HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2014, 05:52 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Discussion
Standoff In Nevada

Anyone got an opinion on this? From my casual reading it looks like the rancher ignored the law and for too long.
Quote:
A long-simmering dispute between a Nevada cattle rancher and the federal Bureau of Land Management has reached a boiling point, and participants have their fingers crossed it won’t erupt into violence.
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/04/...tandoff-111391

Drudge:
STANDOFF AT NEVADA RANCH...
200 Armed Federal Agents Surround Farm...
Snipers...
'Range War'...
Cattle Seized...
Governor Calls Roundup 'Intimidation'...
Blasts 'First Amendment Area'...
Senator: 'Overreaching'...
Family: 'Wake up America...they are taking everything from us'...
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 09, 2014, 06:01 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
"Public" land no longer belongs to the public and it's been that way for years now. When I was a kid my mother was a "rock hound". We traveled all over the U.S. collecting rocks (agate, jade, jasper, obsidian, etc.) to take home to cut and polish. Now most of the areas we used to collect on are 'off limits", not just to collection, but to ever visit. "Wilderness areas" have grown without limit and we the people are no longer welcome on our own land.

Sometimes I am glad that I am as old as I am, not only did I get to experience things kids now only hear of but I won't see the ultimate outcome of the complete government takeover.

It's so very sad...
Windrider53 is online now Find More Posts by Windrider53
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:16 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,896 Posts
$3,300 per head to herd cattle seems a bit steep. But, if it will save just one tortoise...
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
Anyone got an opinion on this? From my casual reading it looks like the rancher ignored the law and for too long.
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/04/...tandoff-111391

Drudge:
STANDOFF AT NEVADA RANCH...
200 Armed Federal Agents Surround Farm...
Snipers...
'Range War'...
Cattle Seized...
Governor Calls Roundup 'Intimidation'...
Blasts 'First Amendment Area'...
Senator: 'Overreaching'...
Family: 'Wake up America...they are taking everything from us'...

Looks like the guy is an old nutcase trying to skirt the laws that he thinks don't apply to him, but that the other ranchers are following with no problems.

He's like on of those guys trying to prove a point by not paying their taxes.

Just because it's "public" land doesn't mean the public can do whatever they damned well please on it. I guess since it's "public" land that means I'm entitled to dump my garbage, a few old couches, and a couple of junk cars on it too.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:36 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Sounds like the guy is a nut job.

Quote:
He stopped paying his grazing fees back then [1993], saying he “fired” the Bureau of Land Management as land manager.
He fired the entire Federal Bureau of Land Management so they would not be able to collect the grazing fees.
Sonny McGhee is offline Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
My mother leased our ranch for grazing. The land was stocked more heavily than he paid for; then he refused to pay the lease. She gave the guy a week to get off the land. If he did not he would have been arrested for trespass, etc. He packed up an left.

This was back in the 1990's. Charge was $6 per animal unit per year. I understand that Federal land is leased for a much lower price. Anyone know the going rate?
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:05 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,691 Posts
I think the Feds actually like guys like this. It will end with him dead and they get to send out a message to vigilantly men just who runs the show.

Watch and learn
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:11 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
His ancestors have worked the land since 1887. That's nice. I've heard the natives want the land back, too. Maybe he should get in line behind them.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:13 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Looks like the guy is an old nutcase trying to skirt the laws that he thinks don't apply to him, but that the other ranchers are following with no problems.

He's like on of those guys trying to prove a point by not paying their taxes.

Just because it's "public" land doesn't mean the public can do whatever they damned well please on it. I guess since it's "public" land that means I'm entitled to dump my garbage, a few old couches, and a couple of junk cars on it too.
Dod you miss this
Quote:
His Mormon ancestors had tilled the unforgiving soil since 1887, long before the 1934 Taylor Grazing Act allowed the federal government to seize control, TheBlaze reported.
As usual the government changed the rules on him mid game. His family had historical rights to that land the government did their usual grab and the heck with a man's rights.

The government is stealing our rights one by one and selling them back to us. If I want to replace my built-in dishwasher with a newer model I have to get a permit, even if I do it myself. And I am well qualified to do the wiring needed.

Oh, and if I do get the permit now, thanks to a new law I will have to replace every plumbing fixture in my house with a "low flow" one whether I want to or not.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:17 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrider53 View Post

As usual the government changed the rules on him mid game. His family had historical rights to that land the government did their usual grab and the heck with a man's rights.
Isn't that exactly how the US was founded?
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee View Post
Isn't that exactly how the US was founded?
There is a fare amount of difference between the 1700's and 1934.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:21 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Dod you miss this

The government is stealing our rights one by one and selling them back to us. If I want to replace my built-in dishwasher with a newer model I have to get a permit, even if I do it myself. And I am well qualified to do the wiring needed.

Oh, and if I do get the permit now, thanks to a new law I will have to replace every plumbing fixture in my house with a "low flow" one whether I want to or not.
Mid game. Did you hurt yourself stretching for that one? He, he. Mid game for him would have been the 1980s unless he's 160 years old.

Families don't have 'historical rights' to property unless they have a deed for it. Otherwise, natives would be the only ones with 'historical rights' to any land in this country.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
So that isn't how the US got their land then?
Old Apr 09, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
$6.00 a head according to Jim, but that was in the 1990's...... in 1934 dollars that'd be 62 cents.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 09, 2014, 09:52 PM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
624 Posts
Anything the BLM touches they screw up. I hope this rancher wins.
Mike McCrea is offline Find More Posts by Mike McCrea