coming out with a selftune. They are good that way always trying to make it better.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:26 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,741 Posts
Walking dog mode is not much of a benefit. neither is head height if you are using an attached monitor. What is nice is the lack of wires, autotune and tool-less adjustments. price compared to MOVI is spot on especially what you get. however, alexmos or the likes will have this in the DIY realm at a fraction of the cost.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Apr 22, 2014, 01:06 AM
Joined Apr 2014
40 Posts
I saw one thread mentioned that Ronin is a rebrand of MOVI M10?
helipal is offline Find More Posts by helipal
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:19 AM
Joined Apr 2014
40 Posts
http://www.freeflysystems.com/products/moviM10.php

NAB 2013 - Hands On with the MoVI Camera Stabilizer from FreeFly (5 min 44 sec)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:24 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipal View Post
I saw one thread mentioned that Ronin is a rebrand of MOVI M10?
Highly unlikely.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:32 AM
Joined Apr 2014
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Highly unlikely.
But,looks almost the same

Last edited by helipal; Apr 22, 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:41 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
I wouldn't say it looks exactly the same. Most gimbals look similar by their very nature.

flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor