HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2004, 04:00 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Servo Arms

COMPOSITE SERVO ARMS,JR (8) [SOT342]
by SONIC TRONICS, INC.

URL >>> http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/serv...tBy=ProdNumAsc

Scroll Down to the 3rd item from the bottom.

They are long black servo arms and they fit the JR splines like a glove. It has arms for pull pull and the half arms for ailerons. These will give you insane throws...more than you'll ever need.
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Last edited by SharksTooth; Jun 12, 2004 at 04:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Can someone also send me the 36" Yak plans to:
mrebman@cinci.rr.com

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:52 AM
Aerobatic Extremist
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
New 45" Extra Beta

Hi Everybody,
I've been ill off and on for the last couple of months and haven't got much done, but things have taken a turn for the better, and I finally got on that 45" and about have it knocked out. Here is a pic of the plane dry assembled and hinged. I'll be aligning and gluing it tomorrow and it'll be ready for paint. I will have to wait a bit for my new motor and GB to get here. The plane is getting a Lehner 1020/15 on a new Cobri 28 red anodized aluminum GB. You think it's gonna have enough power? Stay tuned...there will be flight reports as soon as I get the motor on it. That's all I'm waiting for at this point.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 05:30 AM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
Can someone also send me the 36" Yak plans to:
mrebman@cinci.rr.com

-Thanks-

Mike
You have mail.

Boss
Old Jun 23, 2004, 08:27 AM
Tulsa Int, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Oct 2003
246 Posts
Would someone be kind enough to send me the 36" plans....computer crash has robbed my joy...

kamiat@oklahoma.net

Thanks,
wild
wildnloose is offline Find More Posts by wildnloose
Old Jun 23, 2004, 09:29 AM
Clearwater FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Shark, What are you using to hinge with?

My last two planes I have had problems with the hinge tape comming off after a couple of days in this 100 degree 100% humidity weather we are having.

Thanks Craig
CraigT is offline Find More Posts by CraigT
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:28 AM
Aerobatic Extremist
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Hinging

Hi Craig,
I've been using Sonic Tronics Nifty Hinges since I've been building these. They are CA hinges. Here is a URL to what I use.> http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/serv...=ALL&tag=qsrch I go ahead and get the big 36 pack because I know I'll be using more.

I also double bevel all my controls, and the main surfaces- like on the IMAC planes. Double bevel the wing and aileron, stab and elevator, and fin and rudder. I do this very carefully to make sure the hinge line is dead on center. In fact I mark the centerline, and measure 3mm back from the edge on the top and the bottom of the surface and sand to those lines. It does take some time to do this, and it's not one of my favorite chores of the building, but it allows a full 90 degrees of sweep, while allowing the hinge line to stay almost tight. I still do tape my controls to seal the hinge lines, as it makes the controls more effective. Hinging should eliminate your problem though. I'd say you're getting some flexing on the ailerons, and it's helping the tape to pull off some.

I used 4 on each aileron, 3 on the Rudder, and 3 on the elevator of the 45" Extra in the picture. I simply cut a slot on the hinge line after rechecking that my bevel is dead centered. After all the slots are in, slide all hinges in, move the control to full throw in BOTH directions, then bend it full throw and wick in thin Odorless CA (Foam Safe). <Note:It MUST be thin. I use Bob Smith because I know it will not melt the foam...some foam safes will and I don't know which ones those are, but I do know the Bob Smith works on the Depron.>

Be sure to wick the CA in On both sides of the hinge line on the top and then immediately move to the bottom. Don't be stingy with the glue here. You don't have to go hog wild, but make sure there is plenty in there as the open cell foam soaks some up. This will also help harden the area around the hinge and keep it from pulling out.

One other thing to note- The Odorless takes a bit to cure. Do NOT use kicker as it will melt the foam. Also, until the stuff is fully cured keep going back to the controls and working them back and forth about 40 times. You want to be sure those hinges stay broke-in and do not get brittle. One trick that helps this is to turn the hinge so the slot in it goes lengthwise with the hinge line, and take care not to get too much glue. They will not be quite as free as the tape, but they do break in in time.
Last edited by SharksTooth; Jun 23, 2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 03:54 PM
Clearwater FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Here's stupid question. which way do those hinges go in? are the slots in the hinge parallel to the hinge line or are the slots perpendicular to the hinge line?
CraigT is offline Find More Posts by CraigT
Old Jun 23, 2004, 04:06 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
I install mine with the slot parallel to the hinge line. It lets them move a little more free, and gives more surface area for gluing. It also allows you to get the same amount of hinge on each side by slipping and X-Acto knife in the slot and aligning them all before gluing. I don't how they're 'supposed' to go, but that's the way I do 'em.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:37 PM
I fly, therefore...
Santa Blah Blah
Joined Dec 2002
389 Posts
and freekin'

I just had (well about an hour and a half ago) what was probably my best flight to date. Consecutive waterfalls, rock solid hovers and torque rolls within inches of the deck and knife edges (with no mixing) also within inches of the deck.

This airplane is weird in a good way. If you manage to enter your hover without chasing it around the sky it seems to find this place where it looks like it drops into a slot and just stays there with very little correction. It literally looks like it snaps into a slot!

Anyway, I've been working on torque rolls for a while now and tonight I seemed to find the groove a couple of times. Very cool. Thanks GW (wherever you are). This airplane is a blast!
dsBeliever is offline Find More Posts by dsBeliever
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:58 AM
Jason
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Jun 2004
878 Posts
could someone please send me the yak 36" plans as well? Thanks

super_nova_84@hotmail.com
super_nova is offline Find More Posts by super_nova
Old Jun 30, 2004, 02:30 PM
Levittown,PA
Joined Jan 2003
432 Posts
Can someone please send me a 45'' yak plan file , Thanks in advance,Jack. E-Mail Jackspt28@AOL.com
Jackspt28 is offline Find More Posts by Jackspt28
Old Jul 02, 2004, 11:16 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Hi All,
I PM'd GW but he must be busy as he has not yet responded. Could someone send me the most recent 36" 330 and Yak plans. elimsprint@cablelan.net. They both look so good I'll have to do both Thanks,
Kim
I forgot to state, Fullsize please, if possible. And also GW good to see you back, and thanks again for the great planes and giving them to us mere mortals who can't design and barely fly, we're not worthy !!!
Kim
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint
Last edited by elimsprint; Jul 02, 2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2004, 11:29 AM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
Hey guys and gals, been very busy with work the last 8 weeks or so.
I will try to locate the plan sets and email them this coming week. I have them saved to a disk somewhere I hope. I did a full redo on my home PC about 6 weeks ago and the plans on my compter went with the format. IF you have a set, please share them with the ones requesting them, as I may not have the originals, but I will look around for them.

Later all
GW
GW is offline Find More Posts by GW
Old Jul 02, 2004, 02:25 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Thanks All,
I have recieved the plans.
Kim
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint