HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2004, 08:56 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Mar 2004
301 Posts
Ultimate brushless setup,RX and servos for micro heli (HB II & Zoom 400)?

As a long time lurker and first time poster, I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for all of the incredibly useful info I've read on this forum over the past few months. Without it, I'm sure I'd have already given up on micro helis.

I currently have a fixed pitch Hummingbird II with a GWS 4 Channel Pico Receiver, ICS-100, ICS-50, Etec 1200's and a Futaba GY-240 gyro.

I'd like to go brushless and am looking for the ultimate brushless combo, receiver and servos that I'll use in my Hummingbird II until I get a Zoom 400.

Brushless motor: I'm leaning toward one of the Hackers, but which one would be good in the HB II and great in the Zoom 400 when I get it? I would like to do some 3D with the Zoom 400 eventually. I'm not set on the Hacker brand, but it seems as if the other brands are all measured in comparison to the Hackers.

ESCs: What would you consider the absolute best ESCs for a micro heli?

Receiver: I'm leaning toward one of the Berg's right now as they seem like they're the best. Which one? Would the Berg work with my GWS transmitter for now until I buy a different transmitter (I plan on buying a EVO 6 at the same time as the Zoom 400). Would it work with the EVO 6?

Servos: What would you consider the ultimate micro heli servos? I'll need two for the HB II, but I realize I'll need a third(maybe faster?) servo for the zoom 400 tail when I get it, so I might as well buy them all now.

The East Coast Hobby Show is this Saturday and Sunday and I figured it might be a good time/place to pick up some heli stuff I've been wanting. I think "money is no object" sounds a little extreme, but I'd rather buy the best stuff once rather than buy a bunch of lower grade stuff over and over again. So, money is (almost ;-)) no object.

Thanks again,

John
14U2NV is offline Find More Posts by 14U2NV
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:06 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Welcome to the EZone!!!!!!

John,

Well, what you are asking is not really possible. They are totally diff helis and need diff motors. It has been talkd about before many times.

Nice choice on the Berg RX The new Bergs are auto shift selectable so it will work with any TX.

Castle Creations is the way to go for the ESC (IMHO)

The HS 56's seem to work good for Boyd in his Zoom, with a 50 in the tail. I am using the stock servo and have a 5.4 Cirrus for the TR.

Why go for just the Evo 6? Go for the 9 or 12!!
Fred Bronk is online now Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Mar 24, 2004, 08:12 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Mar 2004
301 Posts
Hi Fred,

I meant to type EVO 9, but for some reason typed 6. I'll probably pick up the EVO 9 with synth when the Zoom 400s become readily available here in the US.

Which Berg would you recommend? The Berg 5 or 6?

I'm sure it depends on final motor choice, but which Castle Creations ESCs? Probably the Phoenix-10 Micro ESC and the Pixie 20 for the tail?

About the main motor, It's primary purpose would be for use in the Zoom 400, but I guess I'd like to play with it a little in the HB II until I get the Zoom. It's not a big deal if I can't use it in the HB II, I have quite a few good brushed motors laying around that I could use for that. If it was just for the Zoom 400, what would be the no holds barred ultimate choice in brushless motors?

Thanks again,

John
Old Mar 24, 2004, 07:17 PM
jacksonville, florida
Joined Jan 2004
45 Posts
just got a hacker B20-22S for my HB and it is the perfect motor for it .smooth and powerful. With the phoenix I timed it down 15 degrees still a butt load of power and got 35 minutes of fly time with Thunder power 1320 3 cell
dugless is offline Find More Posts by dugless
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:50 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Mar 2004
301 Posts
What Phoneix are you running?