The package

The v272 Box

Actually smaller than I expected at 20x15x8cm

Front with the v272 visible

The side with a list of the contents

Inside the box

Next to the v252 for comparison

Contents of the box

Inside you will find the v272, Tx, instruction manual and bag with a spare set of props and the usb charger

The TX

Is the middle of the road tx rather than the most basic version they offer with less buttons, I think this is so that you can use 100% rates with out the auto flip enabled.
Uses 6x aa batteries.

It is an ok tx but if you are going to use this then I highly recommend you mod the sticks to be longer as that improves the accuracy quite considerably and helps get rid of the over compensating you tend to end up doing. (See post 28 for a simple stick mod)

Left shoulder button is unused with the v272 as is the bottom right one (they activate the camera on the v222 etc)
Right shoulder button activates flip mode which makes it beep until you use the right stick which will flip it in what ever direction you push it

Rest of the buttons around the LCD are: left side 40% / 60% / 80% rates and right side 100% / LEDs on/off and the unused button, the selected rate flashes on the lcd so you know what it is.

Note the Tx always powers on at 40% rates so make sure you change that before you fly
Binding is as usual on wltoys, power on Tx then quad and throttle up then down and your done.

The battery

When low on power it gently loses power rather than just dropping, when dead the LEDs simply go off, no flashing like other wltoys quads.
The battery is loose under the canopy, no tape holding it down at all although even vigorously shaking it there is no movement so it's not really an issue.
*Note mine turned out to be a dud and others have also reported issues with theirs, tmart have sent a replacement battery so will test that when it arrives.

I've altered one of my quads and fitted a micro losi to work with my 180mah hisky batteries see post #26 for info on that

The props

Tiny and pop off very easily but plenty flexible so unlikely to break that often.
* Had to use a spare prop and found it to be a much tighter fit, tested the rest of the spares and found the same.
If you still have problems with loose props a tiny bit of CA aka superglue on the shaft of the motor with the quad upside down! and left to dry Before you put the prop back on fixes that issue.

Now onto the quad itself

Top front side

Top back side

Top of board

Underside
With useful on/off switch, make sure you switch it off before charging

Motor Holders
Quite well designed in 2 parts that lock together so they should not come off in a crash and combined with the rubbery feet should help prevent motor damage in crashes.

LEDs

Has 8 in total 4 blue up front that are always on with 2 underneath in front of the motors and then a further 2 under the canopy at the back are 4 red ones 2 on top and 2 underneath around the motors these ones can be switched off with the tx

Essential specs

Flight Time
-Stock battery ?
-Hisky 180mah 5:30

v272:
- Weight with stock battery 13.7g
-- Without battery 10.16
- Canopy weight 0.47g

Parts info
charging socket 0.24g
battery socket 0.12g

Stock battery:
- Battery weight 3.54g
- Battery plug is JST 1.25mm pitch
- Charging time 25 Minutes (computer usb port)
- Dimensions 23x16x7mm (approx)

Charger
Good news here is that fully charged voltage was 4.16v so it is not over charging (It maybe the protection circuit on the stock battery stopping overcharging so be cautious with different batteries)

1st Flight
Off to a good start as I didn't come away disappointed, for the 1st flight I used the stock tx and from experience I knew that would not be ideal but it wasn't too bad at all, as said it is definitely usable but is so much better if you increase the stick length.
40% and 60% rates are just as useless as on the other wltoys quads unless you want super precise slow indoor flying I guess.
Mine has a bit of drift but I haven't messed around to fix that yet.
I did try calibrating the gyros which is same method as on other wltoys ie. 100% rates and both sticks lower left until the LEDs flash and your done but it still had a little drift.
Flips, very good and very tight, was surprised and how well it did them and recovered from them, only needed a foot to flip so full marks on that front.
As said earlier the props are tiny and do come off very easily when disturbed in flight so plenty of spares are a must as while I think they are pretty durable I predict loosing them frequently especially if flown outdoors

2nd flight
This time outdoors at night and with my devo 7e, the LEDs certainly make it visible so no issue seeing it. Flew quite nicely much smoother with the devo tx but I only got 3 minutes flying before it decided to get confused as to whether it was in LVC (low voltage condition) or not i.e. it would lose power then magically regain it and repeat this cycle until it was actually dead, this is something that my v252 will do with the stock batteries but not higher rated ones.
Hopefully it will improve as it gets a few cycles on it but I do have a 150mah battery from a syma and some 1.25 jst plugs so I will wire that up and give it try and see how it flies with that.

EDIT adds
ok so after charging the stock battery a 3rd time the quad would die when ever full throttle was applied so wired up the 150mah battery to check and that does not cut off so looks like my stock battery is a dud

add - contacted tmart and they are sending out a replacement battery

Battery testing

Syma 150mah - Fail
Lacked punch and not very good flight times.

