HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2004, 02:26 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
tip stall cure?

Having read some complaints about tip stalling on P-51s and ME-109s, I was wondering if anyone had tried cutting the ailerons in half and gluing them back together with the outer half raised slightly to provide washout toward the tips?

Chuck
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2004, 02:38 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,779 Posts
SPEED
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Mar 22, 2004, 04:04 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wingbreaker
SPEED
So true...now to elaborate for him...keep your speed up...whenever your flying, turns, landings, takeoffs, acrobatics...
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Mar 22, 2004, 04:53 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
ChuckHHill

I fly my stock motor GWS Warbirds WOT all the time until I want to land. Only then do I reduce the throttle but I keep my turns large and gentle when at low throttle. By using this flying style I have no problems with tip stalling.

I also use Lithium batteries and 2 servos to keep the weight low. Care with glue and paint helps as well.

Light weight and keeping the speed up by using a lot of power can reduce the chance of tip stalling but it can never be "cured"

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Mar 22, 2004, 05:48 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Try reflexing the ailerons up slightly (a mm or 2)and then re trim the elevator that should help.
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:05 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
KENSP-Check Priv Message Please...

Thanks,

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:26 PM
Loundon, Va. USA
Joined Feb 2001
182 Posts
Adjusting the ailerons up a couple mm as Woodsy works very well and saves having to cut them. Elevator should seem very slightly down at neutral and should only have about 5 - 6mm of throw. Seems like too little but this bird is very pitch sensitive.
And as others have said, speed is the key, keep power on during landings. If you are running a 300C in it, upgrade to the 350C it will save you lots of frustration. Speed comes from power.. with the 300 my felt like it was gonna fall out of the sky at any time. Swapping that out for the 350 made it an entirely different plane.

Good luck,
David
nalondivad is offline Find More Posts by nalondivad
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:26 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Being Near my Maiden on my Mustang i know where you are coming from. I will have at lest at 16 1/2 oz stang with the 350c. I just took my first flight with the superstar ep today and it was great and uneventful. Ps Does anyone else have the problem with the left elevator going up a little less than the one with the horn on it???????
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:18 AM
Joined Jul 2003
68 Posts
tip stall cure

I tried to cut the ailerons, see thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=130434

It works great and with Lipo battery Im roughly 5 mm behind recommended cg location. Still its possible to make extremely smooth landings without any tip stall tendencys.
I have even managed to land the retract equipped P51-model on grass without ending up with the model nosing over.
kristianb is offline Find More Posts by kristianb
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:27 PM
Loundon, Va. USA
Joined Feb 2001
182 Posts
Yes P-51 flyby I've seen the elevator thing with a couple of my GWS planes, Mustang, Zero, Corsair, but as long as it is very slight I don'thing it makes much of a difference. The mustang is very pitch sensitive and the total throw of the elevator should only be about 5 - 6mm.
Another thing I have noticed in my GWS models is a very slight twist of the fuse making the rudder slightly off center.. no big deal though and does not seem to affect flight.
nalondivad is offline Find More Posts by nalondivad
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:54 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Thanks i didn't mean to hijack the thread but hey while we where talking about stang issues. I started a thread and forgot to mention how much will it affect flight. I think i just noticed the fuse issue too.
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Mar 24, 2004, 04:49 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
keep it light the lighter, the better... at 14oz, it almost refuses to spin, unless you dial in too much elevator throw (more than 6mm)
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Mar 24, 2004, 06:03 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Kristianb,

Thanks for your responce. I had not tried it, but thought it would work--similar solution on an Ace High II glider I learned on.

The newer fighters are apparently molded with washout, but apparently the older designs did not incorporate this, and cutting the ailerons looked like a way to washout the tips.

Thanks,

Chuck
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Mar 24, 2004, 09:31 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,575 Posts
Here's one I was going to try with mine.
Using brown paper & 50/50 PVA glue/water.
paint on the 50/50 to the outer half of the aileron on the top surface & lay a piece of brown wrapping paper onto it.
Paint over the paper again with the 50/50 and leave to dry.
This form of covering as it dries has a tendency to shrink, thus inducing a warp into the aileron.
Theoretically, it should bend the tip end upwards.
I did this on my Spit to "harden up" the aileron but did both top & bottom (thus not inducing warping). The finish is like wood.
My next GWS warbird, I'll use this system on the whole plane but use lighter paper as the finish is fantastic! Very hard, takes only a single light coat of paint, the GWS decals stick like **** to a blanket and it Ding-Proofs the foam.
Smokin' Beaver is online now Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Mar 24, 2004, 09:34 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I sanded the washout into the ailerons, and reshaped the tip area by sanding some off the top of the wing, then sanded the extreme tip to conform to the aileron. My chum has done this mod on his, and the tip-stalling stopped immediately. You could go farther and sand the root area down at the rear on top and up on the lower surface. I have done this on my (yet unflown) P51, and I expect no surprises...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle