SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:39 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,294 Posts
Discussion
.60 size F8F Bearcat plans?

I'm looking for a .91 four stroke size Bearcat plan. It looks like Royal kit plans and templates can be had. Has anyone built from them successfully? MAN has a plan but no information.

The intent is to build with retracts and flaps. A proper scale outline, but little detail.

Is there any other plan set out there?

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:37 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
There's the old Top Flite red box kit, and IIRC Ziroli did one that was smaller than both, when he was doing that slew of WW2 stuff in the early 70's. Check Carstens or even the AMA plans service.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:59 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
120 Posts
Greg,
I have a Royal/Marutaka Bearcat kit which I am thinking about selling.
PM me if you want more info.

GeneH
Alpha35 is online now Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:20 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
OOOH!

Alpha35, I have the R/M Staggerwing, Zero and FW-190 kits stored away for retirement builds. After the disaster working with the T/T Rare Bear ARF, (what a joke) if you weren't so far away I would sorely be tempted to add that one to the fleet.

gkamysz, here is a download page for the Royal Bearcat:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/download_...an.asp?ID=4959

This is the 62" span version, but I would think you could blow them up whatever scale you want. Only change I would recommend would apply to many of these generation, (and one I have done many times). Dump the bellcranks shown on the plans and install servos for each aileron and flap. If limited in chord thickness I found the Hitec HS-125MG servo a beautiful option. At 6V the 49 oz/in should be more than adequate for a single flight surface.

NOTE: When it comes to a long-term, high-load situation, such as that encountered when flaps are deployed, you want to avoid stressing a servo in this manner. The current requirement can be quite high, especially if using digitals. I usually set up the linkage to reduce the loading on the servo as they extend.

Here are a couple of pics of the split-flaps on my Harvard. Since a single servo drove all 3 flap panels, (and yes, it was a bitch rigging them to work at different angles) when retracted the servo arm is at 90 degrees to the linkage. At half-flap the arm is at 45 degrees and when fully extended the arm is in direct line with the linkage. At that point there is NO load on the servo at all and in this case allowed the use of a standard, analog unit.

Ignore the bit of off-center linkage. At the time these were taken I was still programming end points and the swivel on the flap post was binding a bit. Changed it to one I fabbed from industrial plastic.

Those old and cranky mechanical retracts are also long gone. Using E-flite 60-120's on my larger scale machines.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Last edited by Cougar429; Mar 20, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:55 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,294 Posts
Yeah, that's the download I saw. It's the right size for what I want. I wasn't able to find a scratch build thread or blog from the Royal plans so I wondered if anyone had done it. I intend to make a foam wing and use 4 smaller servos. The HS-125 are nice, but I don't think they need to be that thin. I'll probably use HS-85MG.

I saw that AMA has the Royal Bearcat plans for 27USD.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Mar 20, 2014, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
120 Posts
Cougar,

Don't let distance stand in your way. The Marutaka Bearcat is yours for $150 plus shipping,
which I calculate to be $25 for the US. Don't know about CA yet, That's cheaper than
a short kit, canopy and cowl ring, should such exist. Having acquired the larger 1/5.5 Bates short kit, I would like to move the Royal/Marutaka.

GeneH
Alpha35 is online now Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:52 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
Alpha35, coming up on the annual Toledo pilgrimage in a couple of weeks. Likely to blow my entire wad there again.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429