Florida
Joined Mar 2004
4 Posts
Yippee!
Anyone get an Aerobird Xtreme?

I got mine this morning.

Notable differences between this and an Aerobird Challenger:

-Much bigger everything.
-Wing has a carbon fiber rod embedded in it covered by tape.
-It has no back wheel.
-It comes with alligator clips attached to a cigarette lighter (for if you don't have a cigarette lighter in your car).
-It does not fit back in the box once you assemble the tail

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
YuniYoshi is offline Find More Posts by YuniYoshi
Last edited by YuniYoshi; Mar 25, 2004 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:07 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
How well does it fly. Have you flow the smaller "bird"s.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Mar 26, 2004, 01:43 AM
Florida
Joined Mar 2004
4 Posts
I have flown pretty much all the other Hobbyzone planes. I haven't gotten to fly my Xtreme yet.

I am probably going to fly it tomorrow. I hope it isn't too crazy!

Actually... the crazier the better.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 01:53 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Was talking over the new xtreme at the lhs this week; it's a BIG plane! There's a nice neoprene nose bumper now, so no more folded nose. There's a seperate button on the TX to activate the X-port (combat, drop module - I'm sure someone will hack up a camera switch )

It's substantially heavier and bigger than any of the previous HobbyZone planes, and imo really boarders on being a parkflyer.

Now, who's going to switch out the stock 540 for a Endo setup
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Mar 26, 2004, 02:28 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2004
4 Posts
Well, I flew it this morning. I brought my friend, my mom, my sister, and her friend.

The first thing I liked right away was the ability to take off from the ground in a place where my Aerobird Challenger wouldn't even think of it. The big wheels, motor, and wing really help get this thing off the ground.

The winds were pretty fast... about 15 mph. This plane handled the wind like it was nothing!

It wasn't long before I attempted my first loop. My mom freaked when I began the dive! Let me say this plane handles loops VERY well.

This plane is pretty much a bigger, better, and more sturdy Aerobird Challenger but there are two differences you have to watch out for.

-The turns are generally wider because duh it's bigger.
-The plane travels generally a good bit faster, even when gliding.

When it came time to land, I glided down, straighted out and pulled up a little. The wheels touched down and it looked as if it were landing on a runway. When it stopped, it flipped over.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2003
198 Posts
Yuni...
Congrats on you flight! I think as you get time on the ABX, you will find it has a wider speed range than the smaller ones... It will fly faster AND slower. I can land mine on even mediocre grass without flipping it over. I love the loops to... very straight and positive. (Take it easy on you mom!) Like you said, it is good at shaking off the wind.
Regards. ABII
aerobirdtoo is offline Find More Posts by aerobirdtoo
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:19 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Yuni,
how did the landing gear hold up? Will it need a lot of straightening with frequent use? How big is the battery compartment? Will it hold a wide array of batt's?
I would love to see a flight report from someone who has done a BL mod to it!!
Bill
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:41 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2004
4 Posts
The landing gear has been holding up just fine. I haven't had to re-adjust it yet.