HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2004, 05:18 PM
Clifton, VA
Joined Mar 2003
83 Posts
flying stab

grizz -
Thanks for taking the time and providing the details and pics - very clear. Much appreciated. Neat system. I'm hoping to get mine done this week. I have all the parts including the Depron.

I fly in our local club plyon races. We all fly Shrikes with .061 Norvel RC engines. It's a blast. We use the 2 pylon method and fly 10 laps. We all stand near one pylon but off the course and fly in a position like you would fly a sport plane. The pylon at the other end is tough to negotiate for some but most do OK. Usually 3 or 4 planes per heat. We've clocked speeds at 80 and 90 mph. The little buggers come in at about 13 ozs RTF (dry). We use stock 15% and adjust head shims accordingly. All use the same fuel and stock engine. We had about 20 pilots buy kits and engines but only about 10 race and maybe 6 or 7 regulars. We hold about 4-6 races each year.
I also fly RC Combat. Mostly B and A class with some 1/2A. I like racing better - less repairs or new planes to acquire. I've been combating for about 10 years now and am just about over it. It's all local stuff.
I'm getting more and more into electrics. I like aerial photography as well. The flat plate wing foamies are really cool. What gw and TH have been doing with the neat power systems coming out is amazing compared to just a couple of years ago.

Sorry about the last part being off topic but you guys started it!
Thanks. Good luck should you start racing! It's a blast!!!
Pat
N2UMK is offline Find More Posts by N2UMK
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2004, 08:39 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Jul 2002
336 Posts
Yak54

Well today I went to the clubs flying field to check out a fun fly they had going on. Once I arrived I saw 2 Yak 54 planes that I recognized right away. Anyways, I talked to Grizzlyone for a bit then he offered to let me crash, uhem I mean fly one of his planes. I asked which one he liked least and I would give that one a go. After getting used to for a few minutes it was a little more relaxing to fly. Needless to say once my Depron gets here, I will have to build one of these planes. =) Thanks for letting me fly the Yak Griz. Next time I see you will probably be with a Yak of my own.

Jason
Blazin_Jason is offline Find More Posts by Blazin_Jason
Old Apr 03, 2004, 08:49 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Guys,
I have to tell....

I screwed up today. I cracked up the GW 330.

I broke the the nose on the plane that is featured in the "Let's Build a GW-ezone 40" 330" thread.

I was testing a Lehner setup and the motor was so stron it allowed me to do things that were not possible until I tried it. I wasn't even running the motor but 15.6 amps on a 11x4.7. I could have run the motor at 30 amps easily.

Well, I did a few waterfalls and was 'catching' it in a hover and kept dowing that, and a gust hit it and blew it into knife, and I hit top rudder an power to 'get it' but it went hard in on the nose.

It was one of those things where if I didn't hit the power it would have clipped the wing.

Well, it hit HARD on the nose and demolished the whole nose section up to the LE of the wing.

I'm gonna try and fix it if I can come up with a decnt way. If I do, I'll show what I did and post a new thread with the info.

I feel real bad as this was a awesome airplane that flew very straight, but when you fly with no airspeed and no altitude, you WILL prang planes.

I don't feel real bad, I just feel bad for GW because this was a special plane...it was the prototype for the 40" Extra.

I'm gonna try to pull a 6 million dollar man "If I can fix him I will...better than new...with a bionic nose section even" hehe

I just felt dirty becaue I have no 'come clean' about the fiasco.

That is all...
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Old Apr 03, 2004, 09:20 PM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
Ahh,, shoot Tim,,, just build a 45" version now
Fun to the next level !

GW
GW is offline Find More Posts by GW
Old Apr 03, 2004, 09:44 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Hey Guys,

Jason. Nice meeting you at the field today. Glad to have made another convert to the GW way!. Hurry up Depron...

Jason had my 39" Yak down pat in about 2 minutes and was wringing it out no probs. I think my ailerons scared him a little though...Adequate roll rate!

