HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2004, 09:32 PM
www.airmidimicros.com
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Cul-de-sac Flyer Instructions & Information

This thread is for posting questions about building the Cul-de-sac Flyer created by Boomerace. I have started to build one and will probably have a lot of questions.

Below are some previous posts from another thread, and some answers to a PM about this slow flying, smaller area flyer.

Here is the link to the website for some photos, and a plan diagram.
http://www.boomerseflight.com/past/C...20Sac%20Flyer/

For you looking for something different I just posted a "How To" for building my cul de sac flyer on my website. It's an easy build if you want to try your hand at scratch building and it flies great as you can see by the flight pics. Just thought you newbies might like to try it. Fuse can be a 17" long 1/8" dowel as well as the carbon rod or a piece of straight 1/2" X 1/4" balsa and it will fly fine with the GWS IPS A motor/GB. and a 370 or 300 6 cell AAA pack as well as the 2S 340 Kokums. Email me if any more info needed. You will find it under present planes

Just make the rib patterns shown (rib is 6" long) out of stiff paper or thin plywood and trace on the sheet of balsa of the thickness shown and cut out with a #11 Xacto knife. Sketch out the wing and tail feather plan on some paper from the JPG plan file... cover with wax paper and start gluing. If you have problems or whatever with the build post a build thread in the Beginners form and I'll answer..... that way anyone else building it can see the answers. You are not alone! Sounds much harder than it is!

I am using Carbon Rod but Fiberglas rod, 1/8" dowel, A aluminum arrow shaft and even a balsa stick 1/4" X 1/2 could be used but would break easily. Plane is all balsa except for a couple small pieces of plywood for reinforcing of the wing supports but even there 2 pieces of 1/16" balsa laminated together with CA could be used by running the grain of the 2 pieces at right angles to each other. Did you download the plan I published? I'll snap a bunch more pics and post them. As to servos the lightest you can get such as GWS picos work well and so does the little GWS 4 channel RX. The wing is covered with Solite but using a glue stick Saran Wrap will work just will tear easier. First thing is to copy the picture of the rib resize it in Publisher so it's 6 inches long and cut the pattern out of stiff paper or thin plywood to trace around for cutting out the ribs. It all sounds harder than it is. For a motor a GWS A will work fine with 6 or 7 cell 370 AAA cell pack.
boomer

What prop do you use?
The 1047 will probably work better as the plane isn't that fast. All pieces in the Tail Feathers are 1/8 X 1/8 unless marked otherwise.
Have fun and let us know how it turns out!
Air Midi is offline Find More Posts by Air Midi
Last edited by Air Midi; Apr 29, 2005 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Updated links to the CDS site.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2004, 09:36 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,338 Posts
I don't really consider this a Beginner subject but one for Parkflyers. Therefore...

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:06 PM
www.airmidimicros.com
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Boomer,

I assume the spaced out lines on the elevator/stab, and on the rudder/fin diagrams are also 1/8" balsa. For example, the lines with the space of 1 1/2" between them on the stab/elevator. Is this correct?

For the 1/8" ribs on the outside end of the wing, is it ok to glue 2 pieces of 1/16" balsa ribs together?

When you start to glue the wing together is it better to start with a middle rib, or start from one end of the wing, or does it matter?

About how high can you get with this plane? Can you do loops?

Thanks.

Mike
Last edited by Air Midi; Apr 07, 2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:49 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Air Midi
Boomer,

I assume the spaced out lines on the elevator/stab, and on the rudder/fin diagrams are also 1/8" balsa. For example, the lines with the space of 1 1/2" between them on the stab/elevator. Is this correct?

For the 1/8" ribs on the outside end of the wing, is it ok to glue 2 pieces of 1/16" balsa ribs together?

When you start to glue the wind together is it better to start with a middle rib, or start from one end of the wing, or does it matter?

About how high can you get with this plane? Can you do loops?

Thanks.

Mike
Mike everything is 1/8" balsa sticks unless noted otherwise.
Mike center ribs are 1/8: too and gluing 2 pieces of 1/16" will work.
Glueing sequence doesn't matter.
Plane will speck out and it will loop forever without losing much altitude.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Mar 26, 2004, 05:54 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Mike,
One other thing the center ribs are full ribs IE: if you draw a rib with the rib pattern and then instead of cutting the underside of the rib in the curve you would draw a line across from bottom rib tip to tip and that is your cut line for a full rib. Also all ribs are installed at 90 degrees to the work table except the center ribs and they are set at an angle with the tops leaning toward the wing tips on each half using the angle template that was included with the rib pic so that when the center ribs are glue together after both halves of the wing are done you will have the correct dihedral automaticly.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:00 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
If I may add here is a pic of the full ribs on the original cul de sac flyer......I also set them at an angle to meet the fuse. stick....
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:04 PM
victim of the system
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
a bottom view ..center ribs are of the airfoil with the full ribs glued to them to slide over the fuse stick...
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:07 PM
victim of the system
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
another view....I hope boomer doesn't mind that I show these pics.!!!! Thanks Boomer ..this was a wonderful project ....Tom
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:23 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Tom,
Thanks as a pic is worth a thousand words! I wish now I had taken build pics but I didn't think there would be much interest.
I could build another but don't need two right now! Been getting a lot of favorable comments from some of the guys I fly with and I expect I will see several show up soon.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Mar 26, 2004, 09:58 PM
victim of the system
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Boomer...it was your inspiration that gave me the confidence that I could build one of these....I hope with your great designs that others will benefit as well......I just wanted to show how I used your design to work for me and to help others....scratch building can be simple with a good instructer...thanks
Old Mar 27, 2004, 09:50 AM
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Oct 2000
34 Posts
Will the wing, as shown on the plans, be strong enough to cover with ultracote lite? I don't have enough solite on hand but I have a couple of rolls of ultracote lite. Also, has anyone tried a polyheidral wing.
Rojo is offline Find More Posts by Rojo
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:00 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rojo
Will the wing, as shown on the plans, be strong enough to cover with ultracote lite? I don't have enough solite on hand but I have a couple of rolls of ultracote lite. Also, has anyone tried a polyheidral wing.
Just be sure you weight it down flat when you shrink each half. The way the wing is designed putting in poly would just weaken the wing and would acomplish nothing in flight ability. Review the in flight pics on my website. It just doesn't get any better than that!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Mar 27, 2004, 06:16 PM
www.airmidimicros.com
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
Boomer and TooTall,

Thanks for the additional information and photos. I glued the rudder/fin today, and have all the ribs cut for the wing. Next, I will glue the stab/elevator before I start the wing. More questions to follow I am sure.

Mike
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:45 AM
www.airmidimicros.com
Joined Jan 2004
381 Posts
I'm just about done with part one, I just need to glue the 2 center ribs on the left and right wing. Later when you glue the 2 sides of the wing together, would the 1/4" balsa LE and TE get in the way since the center ribs are at an angle? It seems that they might touch before the center ribs are flush.

I glued all of the other pieces together so what would be the next step?

Thanks.

Mike
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:47 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Air Midi
I'm just about done with part one, I just need to glue the 2 center ribs on the left and right wing. Later when you glue the 2 sides of the wing together, would the 1/4" balsa LE and TE get in the way since the center ribs are at an angle? It seems that they might touch before the center ribs are flush.

I glued all of the other pieces together so what would be the next step?

Thanks.

Mike
You just sand or trim them off to match the slanted rib so the glue area is all on the same slant.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com