HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:55 PM
proud to be orange!
Australia, NSW, Avoca Beach
Joined Jul 2013
1,510 Posts
Embedded power distribution board to wire up battery, voltage reg, camera and FC... that would indeed be neat!
I plan to mount cam and battery on the daughter board, so that would leave a single pair of wires from the clutter pack to the main frame, and the complete pack could be moved from quad to quad.
benedikt is online now Find More Posts by benedikt
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsturning View Post
Thanks for the great feedback. Hope it continues to make you happy.
Motor mounts went out this morning. I'm sorry I had no time to add anything else once I got your last message.
It's cool. I though I would be too late.

The Efficiency frame is just perfection. I sent it inverted full throttle into a wooden wheelbarrow yesterday and thought I had broken it for sure as I saw a bit dangling when it hit. No damage - just a motor mount came loose
deleted is offline Find More Posts by deleted
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:40 PM
Joined Feb 2013
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
Dave!! Hi man; So I just got to fly my Flying person and the "Starswirl" or "Quactopus" at the park over grass, man they fly so nice it is great.
I flew the Starswirl especially because it has the vibrations I showed you on the vid. and it does not bother the flight so much but I do need to pad the Fc like I have been saying..
So it is basically a V252 right now, (stock v252, motors, props., and Fc, and battery) so when I get the Nano Fc it will be my turn to do acrobatics..
The flying person is Hot too man, now I have set my Devo 7e with the expo settings you set me up with but the 959 and the Person will not flip I can turn them sideways and crash a little but no complete flip so I do believe I have something set wrong..
So I need to get my battery game together and my Acro game together, and everyone needs to check out these frames, because the wood core obviously adds an Organic component to the flight feel!! which is what you see when you watch Btnewmans vid. the way the Quad just floats...man...
Petey...
Petey, it's so cool the quad still flew with the vibrations. It definitely had a very cool look and sound in your vid.
I'm looking forward to the acro flights.

Just to confirm the "V959" does have an nQX board installed and you have acro mode enabled? It sounds like you might be using the stability mode. You should be able to get it to flip over easily in acro mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
The h-frame looks very interesting.

It's always been my opinion though that if you have a multi-layered frame, one of those layers should be a PCB. That way it serves as both structural and electrical duties. Inconvenient wiring is a major sticking point on quads; perhaps even more so on the micros.

I've seen people mill PCB's, so if you've already got milling capabilities, you might already have the capability...
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a bit on my hands at the moment to consider taking on another material, but will see what I can do in the future. I pretty much only ever run motor wires and find that pretty easy, so it's hard for me to plan for all the other devices others may want to power. t1sugar's build seems somewhat similar to what you mention although probably not as integrated since I believe another frame had to be hacked apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt View Post
Embedded power distribution board to wire up battery, voltage reg, camera and FC... that would indeed be neat!
I plan to mount cam and battery on the daughter board, so that would leave a single pair of wires from the clutter pack to the main frame, and the complete pack could be moved from quad to quad.
I'm sorry, daughter board, clutter pack?? Whatever your putting together sounds real cool either way.

Thanks for your previous pic by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
It's cool. I though I would be too late.

The Efficiency frame is just perfection. I sent it inverted full throttle into a wooden wheelbarrow yesterday and thought I had broken it for sure as I saw a bit dangling when it hit. No damage - just a motor mount came loose
Awesome to hear. I too have been blown away by some of the hits I have been able to put the efficiency frame through.

I also have found that a bit of thread tightly wrapped around the square section of the motor mount can add a significant amount of durability to the 3d/SLA prototype motor mounts. A drop of super glue at each end of the thread secures it very well. This adds almost no weight, but so far seems much more durable. I was even able to repair a broken mount and it has taken some serious abuse since then. I didn't do the neatest job wrapping the thread and could have used a matching color, but it's working. I plan on dong this with all the prototype 8.5mm motor mounts I use.

The quad shown below has taken many big hits and pretty much needs new motors and props at this point, but does show the repaired mount, which I plan to continue using.
Name: IMG_4580.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 284.6 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4585.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 517.9 KB
Description:
woodsturning is online now Find More Posts by woodsturning
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:07 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,418 Posts
woodsturning, have you been trying to mow your lawn with that thing?
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:25 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,242 Posts
[QUOTE=woodsturning;28155977]Petey, it's so cool the quad still flew with the vibrations. It definitely had a very cool look and sound in your vid.
I'm looking forward to the acro flights.

