HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2004, 11:46 PM
NewEngland
Joined Oct 2003
137 Posts
Hi Mat ,
Im Just a newbie at AP . How abought a switch that will
rapid fire when speed controller is swiched off ( Throttle off). Vibration will be at the min. with the motor off and gliding.
You could make it adjustable rapid fire depending on your camera specs. Lets say from 1- 8 seconds between shots. And with battery cut off, the smart switch would be off unless throttle
controll was at the off (down) position..

Dave
airflap is offline Find More Posts by airflap
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2004, 10:14 PM
Edgewood, NM
Joined Jan 2002
1,038 Posts
Hi,

Good idea, but it won't happen on my current run of switches (already ordered PCB's made and burned PIC's for soldering) but I might use it on a future design.

I will send you a message if I do use it later on.

Thanks,
Matt
zagisrule! is offline Find More Posts by zagisrule!
Old Apr 07, 2004, 10:40 PM
wheel chock
NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
293 Posts
How about a black box that interfaces to any camera that you can program via the serial port on you computer by uploading a text file?

You turn on the camera, connect one end of the black box to your PC, the other end to the camera.

PC software then interrogates the camera, and brings back a list of available controllable functions.

Then you plug in your receiver and assign the camera functions to different channels.

when your happy, you upload the saved text file to a rom chip in the black box.

better yet, design a PCM receiver that does all of this by itself.
with a slot that reads "Camera In"

ahhhh dreams......

Mitch.
mitchamus is offline Find More Posts by mitchamus
Old Apr 07, 2004, 10:51 PM
NewEngland
Joined Oct 2003
137 Posts
Zagi , Do you think you could help me design a switch on paper?
I have a little electronics background. I could build and test it.
The simplier the better...
airflap is offline Find More Posts by airflap
Old Apr 07, 2004, 11:07 PM
Edgewood, NM
Joined Jan 2002
1,038 Posts
Mitchamus-

Sounds great, but it is out of reach....at least for now The switch I am starting to produce now will work on any camera.

airflap-

Sure, drop me an e-mail at: switchmaster@hotmail.com

-Matt
Old Apr 08, 2004, 12:19 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,416 Posts
I've read thru the thread and didn't see what the interface is. Do I still have to hack my Nikon and break out the soldering iron?

CTF
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Apr 08, 2004, 08:56 AM
Edgewood, NM
Joined Jan 2002
1,038 Posts
Yes, unfortunately you will still need the soldering iron.

-Matt
Old Apr 08, 2004, 09:26 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
This idea is way beyond the original goal of the zagisrule switch. For one thing it is highly dependendant on the camera. Yet, I wonder how much interest there would be...maybe a future project?

Would it not be great if there was an RC camera switch that had an external data input port? Any user data on the port would be written into the image data fields when the camera is triggered. User data could be GPS, or altitude. I know you can use certain flight-data-loggers to do this, but then you have to go sorting and mixing separate files.
Radiofly is offline Find More Posts by Radiofly
Old Apr 08, 2004, 04:16 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
mmmm altitude loging...... that would be nice for the next version aswell. alot more difficult, not because of the sensor, but because of the output method.
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Locator Beacon

How about an emergency locator beacon that contains a small transmitter with a limited range that would turn on when you turn off your transmitter. You would also need a small "black box" receiver that you could quickly tape on another plane and fly over the area. When the receiver picks up the emergency signal it turns on a hi-intensity LED.

It would also be nice if the receiver could measure signal strength so, if you got closer and the signal got stronger, it would turn on a second LED. This way you could fly a search pattern with another plane and when you got close an LED would come on. If you go the wrong way, it goes out. You turn around and circle back and it comes back on. You search around until the second LED comes on, mark the spot, land, take the box in hand and do it all again on foot.

This would be a worthwhile gadget.

John
Extremeone is offline Find More Posts by Extremeone
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:27 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,167 Posts
geeez John! That's a project in itself! Interesting, but wow!

So when you turn off your transmitter for plane 1, the locator transmitter starts transmitting. What happens when you turn your transmitter back on to fly the other airplane out there? And how, I dunno. Perhaps worth refining the idea some more and taking a look at it.

The handheld is, to me, a better alternative. Less risk and easier to just stop and verify. But if you're transmitting an electronic signal, why not just make it audible to need no special equipment to go after the plane. Make a louder beep is in effect (with a trans/rec combo) what you're suggesting, yes?

Dan
danstrider is offline Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Beacon

My thought was that a buddy could strap the receiver box on his plane which would probably be on a different frequency. I know this is a project in itself but one worth pursuing. I was using a small transmitter that only sent a signal to a receiver so the battery in the downed plane would not have to drive a higher power consuming device. This would make the battery and the emergency transmitter last much longer and give you a better chance of finding the plane.

Having flown models for close to 60 years and looking for my share of them, this device is something I would certainly like to have and will probably pursue on my own. I am getting into programming the PICs and this would make a dandy project.
Regards, John
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:30 PM
Cumming, GA
Joined Dec 2002
120 Posts
Wow John:
At last, someone who has been flying and looking as long as I have!

Ken
Ken S is offline Find More Posts by Ken S
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:33 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Olden Days

Yeah, my first model was steam powered.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:34 PM
Edgewood, NM
Joined Jan 2002
1,038 Posts
This is turning into an entirely seperate project now...

As it stands now, the LMA would go off when no incoming receiver signal is detected, so it would only be pulsing when you have the tx off. If you fly another plane on the same frequency and the downed plane detects the signal, it will turn off. I will try to figure out some other ways of doing it.....there has to be something that is better!

As for the radio beacon, that can be done! The receiver is the hard part, there are already 2M radio telemetry transmitters out there to do the job that can run off of their own batteries. We could set up a PIC to send the telemetry transmitter different "status" signals. A solid tone could signal that a radio signal is being detected (everything OK), and the transmitter is being powered by the plane's battery, then a constant beep--beep--beep tone when the radio signal is lost and the transmitter is being powered by it's own batteries. The beeping tone would save energy, and the seperate battery would enable the beacon to work even if the planes pack is ejected from the aircraft in the crash (we all know that happens alot too ).

This all brings me to thinking we can have an active altitude/amp/volt/speed/temperature/rpm downlink! We can encode the info with the PIC, send it to the transmitter to be transmitted. The radio receiver on the ground (a scanner) can be wired to another PIC and an LCD display to show the user the info that the airborne (or crashed) PIC is sending it. Would that be cool or what? Now I am thinking......

We can do it guys! That would be so cool!!!

I'll be back in a minute...I am going to find the website with the transmitter I have in mind..if I recall it is around $30 or so, a SMT kit (easy to assemble 805 or 1206 parts too!)

-Matt