Sharky, these things have a limited life span. If you don't break 'em you aren't flying/trying hard enough. I seem to rough 'em up enough that they're getting ugly enough to retire in about 2-3 weeks. The design evolves with each iteration.

GW. I've got V6 just about ready for gear. You may assume that I like the design...Judging by conversations today there'll soon be 3 more at the field.

Cheers,
Griz
grizzlyone is offline Find More Posts by grizzlyone
Old Apr 03, 2004, 11:54 PM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
Griz
Glad your still enjoying the model. Thats what its all about.
I ran across a guy last week flying a flat foam model in a vacant Wal-Mart parking lot. I had just left Burger King with my lunch. Pulled in to see what he was flying, and would sit and watch while he flew I thought. Wouldn't you know it, it was a plane built from my Yak 40" plans that I had emailed another Ezone member unknowingly in the ajoining county here in AL. We are getting together Wendsday for some flying . Thats "IS" what its all about!

This is the second encounter I have had with a modeler I did not know flying a plane I sent plans for and crossing paths with later on. Its just amazing to me.

. Im working on some new 40 and 45" YAK plans tonite, with a bit more detail to work with. Dont know the time frame as the new job title I have also came with alot more responsibility and time commitment. Priorities you know.

Keep up the fun, share the plans to all , and lets all have a great time with $10 worth of foam with $200 of electric gear attached.

Later all,

GW
Old Apr 04, 2004, 05:08 AM
Luv 2 Fly
Whetstone/Sr. Vista, Arizona, United States
Joined Apr 2004
539 Posts
GW-ezone..

Where do you get a set of your YAK plans??..

Dave
DaveF is offline Find More Posts by DaveF
Old Apr 04, 2004, 05:19 AM
Helicrack Addict
Australia, QLD, Forest Lake
Joined Dec 2003
516 Posts
Just PM GW with your email address and let him know which plans you'd like. Easy huh!
whopper is offline Find More Posts by whopper
Old Apr 04, 2004, 02:38 PM
ProBro 2174
Santos-Sao Paulo-Brazil
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
GW

In a Brazilian group, I made some comments about the Yak and how good it looks and fly and some guys were interested on the plans but can not speak English.
Would you mind if I forward the plans you sent me to them ?
Of course the credit is all yours.
I just don`t want to do it without your consent.
OJ
Brazilnut is offline Find More Posts by Brazilnut
Old Apr 04, 2004, 06:41 PM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
OJ, Share away.

GW
Old Apr 05, 2004, 12:55 AM
Luv 2 Fly
Whetstone/Sr. Vista, Arizona, United States
Joined Apr 2004
539 Posts
GW,

Thanks for the plans.. they look great..

Dave
DaveF is offline Find More Posts by DaveF
Old Apr 06, 2004, 07:15 AM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
FWIW,

A/C World has Razor 350's in stock today. Got one on the way myself. Just could not resist. I have had a Heli V2 and was very satisfied with it, Never had a R350 of my own , so I guess I can call it a research purchase?? Yea, thats my story , how could I possibly every recommend the motor without proper evaluations?
Later all

GW
Old Apr 06, 2004, 12:40 PM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
Can someone MotoCalc this for me.

Razor 350

GWS D Gearing

APC 12x3.8 prop

1300 Irate 3s1p pack

Thanks

GW

I am thinking if I can get enough thrust 24-26 ozs, I will install it in a 40" Yak

GW
Old Apr 06, 2004, 12:48 PM
I fly, therefore...
Santa Blah Blah
Joined Dec 2002
389 Posts
GW

Not sure how this will show up but here's a try. You'll be right in the middle or your range. Also, the title is wrong, I just put your parameters in an existing project to look at static thrust.

Paul
dsBeliever is offline Find More Posts by dsBeliever
Old Apr 06, 2004, 12:49 PM
Everything flies....
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
You get 24oz thrust with Etec 1200's and 25oz thrust with tp2100's on the 12x3.8. I don't have 1320's in my database. If you go with a 12x6 you get 28.6 and 27.1 oz thrust respectively which is what I run on my Miss June.

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead