HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:07 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Alternate bodies on H-II

I've got my H-II's complete and flying... and the next thing to do is outfit them with bodies.

I do not like the stock H-II body. I'm considering the Hummingbird body as an alternative, but it looks like it won't mount easily... anyone use it or any of the other aftermarket bodies or any other bodies on an H-II? The stock Hornet body looks like it will be too small to look good.

TIA!

Greg in Minneapolis
gstew is offline Find More Posts by gstew
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:57 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,024 Posts
Check www.fxaeromodels.com
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:59 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
You could make your own!
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:08 PM
King of The Moon
NYC
Joined Jun 2003
756 Posts
Hey Greg,
Why don't you like the stock Hornet II canopy? Is it a matter of aesthetics? Personally I feel the stock canopy is really good looking, but hard to keep together and quite heavy when painted. You say it's small, I call it sleek! Have you tried it yet? I have a second one painted and double-sided taped together but it still won't hold. Havn't found the solution yet. Any ideas?
ozoneone is online now Find More Posts by ozoneone
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:25 PM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
Ozoneone,

Basically, I think it's ugly.

When I did my original Hornet canopies, I used RC car body paint and joined them with thin CA. I'd definitely use the CA instead of the tape... but you have to take care to just use a tiny amount as so not to mar the canopy.

Later!

Greg in Minneapolis
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:32 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darkside212
You could make your own!
Looks like someone has been vacuum forming fuses using the 21st Century Little Bird 1/18 scale display heli for the mold. Good Idea
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Mar 23, 2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:48 PM
แอนครู กรีน (เขียว)
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2002
270 Posts
What about the JMD Canopies ......plenty to choose from there.

Regards, Andrew
C Andrew Green is offline Find More Posts by C Andrew Green
Old Mar 23, 2004, 03:05 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,024 Posts
My Hornet II canopy has held together very well. I used thin CA with a small peice of hinge tape on both ends.

However...I hate painting and putting together caonpies!

Does anyone offer canopy building and painting service...I would rather pay to have someone else do it for me.

hb
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird
Old Mar 28, 2004, 01:24 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
I have settled on Hummingbird bodies. Looks a lot nicer than the H-II body, IMHO.

In my setup, they ended up mounting pretty easily. I'm using old FP hornet swashes with 90 degree CCPM and all the servos mounted ahead of the main shaft. I just mounted a CF rod cross-wise at the junction of the anti-rotation pin mount and rear of the main mast and poked a couple of new mounting holes in the body using a push pin. Then I use a small piece of tubing that friction-fits on the CF rod to secure the body.

On the H-I to H-II conversion with the H-I landing struts, the H-bird body fits well, even to the strut cutouts. On the pure H-II, I'll need to cut a little out of the bottom of the body to clear the H-II landing struts.

I only had one body, so my H-I to H-II conversion is still using the old H-I body and my Hummingbird is naked (but isn't getting flown much with my H-II's around). I got more ordered.

Greg in Minneapolis