HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2014, 04:22 PM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
337 Posts
where is Keystone? Im up for a meet up! that would be a blast. I only have one sub ready to go, but Ill have at least three sailboats up and flying by that time.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:53 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin055 View Post
where is Keystone? Im up for a meet up! that would be a blast. I only have one sub ready to go, but Ill have at least three sailboats up and flying by that time.
http://www.subcommittee.com/phpBB3/v...p?f=22&t=11960
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:41 AM
Joined Jan 2013
337 Posts
LoL ya, that isnt going to happen for me. LoL Sorry. Im a small business owner. And Im trying to figure out a way to go see my 95 year old grandfather who's just 9 hours away in Oregon. Time off is a precious commodity for me. Yes imagine Gollum, "my precious, precious time off. Nasty Hobitises with their submarines!" Ya its like that.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 01:09 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
"Im trying to figure out a way to go see my 95 year old grandfather who's just 9 hours away in Oregon."
--------------------------------------
95 you say.
I think family is important. When my dad got sick, I closed my small business for 31 days to be with him. I have no employees so if I wasn't assembling products, none where being delivered. Took me 7 months to recover from 31 days closed.

Was it worth it. YES.
It was the last time I was with my dad. He didn't survive.
----
You have to decide what is more important to you.

Not criticizing. Just saying what I decided to do.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:30 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
Quote:
LoL ya, that isnt going to happen for me. LoL Sorry. Im a small business owner. And Im trying to figure out a way to go see my 95 year old grandfather who's just 9 hours away in Oregon. Time off is a precious commodity for me. Yes imagine Gollum, "my precious, precious time off. Nasty Hobitises with their submarines!" Ya its like that.
more than one way to skin a cat. when i visit model submarine friends in SanFran/MI i would be driving right through your neighborhood.

last years fun run:
http://www.subcommittee.com/phpBB3/v...p?f=16&t=11603

as to a choice between dad or toys, no question, family always first.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
337 Posts
Interesting find of the day. 32nd parallel Type XXIII. And a bunch of spare parts and what not.

I'm looking for any information you guys may have on this sub that we found in the back room at my friends shop. I think its a surface only boat. But Maybe you guys can tell me more. As a bonus, there is even the manual for this sub. I didn't read through it, but ya know, I thought Id ask the experts.

And perhaps a guesstimated value?

Thanks as always for looking.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:27 AM
Joined Jan 2013
337 Posts
And in regards to family first, well yes, thats a no brainer, LoL.

My problem is that I have a small CB repair shop and Im the only employee. No workee = no money. And I have 4 kids so that usually = no large savings. 31 days of not being open would bury me. I took two days off last week and felt that like no body business.

But ya, a few days off to go see my grandpa is in order. Then If I can only make it to the other side of Oregon to see my mom, that would be even better. LoL one step at a time though.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:52 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
They were built as divers. The WTC is known to be a little on the flimsy side, some modellers have retrofitted them with cylinders, but the original unit will work okay provided you don't expect to go too deep. I would limit operations to about 3-4 feet, any more and you might be going for a swim.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
337 Posts
How could it dive if over 3/4 of the sub was an air pocket?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
Quote:
How could it dive if over 3/4 of the sub was an air pocket?
Answer: lead weight for ballast.

Our German r/c sub friends mostly build their subs as 'dry hull' boats, meaning that the entire hull is dry space. And they can weigh quite a bit when the lead is added to properly ballast the boat.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:35 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
The 7-blade scimitar prop is most likely for that 1/72nd scale Skipjack hull you showed us earlier. (the black teardrop hull)

Did you ever find the missing sail?

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
337 Posts
not yet. When we do were going to put it up for sale.

Infact the Gato is available now.

It looks like Im building the Albacore. Some of the detailing and history on that sub is just making me Dizzy. I cant wait to sail this unique piece of history.

Everything else will probably go. Im considering the Type XXIII but honestly, it will probably go to a good home. Im not in that sort of financial position to make good on these and I know there are others out there that will do good by these hulls. One is enough for me I think. Otherwise my tendancy to let stuff sit forever will show itself. LoL !!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:14 AM
Owner of SSY
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2005
561 Posts
Hi:
The black sub is probably one of my 1:72 scale USS Permit hulls or it could be a 1:72 scale USS Jack, they are very similar, the most notable difference is the diameter of the stern.
This boat comes with the sail as well as dive plane and rudder set, plans and a pair of index strips.
I am a bit surprised that Matt claimed that he had no idea who could of made this boat as he knows my subs.
Replacement parts are available for this boat if you can't find the missing items.
W.L Upshaw is offline Find More Posts by W.L Upshaw
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2013
337 Posts
Awesome ! thanks for the heads up on that one. Were looking around and searching for all of the former owners parts, plans and so forth. I will keep you in mind and get ahold of you for everything we need.

Probably though, this boat will be going down the road. We will be offering it for sale as soon as we find the parts of exhaust all possible locations for said parts.

thank you again for the information.

UPDATE !!!! UPDATE !!!! UPDATE !!!!

its official and Im very excited to announce that I will undoubtedly be building the USS Albacore. now I admit that I really wanted to build a fleet boat. BUT be that as it may, Ive had some very kind prodding and assistance, AND an eye opener as to what a cool sub the Albacore is. Not only Unique but also very instrumental in US Submarine history and development. I cant gush enough about how excited I am to take on this project.

However, I have to still locate some parts for the sub kit, like the original nose cone. I have everything else thanks to a good friend who had the parts laying around. Ive got prop, sail with dorsal rudder, dive planes and regular rudders.. man and a bucket load of detail parts. Man this thing is going to be AMAZZZZZZING !! I really cant wait to get started. I think Im going over to my buddys shop today to abscond with the hull parts he has. But Im going to try to wait until he digs out the nose cone and such.

Wish me luck !!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:16 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
Let me know if you need any parts for the Albacore. I have all of the molds and patterns.
ThorDesign is offline Find More Posts by ThorDesign