2,311 Posts
Discussion
Why was red jacket allowed to fire from an octo

Well

We all made prognostications a few mos ago how it would go down

Why, in the world, is the FAA not all over them

It was untethered, with a naza, with go pro wifi on

Engineering fail. Poor prep

I would expect a ten thousand dollar fine to come for them but only instantly after total loss of any imagined street cred. Rc fail. I'd waited months to see it

*disclaimer
All tv could be cg maybe nothing was real in the first place

But it sure looked real
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:41 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
What the hell are you talking about?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:40 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,851 Posts
great example of drunk posting

ok I've done that before

FYI - 'Red Jacket' is a gunsmith shop, that has a popular TV show in the US where they do crazy gun fabrication projects
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:02 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
great example of drunk posting

ok I've done that before

FYI - 'Red Jacket' is a gunsmith shop, that has a popular TV show in the US where they do crazy gun fabrication projects
Ahhhh righto. No wonder I had no idea what he was rambling!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Mar 22, 2014, 07:40 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
They had put a 9mm on the drone I thought you all saw it...not drunk lol

Clips are online if anyone missed the season opening we had been talking about it since last year whether they would really shoot

Some of the youtube clips of guns on drones (fps Russia) were cgi but this one looked real

Nobody saw the episode? Weaponization is something the FAA still has control over I'd think, even since the trappy ruling, it sure seemed crazy to air that. Their setup wasnt particularly awesome but they indeed showed exactly how to build a naza gun and I thought it would be all over the boards.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:52 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,851 Posts
more discussion

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....-Quad-with-gun....
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:01 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,247 Posts
While I have enjoyed the show for entertainment in the past they crossed the line with a cannon in a truck and then a Quad with a gun. What a bunch of jerks, did they dump all the common sense in the name of TV ratings? (probably) You would think the ATF and the FAA would be all over their a$$.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
was it beyond LOS? if not, probably not an issue...

atleast by the FAA view. no idea what firearm rules it might break.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:37 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
6 years ago Triad Aerial Systems put an auto shotgun on a quad. I got to see this in action as I lived in Brunswick, Ohio for a few years. The FAA didn't seem to care then either.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:08 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
Haven't seen it yet. Did they list the specs? The all up weight? Does the flight controller have a risk of a flyaway? Was it on a gimbal? If it did, how did it handle the recoil?

Gonna go search youtube.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
The bare minimum safety factor overlooked besides not doing it in the first place was tethering the quad. it was amazing in all r and d aspects none of their engineers thought to consider a naza fly away with a loaded semi auto weapon. and, go pro live bluetooth was enabled while they were pulling the trigger lol
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
not to bring a bigger discussion, but in some cases, Id trust a computer with a gun more than a person.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:17 PM
Joined Apr 2013
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
not to bring a bigger discussion, but in some cases, Id trust a computer with a gun more than a person.
I sure as hell wouldnt.

The whole "keep your booger hook off the trigger" goes out the window when you are hooking up a solenoid to a triggerguard.

Not only does the ATF take a dim view of it, for normal folks because it dances around NFA issues regarding full auto firearms but is okay for NFA dealers with manufacturer licenses. Basically any semiauto firearm can be made to simulate full auto with a solenoid doing the river dance against the trigger, holding down a button to make a solenoid do 300-900rpm is clasified as a remote trigger basically and you can get more than 1 shot per pull.

But the idea of a "safety" is basically garbage should you have interference, servo noise, or some other crap happen.

Fly away combined with runaway.

Gun forums, which I am obviously a member of given my screen name, refers to the show as Sons of Derp. Flem used to be a member of one of my forums I am on but he has been silent so far this season.

Coolest member we have on one of our forums is the creator of the dehogaflier. FLIR equipped plane for spotting hogs in the family farm and reading back to a set of deprivation permit hunters. Closest thing I have seen to an actual civilian "drone" given its capabilities and coordinated use with hunters.
uglygun is offline Find More Posts by uglygun
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
by configuring failsafes, it would be pretty much neutral.

not saying this is a good idea of course. its a novelty, an unnescessary and potentially dangerous novelty. Guns are not meant to be played with like a box of legos.

I didnt see the video, hopefully this was either done indoors or on a very large plot of protected land.

FWIW, take a multirotor blade at a few thousand RPM and your in really bad shape. A person died last year from a CP heli striking their head. Putting a gun onboard certainly takes it up a notch, but its potentially lethal without it too.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:26 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
Managed to download the episode, i'll watch it later but it looks like they mounted a gopro on the picatinny rail and aimed the gun down.

Interesting implementation. The recoil is still significant, i know the weight is neutral when in a hover, but it still moved quite a bit. Their implementation is interesting, as having the gun pointing straight down handles the recoil nicely. You can make it go into full auto and it would still be stable to shoot straight.

As for full auto, it's a very basic thing. Simply program the pitch curves to do a zigzag. A 9XR can do it twice in one pull, and another two when you flick it the other way, a DEVO7 can do it thrice per pull and another three on the way back.

Theoretically, you can stack the curves on a 9XR and empty the entire clip in one pull, including controlling the rate of fire.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member