Nano-tech 180mah round - Unsure
Flying weight of 14.23g had an issue straight away with it being over charged for some reason and it was 4.5v before I spotted the charger light flickering so that's not good but this is not an issue you should see with stock batteries as they have built in protection, but be aware with 3rd party batteries.

One thing I will say is it certainly screams at 4.5v , 1st thing to note was that the balance was pretty much perfect even though it looked as it did, lots of power, no LVC issue and 7 minutes flight time! 2 minutes of good power at which point I hit a wall and lost a prop, gave up after a minute and put on a spare. With a new prop fitted another 2 minutes before power gradually reduced till 6 minutes in where it pretty much looses the ability to climb but is still good enough for another minute of lazy flying.
When recharged to the proper voltage flight times went down to around 4 and a half minutes, it maybe the overcharging has damaged the battery or that the overcharge gave it a good boost, I may revisit this battery later on when I buy some new ones along with the 130mah versions to test.

Nano-tech 200mah round - Fail
Flying weight of 15.18g but sank almost as soon as it had taken off, wasn't sure at this point if it was a pure weight issue as the battery being quite long and being right under 2 props it quite possibly messed up the airflow a fair bit.

Hisky 180mah - Pass
Flying weight of 15.60g and as suspected the 200mah round just interfered with the props too much as flight time here was 4'30 of continuous indoor flying before it lost the ability to climb.
There is also some decent weight to be lost for this setup as the conversion cable I'm using is quite large and weighs 0.69g on its own so I'm expecting better results when I get round to doing some weight saving mods by removing the charger socket on the quad along with replacing the battery socket with a losi. Edit-Done the weight mod, see post #26 for info.

----

Pros:
Silly cheap
Normal size Tx
Dedicated flip button
Very nice flips
Yellow one certainly stands out nicely
Surprisingly fast
Not managed to break anything yet so definitely not fragile as it's had plenty of crashes and drops
So small you can fly it anywhere, dare I say it even when visiting the Porcelain Throne

Cons:
Some props come off very easily so make sure to push them on before you fly and after any bump
Yaw rate v.slow even by wltoys standards
TX needs modding to be really usable (easy to do though)
Design flaw with one of the red LEDs prone to failing
Poor stock battery due to inadequate protection circuit

Conclusion:

Reserved until I've flown it some more but initial thoughts are positive
* Flown it some more and as an indoor flyer I'm really liking it, it's just so tiny you can fly it in even the smallest of rooms and still be able to fling it around and have some fun.
And having got some more outdoor flights on it I'm rather impressed by it, not as good as say the v252 nor would you expect it to be but does well for its size and that small size means that even a small garden has plenty of room, it's also good fun seeing what the smallest gap you can fly it through is

Tips, Tweaks and known issues

Gyro calibration
If your having issues with it drifting one thing you can try is recalibrating the gyros, you do this by putting it in 80% or 100% rates and then pull and hold both sticks full down and left until the LEDs flash then release and your done.

LED issue
The right topside red LED is prone to failure, got this issue on both of my quads, just seems to be a really badly placed resistor next to the LED and it is right in the flex zone and prone to the trace failing rather than the soldering so no quick fix for this.

Loose props
The ones it comes fitted with tend to be loose but the spares don't so fitting the spares is the 1st way to fix this.
Then there are many other different fixes to try, mine is a dab of super glue on the shaft with the quad upside down to avoid it running into the motor and then left to dry before putting the props back on, not had one fall off since doing this although they are also hard to remove when you want to do so.
You can also use wood/pva glue or just pinch the bottom of the props with some pliers and some people have put dental floss through the prop hole before installing.

Stock battery
It seems, at least on this 1st batch of quads that the stock batteries are suffering from a very high failure rate.

symptoms
-puffy battery
-quad completely losing power when given full throttle
-drifting off in all directions even after gyro calibration and new props

It would however appear that the power loss issue is down to the protection circuit rather than the cell itself as after I removed the circuit on one of my batteries that kept cutting out on full throttle it worked fine.

Only cure for this is new batteries (unless you can safely unsolder the protection circuit), the 5 pack that both tmart and banggood sell should be fine as they look to be a different brand/model of battery although we will not know for sure until ppl start to receive them.
For the stand alone batteries I have one of those on the way so will know if they are ok or not soon enough.
subpixel is offline Find More Posts by subpixel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by subpixel; May 08, 2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Dec 2013
51 Posts
Nice Review! Also how is the V272's performance compared to the Proto X? It seems that because of the large price increase the Proto X would be better but I'm not sure if Estes/Hubsan is just overcharging.
skavi is offline Find More Posts by skavi
Last edited by skavi; Mar 29, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 05:17 PM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
6,091 Posts
Nice second review .... can't wait to receive mine .... Hope next week now ...
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Mar 28, 2014, 05:19 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Nicely illustrated with the different models and size comparisons.
bebev is online now Find More Posts by bebev
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:34 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Mar 2014
95 Posts
Help

I just got my RTF but its not binding
NewMoneyPit is offline Find More Posts by NewMoneyPit
Old Mar 29, 2014, 05:29 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,635 Posts
Nice review, indeed.

