HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by davidterrell80, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 08:48 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
Discussion
I broke my SE-5a

I went flying Saturday morning. Behind my runway area is a dumpster belonging to the building next door. A truck arrived to take the dumpster away. I was near the end of the battery and was on approach to final. The truck was about 20 feet behind me and the motor was loud bit not terrible.

As I crossed the threshold, about 5 feet up... the driver thought it would be fun to watch me as he rammed the dumpster while sounding his horn. A jerk of my head, and of my thumb, produced a nose up into a stall and she pancaked onto the asphalt. The driver laughed aloud until he saw me picking up pieces.

He was man enough to stop the truck and come apologize, although he did not offer to make good the damage to my $200 plane.

The fuselage broke in two. All the cabanes sheared and the associated wing and fuselage attach fixtures as well. The undercarriage splayed. The lower wing attach fitting ripped from the fuselage.

It's the broken plastic parts that hurt. I can glue foam together. I figure it will take an upper wing to get the plastic fittings, a new set of cabanes, and probably a new fuselage, because of the broken cabane fittings there.

I may try to fix her without ordering parts and just buy another one, before she is discontinued.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2014, 09:14 PM
United States, VA, Vienna
Joined Jun 2013
80 Posts
I think the last laugh is yours, in that you were spending your saturday in the field and he was spending it working.
wga22 is offline Find More Posts by wga22
Old Apr 13, 2014, 09:56 PM
foam gone wild!
United States, IN, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2011
162 Posts
Sorry about your loss neat plane!
jbrracer is offline Find More Posts by jbrracer
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:36 AM
Joined May 2012
1,074 Posts
Sorry Dave.

That driver is a jerk ... to deliberately cause that damage and then to laugh about it.

I have no idea how some people live with themselves.

T
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
Progress.

The fuselage is repaired. I successfully fabricated a cabane mount. I'm going to wait to fix it in place until the wing is ready. The cabane in question (forward-right) has mounts broken at both top and bottom. The rear-right is broken at the top, on the wing. I purchased the replace parts for the struts.

I'm going to finish all of the repairs so I can assemble the wings to the fuselage and use the assemble as an alignment jig to place and align the two broken mounts. I will then tack them down with a dot of CA, remove the top wing, place a bit of fiberglass around the mount, and inject some epoxy to bond it all together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
Progress. Except for touch-up paint, she's ready for testing.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
I got her flying again!
I ended up fabricating two cabane attachment points from pieces cut from a block of oak, left over from a furniture repair.
And I only had one-click of trim change in the ailerons from before the crash.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2014, 08:17 PM
foam gone wild!
Joined Apr 2011
162 Posts
Congrats on a solid repair
Old May 17, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,934 Posts
Thanks! I flew the SE-5 twice today and it is good to have it back.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2014, 10:34 AM
foam gone wild!
Joined Apr 2011
162 Posts
Its nice to see someone repair instead of replacing