Just to confirm the "V959" does have an nQX board installed and you have acro mode enabled? It sounds like you might be using the stability mode. You should be able to get it to flip over easily in acro mode.

Yeah Dave; Hi by the way, I do have Nqx boards on my V959 and the Flying Person
I have noticed that after inputting the settings they do not seem so much more hectic but when I go to try a flip, they turn sideways and never go right around..
(when I used to flip the stock Nano, with my Dx6i, I could get it to flip if i held the stick over in any direction..
But see this is also all stuff that I "think" because I have really low stick time, so I must experiment, but to the best of my knowledge at the mo.... I must have something set wrong and I have not had a moment to check..
I am dying to hear about the angled mounts Davie Woodsturning..lol...
Petey...
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Apr 22, 2014, 01:03 AM
proud to be orange!
Joined Jul 2013
1,510 Posts
Dave, sorry for the sloppy lingo
Daughter board = the second layer on the H-frame
Clutter pack = the camera board, voltage reg, battery, support frame, and all wires in between
Its been always very fiddly to fit these extra parts onto the frame. So when I can move all the "clutter" to an extra, removable platform, that would making building a lot easier.
Im pretty sure its going to be awesome

btw, we had a incidental propeller head brainstorm meeting at the beach, and thought: "how about making the H-frame longer?"
You could then either fly it over the short side (everything that goes fast is usually long an narrow), or sideways (meaning it pitches over the long axis). The sideway approach might provide a good lever to fly fast curves more accurately.
Same frame design, but around 11cm instead of 7cm.
Does that make sense?

I think we mostly build quads that hover nicely, and then "lets fly them".
We should start building quads that fly nicely (fast), and if they hover too, thats a bonus..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 01:15 AM
Team Warpsquad!!!
Joined Oct 2013
1,495 Posts
What's the saying? The fastest horse at the track is usually the worst at walking? Or something like that

I like fast and barely controllable.

One day I will calm one down and put a camera on it.
Btnewman is offline Find More Posts by Btnewman
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:35 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
2,232 Posts
Hi woods, just to let you know I replaced the brushless motors with true 1811s that I had laying around and they fit perfect! The grub and set screw was a much more precision fit so bravo! Question, on the brushless X frame, how are you mounting the battery and since it is basically flat , what are you using for landing legs or something to hold it up a little?

Have you thought about some small clip on legs for these frames just to lift them out of the grass a little etc? Once completed I'll post some more pictures of everything along with build notes and hopefully some video. Thanks!
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:43 PM
Standard orbit, Mr. Sulu
United States, CA, La Habra
Joined Feb 2014
109 Posts
Got my efficiency frame and 8.5mm mounts yesterday (I can't believe how rigid the frame is). Everything looks great, thanks Dave.

I'll be doing my build with an X4 board (until my new stuff comes) with 0820's, and will definitely wrap the square section of the motor mounts; that's a great tip. The thing should be a beast.

Thanks again.

...perhaps you can summarize the availability of your various frames and mounts.
Lochenvar is offline Find More Posts by Lochenvar
Old Apr 22, 2014, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2013
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
woodsturning, have you been trying to mow your lawn with that thing?
Yea, I got to keep ahead of it before the grass starts growing too fast. That is actually my crash test frame. I'm not crashing on purpose with it anymore but flying with no caution and trying all sorts of new stuff which results in lots of big hits per battery. I personally want to have a good idea on what this frame can handle so I'm throwing all I can at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
Yeah Dave; Hi by the way, I do have Nqx boards on my V959 and the Flying Person
I have noticed that after inputting the settings they do not seem so much more hectic but when I go to try a flip, they turn sideways and never go right around..
(when I used to flip the stock Nano, with my Dx6i, I could get it to flip if i held the stick over in any direction..
But see this is also all stuff that I "think" because I have really low stick time, so I must experiment, but to the best of my knowledge at the mo.... I must have something set wrong and I have not had a moment to check..
I am dying to hear about the angled mounts Davie Woodsturning..lol...
Petey...
Hopefully you find something simple in the Tx setup as I am out of ideas to fix your unflippable problem at the moment.
Sorry for the delay in the angled mounts. Easter consumed a bit more time than expected and a few other things have come up. I'll try my best to get to it ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt View Post
Dave, sorry for the sloppy lingo
Daughter board = the second layer on the H-frame
Clutter pack = the camera board, voltage reg, battery, support frame, and all wires in between
Its been always very fiddly to fit these extra parts onto the frame. So when I can move all the "clutter" to an extra, removable platform, that would making building a lot easier.
Im pretty sure its going to be awesome

btw, we had a incidental propeller head brainstorm meeting at the beach, and thought: "how about making the H-frame longer?"
You could then either fly it over the short side (everything that goes fast is usually long an narrow), or sideways (meaning it pitches over the long axis). The sideway approach might provide a good lever to fly fast curves more accurately.
Same frame design, but around 11cm instead of 7cm.
Does that make sense?

