HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Yunyi-Flight Seraphi A

Did Yunyi-Flight release yet another Phantom type clone? The answer is NO... Not at all.

Splash

The Seraphi may have a familiar look, but it feels completely different in the air

Yunyi-Flight Seraphi A  - Front with landing gear attached.
Yunyi-Flight Seraphi A - Front with landing gear attached.
Yunyi-Flight Seraphi P
Aircraft Weight:860g
Max Weight:1360g
Max Rising Speed:8m/s
Max Flying Speed:15m/s
Max Angle:30 deg
Flight Time:13 min (1 batt) 28 min (2 batts)
Motors:935 kv
Propeller Size:9"
More info:Yunyi-Flight

A while back I did a news article on the Yunyi-Flight Seraphi. A representative from Yunyi-Flight contacted me and asked if I would like to try a Seraphi. I’m always up for something new so I said sure. I have to be honest, I wasn’t expecting anything amazing. I was assuming that the Seraphi was just another RTF quad in a white plastic shell. But then i thought about it and decided that compared to my large AV rigs, a nice no-stress quad to fly would be a nice change of pace.

The Yunyi-Flight line of multirotors includes 3 versions of the Seraphi A, H and P. A = Acro H = High Definition (includes a hard mounted HD cam) P = Aerial Photography model

I was sent the Seraphi P with the flight control set up for smoother control and only an Atti and GPS mode. Unfortunately, the production gimbal was not ready yet, so I did not receive one with my package.

Out of the Box

Assembled

The Seraphi showed up a week or so later and it was pretty much as I imagined it. A sturdy little quad with an acceptable transmitter that would probably make a great first quad or a keep in the car to fly during lunch rig. The week the Seraphi showed up, the weather here in Ohio had turned to awful, so I popped the rig on my shelf and just waited. It had been a really busy Jan and Feb for me so the quad sat there, until last week when I finally had some time and the weather broke long enough for me to get outside and and get a little test flying in.

Assembly took about three minutes. You simply screw on the landing legs (which I slightly bent out to give the rig a slightly meaner look) and attach the propellers. That is it. The rig is assembled.

The Seraphi Radio

The included radio is a FlySky 6 channel radio. It’s very adequate for the job and actually feels pretty good in the hands. The gimbals are not smoothest I have ever flown, but again they work fine. The radio comes pre-set up and you simply turn it on to fly your Seraphi.

Tip

Add some Expo! The radio is very easy to program, so I went into the setup screen and found the duel rate menu and added 30% expo to the Ail, Ele and RUD channels. This slowed down my inputs just a tad and helped me smooth out the flight.

Flying the Seraphi

I followed the quick start guide included in the Seraphi box. But I was unable to calibrate the compass, as I have a fairly old PC laptop that for some reason would not run the compass calibration software. I sent an email to Barry the Yunyi-Flight rep, and he said that the compass is calibrated before being sent and it should work fine. I took his work for it and just did the horizontal calibration and was all set to launch the Seraphi into the sky.

I placed the rig on the ground, pushed the sticks to the far bottom corners to unlock the motors and spooled up the props, hit around 51% throttle and the Seraphi popped into the air. At about six feet I let the rig hover and checked how stable the craft was. It was rock solid in Atti mode. (The P model that I had only has Atti and GPS) At this point I clicked on the GPS mode and the Seraphi just sat where i left it. I clicked back to Atti mode and started to fly some figure 8’s. Instantly I knew the Seraphi had a completely different kind of flight control. It does not fly like a conventional quad. It’s very stable and yet very responsive. Very smooth and yet can be tossed around. If I could describe how it flies, I’d say take a 40% RC airplane and cross it with a super stable quad.

Adding inputs to the radio yields instant response. But it’s almost like the Seraphi knows what you would like to do and only allows enough input to accomplish the maneuver. And I do not mean that the response is sluggish, it’s just “right”. I have flown over ten different flight controllers and have never flown something that felt like this. I can honestly say the team at Yunyi-Flight are on to a whole new flight algorithm that no other flight control system uses. You can cross up the sticks on the Seraphi and it will perform a wobbling, twisting turn and then allow you to fly out of this in perfect control. many other flight controls would flip over with this input. I am really having a hard time putting into words how the Seraphi feels during flight. But confidence inspiring is a good start. After two flights I was trying things that I would never attempt with most of my other rigs. It’s really that good.