Can you please provide us with the battery dimensions, please?

I don't know why, but your batt failure with the 3rd flight makes me a bit anxious about batt quality. So I'm just on the hunt for better spare batts for my two 272 in transit.

Thanks

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2014, 06:55 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,719 Posts
Nice review s
What was your flight time with the 140mah lipo?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Mar 29, 2014, 01:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Dec 2007
916 Posts
@mikefromgermany & @jesolins, have updated 1st post with details
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2014, 06:58 PM
Joined Dec 2007
916 Posts
added info on flight with a nano-tech round 180mah and I'm much happier with the v272 after trying that battery
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2014, 08:24 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,692 Posts
Quote:
One issue is that the nano tech was over charged for some reason and was 4.5v before I spotted the charger light flickering so that's not good but I'm pretty sure this is not an issue you will see with stock batteries.
I had this same issue with my JXD-385, which also came with a USB charger. The stock battery charged OK and the charger cut-off correctly, but when I put a slightly larger battery on the USB charger it got up to 4.5V and was still charging when I spotted this. Fortunately I have an old Walkera 1S charger which works correctly, but obviously you need to be very careful when using the V272 USB charger with a non-stock battery.

Regarding the props which seem to come off easily, maybe the tiniest drop of CA?

No sign of my V272 being shipped from BangGood yet - still "Processing". I will have to contact them today and find out what's happening, and maybe cancel the order if they have no chance of shipping it.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:29 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
I had this same issue with my JXD-385, which also came with a USB charger. The stock battery charged OK and the charger cut-off correctly, but when I put a slightly larger battery on the USB charger it got up to 4.5V and was still charging when I spotted this. Fortunately I have an old Walkera 1S charger which works correctly, but obviously you need to be very careful when using the V272 USB charger with a non-stock battery.

Regarding the props which seem to come off easily, maybe the tiniest drop of CA?

No sign of my V272 being shipped from BangGood yet - still "Processing". I will have to contact them today and find out what's happening, and maybe cancel the order if they have no chance of shipping it.
Do not use CA.. thread some sewing thread thru the hole. That should tighten it up a bit.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:01 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Do not use CA.. thread some sewing thread thru the hole. That should tighten it up a bit.
Not a bad idea, although I have never had any problem removing something attached with a very tiny drop of CA. I will have to wait for mine to arrive to experiment.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:53 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Good review Sub, am hoping to get my V272 next week. Now I will be sure to check the props before flying it. A good, non-permanent way to secure the props to the shafts is to use white or wood glue, just a tiny bit in the prop, have to let it dry overnight though. Jesolins also roughs up the shafts first with a fine emory board or sandpaper before using that glue.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:25 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,393 Posts
hmmmmm, guess I am going to have to buy a Devo TX to make this thing fly good, pretty crappy on the stock TX. Can you point to what we have to do to use a Devo with this? I believe all the control programming is in the TX, I guess the folks at WLToys can't clone software as well as they do hardware...I've been so unimpressed with WLToys quads that I am afraid to try their micro helis...most of my single rotor micro helis fly easier WLToys quads....how crappy can their helis be

Nice review....someone really needs to post some flying in a 10x10 room, even I can fly this thing outside where you have all the room and altitude in the world....well until you can't see this thing
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2007
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
hmmmmm, guess I am going to have to buy a Devo TX to make this thing fly good, pretty crappy on the stock TX. Can you point to what we have to do to use a Devo with this? I believe all the control programming is in the TX, I guess the folks at WLToys can't clone software as well as they do hardware...I've been so unimpressed with WLToys quads that I am afraid to try their micro helis...most of my single rotor micro helis fly easier WLToys quads....how crappy can their helis be

Nice review....someone really needs to post some flying in a 10x10 room, even I can fly this thing outside where you have all the room and altitude in the world....well until you can't see this thing
Have you modded the stock tx to make the sticks longer? it really does improve it quite a bit.

For the devo you want a nRF24L01 module, one with power amplifier built in and to solder it in as per this guide http://www.hacksmods.com/2013/05/nrf...devo7e-pinout/ and to install the deviation firmware, or you could buy one pre modded if there is anyone that sells them as such.

Also I'll try and make an indoor video tomorrow but no guarantees
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by subpixel; Apr 03, 2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling