HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:09 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
You do indeed have an problem.....

Remember nukes are easier and spend most of their operational time submerges.

WWII boats ran mostly on the surface and submerged only when deemed necessary.

When you run your boats, the WWII boats are seen by the other people watching. Lots of questions will come your way.

Nukes are usually interesting to those of use that rode them. Other than that, they are kind of boring to watch running. If you do not put the ID info on the hull, no one will really know which boat it suppose to be. Just another nuke.
--------------------
We all face this decision. Sorry to say, it's yours to make this time.
--------------------
I currently have a Skipjack I'm putting together. At the same time, I am using the Skipjack to arrange all the systems to fit in another nuke. A scratch build Gotland. I also have collected all the parts to scratch build a third boat. USS Cuttlefish, B-2, 1903.

So your problem of choosing is not limited to just you. The B-2 boat drawings have been on my wall for more than 22 years. The Gotland has been there 3 years. I figure it's time to build them or give up. I ain't giving up.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:16 PM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
370 Posts
when you say it like that it makes it kinda clear. Gato.

I wish the gato wasnt twin screws. Then I could be a cheap SOB and put the guts from my Sturgeon in there. But then that probably wouldnt work either. Hmm.

Oh well, time will tell what happens here.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
There are a few Gato build here and other forums. They go in to great detail on how they did what they did. Including how they solved the twin motors.

A couple or three years back everyone was waiting for the Revell 1/72 Gato.
As soon as it hit the streets there where people building to be the first in the water. Some where highly detailed with working bow planes that retracted as well and controlled depth.

Get your current boat running and get some time in the water. Once you can rely on it, it will be there when you run in to issue with your second build and need to step away for clear thoughts on how to move on.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:06 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
277 Posts
That black thing is NOT my hull. It is polyester with black gel coat. I never use that stuff...I have no idea whose work that is.
ThorDesign is offline Find More Posts by ThorDesign
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:07 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
277 Posts
You can split the single shaft out of your current WTC up with a gear drive. I can make you up one that will work. I am doing the exact same thing for one of my upcoming kits. It works really well and you don't need a twin shaft WTC.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
370 Posts
I like that idea. Now I have two things to talk to you about.

Ill have to take my WTC over to the hobby shop and see if it will fit in that gato.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:41 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
Unlikely you will get a scale waterline with that WTC, as the ballast tank is quite small.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
370 Posts
Your probably correct in that. Hmm.

But still if I get a nuke, I should be able to swap it to that hull. And if I get the Gato also. . . . then that will be a ground up parts hunt and build. I could build a snort and gas system for it then. And that would be super cool !!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
I have tried making one cylinder work in more than one boat.

Changing it out becomes a headache. Final trim is always needed after the change out.
---------------------
Now if the cylinder you have is too small, then consider if you can add a low pressure blower that will draw air in as soon as the top of the sail.conning tower breaks the surface. A small pump that will pump water and air. You start it while coming up and as soon as the boat breeches the surface it starts drawing air and putting in the secondary ballast tank.

This works well but requires room for the secondary ballast tank in which the low pressure blower pump is installed.

This works well if you plan this out a head of time and build the small system first then add the secondary system. Going from big to small, not so much.

Bonus. If you build a second cylinder for the second boat, you can run both boats with a friend.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:11 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
444 Posts
or with your son! :-)
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
370 Posts
Very true guys.

Quick question. The little German sub. Can that be made to static dive as well? is it a big pain to work with because its so small?

Oh and I had the co-designer of the Albacore contact me. He says he has all kinds of parts for that one.

And I've had a friend contact me and say he wants the Albacore.

And Im leaning towards the Gato.

Decisions, decisions.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:32 PM
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
Here's a video of a Revell 1/72 scale VII that is being built.

Video

Here's Steven Neill's VII Revell running. Video

Answer to your question...YES !
Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:15 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
277 Posts
I own all the patterns and parts for the Albacore and Marlin, so parts is not a problem.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:13 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
From what I can see of it, the black hull is almost certainly a Scale Shipyard 1/72nd scale USS Skipjack hull.

Do you have a photo of the sail? That'll help confirm it.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline Find More Posts by JWLaRue
Old Apr 02, 2014, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
370 Posts
We havent found the sail for the nukes.

But here is the pictures of the Sail for the Gato. I think. I was kind a hoping it was a Balao class. But Im pretty sure its Gato.