I think we mostly build quads that hover nicely, and then "lets fly them".
We should start building quads that fly nicely (fast), and if they hover too, thats a bonus..
Sounds great. Please let me know if there are any improvements I could make to the current design to make your mounting any easier.

As for the longer H, I can definitely make it happen. I have a handful of things to design at the moment but will see if I can sketch something up when I get to the right PC. Are you also looking for a longer top plate to match?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
Hi woods, just to let you know I replaced the brushless motors with true 1811s that I had laying around and they fit perfect! The grub and set screw was a much more precision fit so bravo! Question, on the brushless X frame, how are you mounting the battery and since it is basically flat , what are you using for landing legs or something to hold it up a little?

Have you thought about some small clip on legs for these frames just to lift them out of the grass a little etc? Once completed I'll post some more pictures of everything along with build notes and hopefully some video. Thanks!
Sounds like your making some good progress. Glad the set screws worked out. I didn't realize you were not originally using 1811's. For the battery I was planning on using the cutouts in the frame to sling a velcro (or similar) strap through and possibly a bit of DS foam tape to cushion the battery a bit. I honestly haven't given much thought to a landing skid. I probably won't use anything myself but will see if I can think something up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 01:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochenvar View Post
Got my efficiency frame and 8.5mm mounts yesterday (I can't believe how rigid the frame is). Everything looks great, thanks Dave.

I'll be doing my build with an X4 board (until my new stuff comes) with 0820's, and will definitely wrap the square section of the motor mounts; that's a great tip. The thing should be a beast.

Thanks again.

...perhaps you can summarize the availability of your various frames and mounts.
Excellent!
Just another pointer on the SLA motor mounts it helps to make sure the inside of the square holes are well cleaned from any of the loose material left after the printing process. I have been putting the mounts on about 1/2 way then pulling them back off and scraping out any loose material with an exacto blade. I tried getting a video this weekend but it didn't work out so hopefully my text descriptions work for now.

Unfortunately I really don't have anything readily available at the moment. I have more 3/16" material to make more 195mm+ frames but am waiting on more 1/8". Since this just started as an experiment I didn't want to get ahead of myself and didn't order any more than I needed to start. Soon, I will be getting a bunch of material and have enough on hand that availability will be relatively unlimited unless this explodes.

Most of the 3/16" stuff will be cut to order anyway unless something becomes particularly popular, but I will probably keep many of the more popular micro frames on hand.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:07 PM
proud to be orange!
Joined Jul 2013
1,510 Posts
Hey Dave,
this frame is the best thing that happened to my quad world since Chaoli.
Absolutely bullet-proof! I would be very surprised if it ever brakes. It has already seen some serious impacts, and the only thing that happens in a hard crash: motor mounts pop off.

And it reminded me of some history. About 12 years ago, a friend built a didgeridoo out of birch for me - in "sandwich" technique. That is, cutting the piece in half, carve out both halves, and glue them back together. The advantage of that technique: you can shape the inside to create specific sound characteristics.
This one is tuned to "D". I call it "the sunset-D", because its nice and mellow for night time, does not need much air, but it has still enough backpressure to play a quick tune.

Here is my sunset tribute to both of you birch sandwich masters:

The Motor Guy after work - birch quad meets birch didgeridoo (1 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:18 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,418 Posts
Looks and sounds like a good combination of birch to me
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:31 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
2,232 Posts
That was so freaking cool Benedikt ! Great video / demo and tribute and probably my new ringtone

Woods, I'm working on some legs that will be light and easy, pure simplicity. I may order another few of the frames soon as I'm brainstorming a mini-mini X/H hybrid something like a QAV 150, we will see how it goes thanks for the tips and yes, the motors were very similar to the 1811s, I fact they look almost identical in size/shape but slight enough variation in mount size that they wouldn't work. The 1811s are made for this frame but you know that
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:40 PM
proud to be orange!
Joined Jul 2013
1,510 Posts
hrhr, thanks guys
What part do you want as ringtone? Ill give you an isolated mp3
RCG Plus Member