SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2001, 03:12 PM
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Joined May 2001
79 Posts
Range check advice - BEC cutoff and short range!!!

Hello flying friends

A new reminder: When was the last time you did a range check at the end of the flight ?

I did today, and found out that when the BEC cuts in, and the battery has its 50 mA left or so, my range with collapsed TX antenna is down to 15 feet or so!!!

So, please, go out and do some range checks with your battery in low condition (BEC cut off) to find out what your "low range" is.

Fly safe

JJ
JensJakob is offline Find More Posts by JensJakob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2001, 03:18 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
wow!.. never thought of doing that
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Aug 07, 2001, 03:31 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
I would think it should be the same, the battery cutoff is 4.8 volts right? so it shouldnt have any effect on range unless the speed control wasnt working right or had a lower cutoff point?
I havent had any problems with range after BEC cutoff, but I might rethink it now.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2001, 03:56 PM
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Joined May 2001
79 Posts
Hi Cue

Depends on the configuration. With my 7x1700mA SCR pack and a Speed 600 on my 2Meter, I never have any problems.

But on the Wingo with 8x500AR, there is almost no juice left in the accu when the BEC cuts in, so the range is quite limited after cut-off.

Anyway, please go and do some range checks with collapsed antennaes after BEC cutoff.

JJ
JensJakob is offline Find More Posts by JensJakob