Seraphi P “Hucking in 20+ MPH winds” (I know the video says “A” instead of “P" I thought "Aerial Photography” my bad.

Yunyi-Flight - Seraphi A - sleepyc Test Flight for RCgroups.com (4 min 7 sec)

Long unedited night flight.

Seraphi A night flight (9 min 2 sec)

Conclusion

If you are looking for a different flight experience than what has been available the Yunyi-Flight Seraphi may be for you. The rig is very durable, powerful and can easily carry a GoPro gimbal and cam. The flexibility of the flight control can yield smooth flight or as you can see in the video get a little wild as well. Overall a very nice rig!

For more information check out: Yunyi-Flight

Last edited by Sleepyc; Mar 12, 2014 at 03:42 PM..

Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:38 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
1,923 Posts
Interesting, the previous thread indicated a lot of no information, good to see it exists and flies and handles well! Looking forward to more reviews!
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:32 AM
Switzerland, AG, Oberwil-Lieli
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
Yunyi-Flight Seraphi

Hi
I received mine about 8 weeks ago but due to weather I just went to fly it last weekend (actually did a first fly in January but didn't do calibration before - that was a bad idea - read "Most important". It's my first quadcopter so I would describe me as a beginner. I basically can agree with tthat it is a good starter for first time quad copter users. I am waiting now for some parts to mount the Gimbal so I can test the FPV abilities because I want to do some air videos for architects.
Most important - don't forget to do the calibration on the ground before you fly and - if possible the PC calibration. The program comes unfortunately with some chinese language parts, however it is not too difficult to guess how the calibration is done. Anyway I told Barry to think about reviewing the software as it should be all in english at least. Contact with Barry was good, he replied within 24hrs and so far I am very happy with the product. Will post my Gopro flights as soon as possible after getting the missing parts.
Here a short video of flight.
Seraphi Quad (0 min 47 sec)
umerz is offline Find More Posts by umerz
Last edited by umerz; Mar 17, 2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: update
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:21 AM
MultiRotard
United States, OH, Aurora
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Yes.. the Horizontal calibration is a MUST. The rig will not fly properly without it. but it’s easy to do and takes 5 seconds!

And I too saw the Chinese Compass software issue, but I could not get the program to even run on my PC. It’s an older Dell latitude laptop that I only have to run Multirotor software as i am a MAC guy... so the compass calibration program woudl boot, but then just freeze..
Sleepyc is online now Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:34 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,811 Posts
Nice review, Stephen! I would have pegged this as just another Phantom clone at first glance, but clearly it is not.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:54 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Is there a place in the states where you can order it from. Also what is the pricing on these Quads.I did not see it on yunyi-flight,but I may have missed it.

Thanks.
charlie conley is offline Find More Posts by charlie conley
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:08 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie conley View Post
Is there a place in the states where you can order it from. Also what is the pricing on these Quads.I did not see it on yunyi-flight,but I may have missed it.

Thanks.

+1
Looked everywhere for pricing, I thought it was on their site when they first advertised on RCG, they still have the RCG link on the bottom of their site..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:29 AM
MultiRotard
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
I will send them (YF) an email as soon as I get an answer I’ll post it!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:00 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,682 Posts
great review!
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
I didn't see mention of the fundage required.
senor paco is offline Find More Posts by senor paco
Old Mar 16, 2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2013
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor paco View Post
I didn't see mention of the fundage required.
^
^ ^
^ ^ ^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

Look 2 posts above yours...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:13 AM
MultiRotard
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Ok guys I have the info.
Right now Yunyi-Flight does not have a US distributor.
You can buy direct from them, check out the info:

Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:41 AM
United States, MD, Boonsboro
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Great review Sleepy! You always do a great job. Keep up the great work.
kmac1369 is offline Find More Posts by kmac1369
Old Apr 07, 2014, 10:38 AM
Switzerland, AG, Oberwil-Lieli
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
Just received the english version of compass calibration software - post me if you need it!

here you can download it for some days:
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads...0210511/d5ebc5
umerz is offline Find More Posts by umerz
Last edited by umerz; Apr 10, 2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 16, 2014, 09:13 AM
HYI
Joined May 2014
1 Posts
This is a valuable review! Well done!
Yunyi now has a distributor in North America... These suites can be purchased with free shipping at www.hyinnovations.com beginning June 2014!!!
HYI is offline Find More Posts by HYI