HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5 Posts
receiver / servo setup for dlg

I'm still trying to get my head around this hlg stuff. I'm looking to start getting the supplies together to start up a DLG like the supergee or something...but have some questions about the servo setup and receiver selection.

for a bird with just Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons, the hitec 555 would work fine.

when you add flaps into the equation, would a receiver like the hitec electron 6 work? are the flap servos controlled on one channel with a y-adapter or something? what would be my best option for a receiver for a full house dlg?

thanks.
hlghopeful is offline Find More Posts by hlghopeful
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2004, 04:05 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
The Electron 6 may well work, if you already own it. If not, my assessment is the Berg 5 is the best performance and the best price, $50 including crystal.

With a computer radio (even a simple one) with Flaperon mixing, the flaperon servos will connect to the aileron and flaperon outputs, and the TX will do the mixing. If your 555 is a five channel, you might be able to that and an external mixer--I'm not sure--but it would be a bit heavy for this application.

If you need to buy a TX, the Multiplex Evo Synths are awesome, but the Airtronics RD-6000 Super or RD-8000 will do the job and more for reasonable money.

Lastly, use good servos, like the JR S241.

(No need to be hopeful; DLGs are easy and much fun!)

Marc
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
Old Mar 23, 2004, 04:13 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5 Posts
yeah, i've actually got a futaba 9c, so i'm covered in that area. now with the berg 5 reciever, i'd be using 1 channel each for rudder and elevator, two channels for the ailerons, and the remaining channel split for the two flaps? does that make sense?

sorry if this seems like a silly question...just trying to get my head around this before I go spending any money.
Last edited by hlghopeful; Mar 23, 2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 04:25 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Dear hopeful,

That's almost it, but the better DLGs, at a wide range of prices, use full-span camber-changing airfoils, so there are no separate flaps. The full-span ailerons droop for thermalling (perhaps set up on a switch), and they drop way down for braking, usually on the throttle stick.

Two channels for flaperons, one each for rudder and elevator, and one left unused (for throttle, if you ever go back to powered flight).

Check out the radio setup article by Mark Drela at www.polecataero.com. Actually, read the whole XP-3 and Articles section of that site, then the topmost (sticky) post on this list, and you'll be well on your way to understanding the technology.

Also, Martin Godden uses a 9C and has a pretty cool setup for DLG. Check for his posts.

Good luck,

Marc
Old Mar 23, 2004, 04:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5 Posts
ah...that makes sense now. i was under the impression that many of these birds were using 4 servo wings, not just having their ailerons do double duty. i know my 9c could handle those mixing tasks. i think i'll just end up going that direction, as it will be one less thing to worry about as I initially learn to fly the thing. I'll then ease the flaperons in as I get more comfortable with things.

thanks a bunch.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 04:45 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
The flying workload is the same either way, but the AG airfoils just live for slightly drooped flaps for thermalling. Problem is, they need to be retracted to get a high launch. Also, you save the weight of two servos, about a 5% hit in hang time.

What you might consider is only putting the flap function of the flaperons on the stick, and not the switch for now. Several folks on the list have said its very natural, once you're used to using a lot of flap for braking, to just use a little for thermalling.

I'd stay away from the 4-servo wing. The most competitive flyers tried it and wen't back to full-span flaperons.

Marc
Old Mar 23, 2004, 04:49 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5 Posts
i see. when really slowing things down with the flaperons, do you still have aileron-type control, or are you using mostly rudder at that point?

this has all been very helpful.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 05:03 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
I hear you need a lot of rudder. (I don't yet have airbrake flaps, only camber changing, due to haven't been able to afford a better radio. I only miss the airbrakes at contests, not for sport flying.)

That's a simplification you could make for now, don't use the heavy flap settings.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5 Posts
FWIW, i'm going to order the berg rx tonight. might as well start this thing off on the right foot.

thanks for all of your help.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:14 AM
Surrey, England
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Hi Guys

Just a quick correction, I actually fly the MPX 4000 system so can't comment on the 9C set-up :-(

The rest of the converstaion sounds sensible to me as a way to get started :-)

Martin
hlgflyer is offline Find More Posts by hlgflyer
Old Mar 25, 2004, 09:12 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
hopeful,

On my XP-3 I drop the flaperons about 45-50 degrees for full flaps. This provides very good braking action. With full flaps on, the aileron response is weak, but it will respond. I have my aileron/rudder mix set up on a switch. I leave it off for flying and flip it on for landing. With the mix on, the glider turns very well, even with full flaps on.

Once you fly with flaps, I think you'll find you really like them. One case in particular where the flaps are quite useful, is landing under gusty or turbulent conditions. If you're on approach and getting bumped around a lot, you can drop the flaps and come in steeply and it will settle right down. It's amazing how well this works.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:12 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Oops!

Quote:
Originally posted by hlgflyer
Just a quick correction, I actually fly the MPX 4000 system so can't comment on the 9C set-up :-(

Martin
Sorry, Martin! I must be thinking of someone else.

(See you in the air this weekend! My friends and I have settled on 11:-2:00 Saturday Eastern US Time.)

Thermals,

Marc
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:20 AM
Surrey, England
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Hi Marc

No problem......

Unlike this weekend..... the wind looks OK but there is a lot of rain about, so I'm waiting and hoping for an decent opportunity.

Have a good one :-)

Martin
hlgflyer is offline Find More Posts by hlgflyer
Old Sep 04, 2004, 02:36 AM
Gustavo Exel
Switzerland, GE, Geneva
Joined May 2003
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctrudeau
Check out the radio setup article by Mark Drela at www.polecataero.com.
Hello,

I believe the article you mentioned is one called XP-3 Control Setup and Camber Flight Management by Mark Drela. I read though it and understood the general idea, but when I tried to implement it by programming my Airtonics RD-8000 radio I got totally confused on what to do.

Is the exact programming sequence for the RD-6000 radio mentioned in the article available online? IŽd love to take a look at it...

Tks,
Gustavo
gustabmo is offline Find More Posts by gustabmo
Old Sep 04, 2004, 10:20 AM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustabmo
Is the exact programming sequence for the RD-6000 radio mentioned in the article available online? IŽd love to take a look at it...
Repost:
markdrela is online now Find More Posts by markdrela