Old Aug 06, 2001, 08:48 AM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Seduced by the Dark Side

I hope you guys can help me. In a brainless
fit of "Im at a hobby shop and therefore MUST
buy something", I picked up a ARFer. By the time I broke in the motor(sexy Saito .56), I was almost cured of my temporary insanity.
Massive quantities of slime where having their effect.
But then I flew it....
I love electric BUT the ability to press a button and in 10 seconds be ready to fly again, no batt pak swaps, no charging. Just a fuel jug and a BIG rag.
No fussing with eCalc, no experimentation
just hit the throttle and go vertical, right out of sight.
Arggg, my will is fading....
Crossup
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2001, 08:55 AM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Both glow and electric are great. Glow is great for the power to weight ratio. Electric is great because you can be flying in minutes instead of having all that setup time.

I flew glow for several years. Just got into electrics and have not taken out a glow model in weeks. I have a Kaos almost finished so I bet I will fly that a lot but if you have several packs per e-plane you can fly all day long...

Quote:
Originally posted by crossup:
I hope you guys can help me. In a brainless
fit of "Im at a hobby shop and therefore MUST
buy something", I picked up a ARFer. By the time I broke in the motor(sexy Saito .56), I was almost cured of my temporary insanity.
Massive quantities of slime where having their effect.
But then I flew it....
I love electric BUT the ability to press a button and in 10 seconds be ready to fly again, no batt pak swaps, no charging. Just a fuel jug and a BIG rag.
No fussing with eCalc, no experimentation
just hit the throttle and go vertical, right out of sight.
Arggg, my will is fading....
Crossup
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Aug 06, 2001, 09:03 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Just a fuel jug and a BIG rag
Fit an exhaust extension and you'll only need a very small rag

All my IC models have tuned pipes exiting at the tail (or exhaust extensions), and run virtually slime-free!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Aug 06, 2001, 09:09 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,010 Posts
No need to apologize. I flew R/C gas for 17 years before going all electric. I fly OPs(Other People's) gas models a number of times a year. I do enjoy the incredible power/weight ratio available and the fast turn around time for big planes. I could easily argue FOR gas....but I have flown electrics only, (my own) for 12 years because the challenges with them match what I want out of modelling better than anything else.

Have fun with what ever turns your crank, (or prop). Just remember not to look down on anyone else having fun.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Aug 06, 2001, 09:58 AM
Oscoda, Michigan / Mississippi State University
Joined May 2000
153 Posts
I honestly think an R/C modeller is missing out if he/she never tries glow, and the same for electrics. I do not think glow is as bad as what is percieved here. If you have an efficient field box setup and an exhaust extension you can avoid most of the mess and setup time. A properly tuned engine can be almost as reliable as an electric, and much more powerful.

I think that much less animosity between the two groups would exist if the electric guys tried a glow setup or two and the glow/gas crowd tried an electric or two. We do not need a big divide in this relatively small R/C hobby. I understand the glow crowd can be annoying and unsupportive, but you can't help but notice our bias against "slimers."

I fly both glow and electric. I think perhaps if we don't rub our advantages in their face they won't be so eager to rub theirs in ours. This is a small hobby and we don't need this divide between two major parts of it.

Quote:
Just remember not to look down on anyone else having fun.
Very well said.

-MarkVZ-
MarkVZ Aviation: http://www.i-star.com/users/markvz
MarkVZ is offline Find More Posts by MarkVZ
Old Aug 06, 2001, 10:07 AM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
I agree Mark, though I have not yet tried a glow model, I can see the advantages... I just don't think I can afford all the equipment for both types of planes....
Kosh is offline Find More Posts by Kosh
Old Aug 06, 2001, 11:28 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Crossup
Don't worry about it, go fly.

Yesterday, I got a torque roll out of the Four Star 40, right off take off. After the initial power burst, it could get there but not sustain the hover - hardly the best way to learn how to fly the maneuvre correctly.

I could build the same model, for a Saito 72 and spend entire flights practicing torque rolling.

Okay, maybe the entire flight less the time it takes to come around and land. You only suffer one engine cut prop-hanging low per model, on average

However, I don't like the racket at our local wet site, it's three times the drive to our e-only site and my wife likes that I don't come home smelling funny nowadays. As I am very time limited and only fly Sunday PMs, stick with what I like most makes more sense than tinkering with lots of different ideas.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 06, 2001, 01:59 PM
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Joined May 2001
32 Posts
Fly whatever you like flying. They are all great.
Theuns
Theuns is offline Find More Posts by Theuns
Old Aug 06, 2001, 02:57 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Is this anyway to help someone on the edge?
Seriously , what are the concerns for extending 4 stroke pipes?
Crossup

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Glover:
Fit an exhaust extension and you'll only need a very small rag

All my IC models have tuned pipes exiting at the tail (or exhaust extensions), and run virtually slime-free!
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Old Aug 06, 2001, 05:02 PM
The Great and Powerful Oz
Bismarck, ND USA
Joined Jun 2001
351 Posts
Wiping oil off a model at the end of the flying day is a very small price to pay for hour upon hour of great performance. Just think, the model performs as good after 10 minutes of flying as it did when you took off, perhaps even better because a lot of the fuel has burned out of the tank.
You guys really need to stop bashing glow-powered airplanes, you don't know what you're missing out on.
Woody is offline Find More Posts by Woody
Old Aug 06, 2001, 06:45 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Quote:
what are the concerns for extending 4 stroke pipes?
Generally, 4-strokes (and diesels) are very tolerant of extended exhausts. As with 2-strokes, rigid pipe is best (I normally use thin-wall aluminium tube). One problem with 4-strokes is the exhaust gas temperature ... anything connected directly to the manifold needs to be metal really (silicone tubing will burn through quite quickly) - there are some nice after-market metal 'bendy pipe' systems that work well. On sport models I extend after the standard silencer ... silicone tube (with cable ties to retain) is fine for joints here. Typically I'll run some wide-bore aluminium tube down to the u/c, near the wheel. So long as it exits outside the prop arc (that's the key) 99% of the gunk will fly clear of the model. None of my 4-strokes spray much out of the crankcase breather, but if you do have a problem with this you can run a short pipe into a 35mm film can mounted on the bulkhead to trap it.

With 2-strokes I generally use quiet pipes (tuned), all silicone tube joints are secured with cable ties so they don't leak, and I fit a card or paper gasket between the exhaust stack and manifold.

I have film-covered IC models that are up to 15 years old and still looking good ... keeping them free from exhaust spray makes a huge difference to the lifespan (provided you don't crash them of course ).
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Aug 07, 2001, 01:23 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
Part of 4 stroke mess comes from the crankcase vent which you can route into a small fuel tank, I am working on a 35mm film canister.
I fly wet and dry most days.
David
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 07, 2001, 07:33 AM
Herefordshire England
Joined Feb 2001
37 Posts
AH!

The voice of reason!
Fly what ever floats your boat, there's room for us all!

Antony.

P.S. Saito's are sexy aren't they?
Antony Redding is offline Find More Posts by Antony Redding
Old Aug 07, 2001, 08:40 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
All you guys get a BIG " ATABOY ". Nice thread, no bad talk.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Aug 07, 2001, 01:26 PM
Surrey,UK
Joined May 2001
58 Posts
I take both types to my club flying field and enjoy flying both.

P.S. rumour has it Darth Vader runs Hobby Lobby
trevsie is offline Find More Posts by trevsie