Old Apr 02, 2014, 02:05 AM
Wasserkuppe wannabe
Central coast NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2006
108 Posts
Discussion
The looming threat to RC Submarines

Hi all,

Like you I love to run my model subs. I have been doing so for the last ten years . However recently I have had some concerns about the future of this aspect of the hobby.

My trusty 36mhz radio has started getting glitchy. As trying to narrow down the cause I have ascertained it is something with the transmitter. I then got online and started looking at the possibility of replacement.

I don't have a problem with 2.4 ghz. I've never actually used it , ( and I do fly gliders) however most of us seem to know that it does not work underwater. This is a problems for us Submariners.

Do you know how hard it is to find non-2.4ghz radios? I am convinced that the major RC companies are phasing out our old FM technology and this concerns me, and I have not really seen the issue raised on any of the chat forums. People seem oblivious.

I know that the second hand market will be around, initially picking up an FM radio ( be it 36 , 35 , 40 or 75 MHz) probably won't be too difficult initially and most people will probably get a good radio for a good price.

However in 4-5 years time as the second hand market 'dries up' so to speak then the price of these radios will probably slowly rise. As these radios get rarer and rarer there will be less people engaging in that hobby called rc subs and those that do will hold onto their radios like gold.

We live in a throw away society, if it dies just by a new one! , well what if that technology is no longer continued and has not been for years. What then?
I live just north of Sydney Australia, finding someone locally and even in Sydney who could fix my radio, good luck with that. I just pray that my other radios hold out for as long as possible because finding someone who can repair these old radios is like all the other things I've mentioned, probably going to get harder.

Maybe there are solutions that I have not thought of. If people do have solutions I would love to hear them. I do not know if there is some way that 2.4 ghz radios can be modified to transmit on our FM frequencies .I don't know I'n not electronically minded unfortunately.

I do think that this will only become a more pressing issue as time goes on. We are only a tiny percentage of the RC community and there are a lot of. Rc people who don't even know we exist. We have very little 'clout' with the big manufacturers.

In 5 years time will we be totally dominated by 2.4ghz with a small number of people hanging onto Fm? Worst case scenario I see being the RC community no longer being able to justify the use of it's allocated FM bands and having them reallocated to some other sector.

As mentioned earlier I would love to hear suggestions as to how we can find ways around this problem.

Thank you,

David Hughes
D Hughes is offline Find More Posts by D Hughes
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:11 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,470 Posts
Dave

Got my 36 down the local club free , sailed today actually ,

blew the free RX about 3weeks ago

got a Shulze 525 in the Sub, now ( already had it, for ages ) )

and the cheap JR TX as I said Freeby ,

So for the time being enjoy and maybe stock up, on 36

I got 2 feet down , Pretty happy

Ive been running a fully submerged 28 mm inrunner for 3 weeks full of water ,( fingers crossed )40 A ESC Approx 15 dives

Yes 2.4 is a pain , in Subs,,,,,,,, but they are cheap
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Last edited by NX-687; Apr 02, 2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Add
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:37 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
879 Posts

What good is a cheap radio if you can't use it.
redboat219 is online now Find More Posts by redboat219
Last edited by redboat219; Apr 02, 2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:48 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
879 Posts
I believe the Futaba 4GWD 27mhz AM is still avaible. Drawback is it's only 4 channels.

I have an old 72 mhz 6channel JR Propo I'm planning to use.
I know it's for aircraft use but AFAIK everybody here's has gone 2.4.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:15 AM
BUCURESTI
Joined Feb 2009
198 Posts
You put your finger on the wound David ...
I have a single 40MHz RC station with only 4 channels and I am REALY desperate as I never had the money to buy one with 6 channels .

Will be forced to tie balises from submarine to surface with antenna wire to use other frequencies!.
Because NO ONE will make for a handful of people around the world something special like RC station , and that's my STRONG OPINION .

MARIUS
profesorul is offline Find More Posts by profesorul
Old Apr 02, 2014, 10:56 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
879 Posts
Just realized something, majority of RC toys nowadays still come in 27 and 75 mhz albeit mostly 2-3 channels. Maybe there's a way for us to modify these to 4+ channels and extend the range.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:51 PM
BUCURESTI
Joined Feb 2009
198 Posts
If you can find Some Useful Information PLEASE let as know .

MARIUS
profesorul is offline Find More Posts by profesorul
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:01 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
446 Posts
You can still get new 40MHz and 75Mhz radios, I use WFly Radios and have been really pleased with them. My favorite thing is adding crystal less transmitter (like Futaba's) and now I can change to whatever frequency i need to (within the 75MHz range).
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Apr 03, 2014, 12:33 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Right now there aren't many choices available and over the next decade I think you're probably going to see the elimination of most if not all lower frequency oriented products. So...

One solution would be to create a Tactic Anylink for the lower frequencies. Hook it up to whatever radio you choose and you're good to go.

Another solution would be to create a bouy. The above water portion has a 2.4Ghz receiver which accepts signals from various 2.4Ghz radios. It then translates these signals into lower frequency signals and transmits them via a below water antenna. You might have to develop something like the Tactic Anylink on the 2.4Ghz side as well.

With either device, you're no longer relying on the various manufacturers to continue supporting the lower frequency signals, and can use whatever 2.4Ghz radio floats your boat.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:18 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
there are a few diy radio threads hidden throughout rcgroups, for those electronically inclined.
if it came down to it, there may be some brave member who would be willing to assist in designing something like a module for more current transmitters.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:10 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
906 Posts
I think the module system is the way to go. Quite a few good and inexpensive module based Transmitters on the market e.g. Turnigy 9XR, Fsky Taranis etc.

A plug in module on the older surface frequencies, preferably synthesized, with a generic 8-channel RX would suit most builders.

Specialized electronics are already produced for our hobby e.g. levellers, depth controllers, ballast controllers etc.

Radio poses somewhat more of a challenge owing to legislation, but I think that can be overcome. it would require a combined effort though from many countries and enthusiasts to make this a reality.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,470 Posts
Yo

What sort of Frequencys are real subs on for communication
Old Apr 04, 2014, 06:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,470 Posts
Dont bother

I read about it , Amazing
Old Apr 04, 2014, 06:41 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,470 Posts
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Right now there aren't many choices available and over the next decade I think you're probably going to see the elimination of most if not all lower frequency oriented products. So...

One solution would be to create a Tactic Anylink for the lower frequencies. Hook it up to whatever radio you choose and you're good to go.

Another solution would be to create a bouy. The above water portion has a 2.4Ghz receiver which accepts signals from various 2.4Ghz radios. It then translates these signals into lower frequency signals and transmits them via a below water antenna. You might have to develop something like the Tactic Anylink on the 2.4Ghz side as well.

With either device, you're no longer relying on the various manufacturers to continue supporting the lower frequency signals, and can use whatever 2.4Ghz radio floats your boat.
With a low enough Freq to operate model subs in Seawater , Ya