double tap post
see below
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:26 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
368 Posts
Trying to distinguish between the Gato and Balao boats can be hard. The two boats where basically the same except the thickness of the hull material to get greater depth.

Both of these class boats had many many different sail configurations.

Here is a site that may help but not a guarantee.

Visual Guide to Gato Class submarines

Balao Class
Old Apr 03, 2014, 03:58 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
....that fleetboat sail could be used for either a Gato or a Balao.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:00 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Looking at the hull, it probably is a Gato class, but as Jeff pointed out, you can convert it or use it for a Balao and that sail will work for either one. Ralph is correct that with some modifications it will be a beautiful Balao because the hulls were mostly similar. Things like flood holes and anchor position will need to be modified or added, but you have the skills. I will say that going this route, is not the wide path. It is the narrow path. Meaning there is a complexity in the Gato/Balao that you do not get in other subs. There are far easier subs to build. My first RC sub was a Gato and I fought my way to completion , so you can do it too. Just want you to be forewarned. Whatever you choose, I am (and others are too, I just can't speak for them) here to help you.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Apr 03, 2014, 09:42 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
368 Posts
Look your hull over. Compare it to the various boats you can choose from. Check for front anchor placement. Some boat were on the right side and some were on the left. Some where back a bit from the semi standard location.

Decide how much modifying you want to do or how little.

Or just pick a boat from it's historical events and go for it.

Once you have the name and number of the boat you want to build, I/we can help with research on items you may need.

You can even modify it to a GUPPY class if you have a mind to.
Old Apr 07, 2014, 10:22 AM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
335 Posts
Thanks guys.

I was going to make it the USS Pampanito. Thats the sub tethered in San Francisco bay by the pier. I went aboard it back when my wife and I got married some 15 almost 16 years ago. And then again this last weekend. So its the only Submarine i have any kind of physical attachment to. Or that I can relate to in the real world ya know.

HOWEVER, the hull is a scale ship yards hull. No decking, no fittings of any kind. I have been told by a very knowlagable individual that this would be a fools errand on my part. To much to take on so early in my sub building carreer.

I am inclined to heed his advice at this point. And if i do, then I will probably build the Albacore. But thats all kinda far off right now. Flying and sailing season is uppon me.

So I will be selling two of the hulls for my friend. Hes going to keep diggin in the back room and see what he has for these subs. Then we can post up and let them go to some good homes.

dont get me wrong. I really want to do the Gato. But I dont want to get half way through and have life kill me either. I want to set a goal that I know 200% that I will complete. Otherwise, its just not worth it.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
Old Apr 07, 2014, 01:38 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
Sounds like a Revell Gato would be a perfect place for you to start given your interest in fleetboats. This normally static model has been made into a radio-control model but a number of folks.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Old Apr 07, 2014, 09:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Jeff, in my opinion, is right,. The Revell kit is a great kit to build into an R/C sub. If you are going to build a 1/72 version, the Revell version is the way to go!
Old Apr 08, 2014, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
335 Posts
Well, a mentor sub builder of mine, has indicated that I should steer clear of the Gato for the time being. And that I need to cut my teeth on the Albacore.

So that will probably be the way I go for now.

And the Finance Department has all the makings of the War Department. So I need to be diplomatic on cost expenditures for the fleet at this time. I did just get a new bike in January and that comes with payments for 2 years. Soooooo as far as she's concerned, "you've already got a nice submarine" So I will have to piece it together from slush funds and what not. From the United principalities of Cecil, this will not be a committee funded vessel but rather a CIA black ops sorta thing that is not recognized by the organized, elected and answerable powers that be.

So if I can buld the Albacore at work, vs building a Gato on the kitchen table. . . . well you know what I mean.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
I am not a big fan of doing things covert from my wife, I find it builds distrust, but I agree the Albacore will be a great first sub. Take your time, you have a running sub to continue to learn on, so a few dollars every so often thrown into the coffee can and buried in the backyard will eventually get you the parts you need. I hope someday to swing up there and cross paths. Maybe even bring a sub or two along to run.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 11:06 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchalfant View Post
I hope someday to swing up there and cross paths. Maybe even bring a sub or two along to run.

maybe the three of us can join up in july..... at keystone
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:03 PM
Joined Mar 2005
245 Posts
"Oh and I had the co-designer of the Albacore contact me."

I'm curious.....who is this? I honestly don't remember anyone else involved with Albacore's design.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay is offline Find More Posts by Skip Asay
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
335 Posts
oh dont worry about the covert from the wife part. What I meant was, its easier to slide by if its not in her face. Not that I would take money from our budget without her knowing or lie to her. Nope, 15 years down and the rest of our lives is worth more to me than a model sub.

What I meant was building the sub at work is better than taking up the whole kitchen table with a 5ft long sub. So getting permission to build a 3ft model at work out of sight out of mind, with slush funds, is easier than getting permission to build a 5ft model on the kitchen table for a month and a half at $$ unknown ammounts.

LoL its a complicated dynamic. But an honest one.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
I like you more and more!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
maybe the three of us can join up in july..... at keystone
That would be SO cool!
I get more and more excited about it as we draw closer.
Skip, have you been to Keystone? Want to?