Here's part 1:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...79#post1591179

Carry on!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2004, 12:29 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
GW,
I got the stuff to get going on the 45"...FINALLY! hehe I had to wait on those Tubes. Troy is sending out the Lehner combo and it should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I should have the plane done in about a week now. This is the airplane that I'm building for my freind. I'm also going to build one for me too when i get a break from all these build jobs I have lined up.

Just thought I'd touch base with you. I haven't been on here very much the last couple of weeks. I've been flat covered up...that and contest season is now here so if I'm not working, building, or going to classes, I'm flying.

I'll get some pictures while I'm going along and will post them soon. Thgis airplane will be yellow and black and white and I'll be using the Lite Film on it again.

Here's the rundown on what it's gonna have...

GW 45" 330 Extreme (will have the monster controls)
Motor: Lehner 1020 15 (4000 Kv)
ESC: CC P35
GB: GWS 350C 5.5:1 (66T Spur, 12T Stainless Pinion) GB will have the BPP Plate, hardened Cobri Shaft, MP Jet Collet Adapater also.
Servos: JR 241 Sub-Micro
Receiver: JR 610M Micro 6 Ch Receiver
Radio: 10x
Batteries: Tanic 3s 2200 w/Tanic Taps

Extras include CF Control Horns from "Fancy Foam", Sonic Tronics Servo Arms (these are NICE!), CF Gear with Lexan wheelpants, CF/Aluminum 5mm Tubes for the wing, and a 'trick' pull-pull setup that I'm gonna take some pictures of.
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Old Mar 26, 2004, 07:16 PM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
Cool !! Keep us posted

GW
GW is offline Find More Posts by GW
Old Mar 26, 2004, 08:05 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,619 Posts
Hey GW, good post, made it to part 2, great, I love it.

Spring is here, and the fun really begins.

Your designs are going to get a workout now, and I'm sure, EVERYONE will be as impressed and pleased as I am.

Keep up the good work!!!
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2004, 03:15 PM
Johns Island, SC, USA
Joined Jan 2004
73 Posts
Hey guys,

I have posted some new video of my Yak. I was only able to get 4 minutes of video. I was just getting warmed up when I landed on a stick and broke my elevator control horn. If it seems I'm out-of-control at times, its because I had just added 40% more aileron throw. Couldnt really get her hung on the prop as I had accidentally added some washout to the ailerons when upping the throw.

Enough excuses for my flying, its called "Two Short Flights", there are low- and hi-res versions:

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showgall...p?ppuser=27087

Enjoy!
Capn_Marlin is offline Find More Posts by Capn_Marlin
Last edited by Capn_Marlin; Mar 27, 2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:37 PM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
Capn_Marlin
Downloading the vid now, which version did you build? 36"? 2 piece fuse with tabs?

GW
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:53 PM
Johns Island, SC, USA
Joined Jan 2004
73 Posts
Yak 36, you sent me the plans on January 25. If there are more recent/updated plans, I would appreciate receiving them. My current is starting to take some abuse as I push my limits, broke a motor mount today (3rd in two weeks) but I had two flights, totalling 55 minutes, that were shear bliss. I'll be taking more video next week—hopefully some a little more impressive.

thanks for the plans, this plane rocks, and the horiz fuse is a great shock absorber.

bigbw40@bellsouth.net
Old Mar 28, 2004, 01:41 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
3D Video of My GW 40" 330

Here is a Vid of me flying about month and half ago in the snow. This is the GW 40" Prototype I tested for GW. The plane does VERY well. Please excuse the quality...my capture drivers are not the best, but I am working on that issue. The file size 8 meg for the Bandwidth impared. The original is 63 meg and I will be uploading that also. Go here >>> http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showgall...0&ppuser=26178 and click on "Snow Flying" .

Hope you enjoy.

EDIT: Guys, I have tried 3 different time now to upload the video. I don't know what's up with the damned server, but I've given up on it. I got the small one uploaded, but the 63 meg one just won't complete. I did get it uploaded once, but it's reporting the wrong filesize and won't play. It says 123.6k and the filesize is actually 63.7M. I don't know what's going on with the thing except that it screwed up...I'm too aggravated with it to screw with it anymore.
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Last edited by SharksTooth; Mar 28, 2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 06:47 PM
Johns Island, SC, USA
Joined Jan 2004
73 Posts
I am going to build a second Yak. Which is better, the one piece or the two piece notched fuse? Opinions appreciated.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:10 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Yakety-Yak

A couple of Yaks:

LilBro
36" GW Yak with 3/4" increased wing chord (personal V4)
Depron Zagi Tape Permopaque marker.
Razor MHV2
GWS "D" Gearing 6.6:1
GWS RS 12x6
CC Phoenix 10
Electron 6
4xPico+
14.1 oz AUW with 3S1P Irate 1300's

Pull-Pull El/Rudder
grizzlyone is offline Find More Posts by grizzlyone
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:13 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
BigBro

39" GW Yak (personal V5) (scaled down from 44" plans)
Depron, gift wrapping film.
AXI 2212-26
GWS RS 11x4.7
CC Phoenix 25
Electron 6
4xWaypoint 084's
15.9 oz AUW with 3S1P Irate 1300's

Pull-Pull Full Flying Stab/Pull-pull Rudder
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:15 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
A nice pair

Bros
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:16 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
ProBro?

Going for the 1000 yd stare...
Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:58 AM
GW
Shula Who??
Guntersville, AL
Joined Aug 2003
932 Posts
Wonderful Griz !!!
The colors on the new one!! Perfect!!!
Tell us more about the Wraping film? How applied?

Now that you have tried the little /26 Axi, whats your opinion on the use of one on the Flatplate models?
How did you mount yours?

I have seen other photos of the ProBro's. You look like you may just have the look needed for their membership !!

The Grizzly name fits you just fine as well.

My Hair will grow on my face like that too, but I just cant seem to get it to grow atop my scalp anymore.

GW

GW
Last edited by gw-ezone; Mar 29, 2004 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:47 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Hey GW,

My wife found the gift wrapping in a local dollar store after I showed her a pic of a plane another E-zoner had covered in this fashion. Its very thin light weight plastic gift wrapping film with a Laser? etched pattern. Almost like a holographic pattern. It is chatoyant and flashes in the sun. It comes packaged as two folded sheets (+/-18"x30") in a ~ 4"x"11" plastic bag and was displayed on a pegboard. $1 a pack! Canadian! $2 worth of material...

The film is applied with 3M-77. Mask, spray and let tack up competely, then smooth the film on and trim. Lots of masking involved and it was quite tedious to work with. You have to stretch the film out and masking tape it to a flat cutting surface to get straight cuts and angles. A fresh single edged razor blade works best.

The AXI. Hmmm...

I've read some of the recent debates about the merits of the little outrunners vs. inrunners here. I had two things in mind when I bought the AXI. I wanted to get rid of the gearbox whine and I was fed up with replacing "D" spurs on my GB's every time I misjudged and slammed a #9. I have resolved both of these issues...

The AXI power system is heavier than the Razor MHV2 system and is comparable in weight to a Himax 2015-4100 system. (All in: prop, saver, GB, wires, connectors, controller).

I like the AXI power. It might be a very little bit slower in spool up than the Razor or that might just be a perception thing because of the lack of noise. It sure sucks amps (and moves air!) . 15A WOT with a fresh pack. I had purchased a CC10 to run this motor with and decided to test with a 25. I'm glad I did. I'm thinking I would have let all the smoke out of the 10 on the test stand. Flight times between the two systems on the same packs are comparable. The Razor run times might be a little longer. Both fly long enough that I've had enough before the end of the pack.

I think the AXI is better suited to the slightly larger application. The extra ounce would bring the wing loading up a little too high for my liking on the smaller model.

If you told me I could only have one motor I'd take the AXI. I think... But...you wouldn't do that to me would you?

I mounted the AXI using the reverse radial mounting kit. I hummed and hawed for a while about how to mount the beast and came up with the following solution. I wish I had had my cam in the shop...

0.125 CF tube is a snug fit in the back plate mounting holes. A 3-4" length of tube is pushed into each of the mounting holes from the rear so that the front ends of the tubes are flush with the front face of the mounting plate. A small 1/2" long (? size) screw into the tube will slightly expand the tubing in the mount hole making it a very tight fit. A drop of CA adds security. Ends up looking kinda like a quadro-pod with 3-4' long legs on 1 5/16" centers...

I drilled 3" holes in the covered vertical fuse section to accept the tubing and cut slots in the bottom of the flat fuse section. I hot glued the tubes in place. Clean simple and light. No issues yet. I will make the tubes a little longer on the next version to spread out the torque loads and I will not drill the holes in the fuse pieces but will slot all the surfaces on the sides opposing the torque forces...ie. right side of top vertical fuse, left side of bottom vertical fuse.

I'm having similar issues with hair distribution. I should have taken the pic last wk before I trimmed 2" off the beard. Gettin to be that time of year though...

Keep up the great work with the designs GW.

Cheers,
Griz