SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:18 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Is 3D flying as hard as it gets ?

Hi guys, just curious.

In my limited knowledge of RC flight, I'm curious to know if 3D flying is one of the hardest things to master. (excluding helicopters)

I'm learning now..and it's harder than anything else I've tried. (which isn't saying that much )

your thoughts ?

Ozzieflyer
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:41 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
I think pattern is much more difficult. 3D is more of a throw your plane any which way and it will be cool. Pattern, Is persice flying and Takes GREAT skill. Very hard to do IMO.

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:00 AM
Fly like an... airplane?
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
yes, i agree that pattern is much harder than 3D. Also, I believe high level glider competition is also harder.
mike98624 is offline Find More Posts by mike98624
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:04 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
I fly pattern, scale, and 3D.

Im much more a 3D pilot though. I fly pattern from time to time. I got quite a bit of presition from flying my GWS Formosa, it taught me alot. It's not hard to fly preciley, it just takes time, practace, and the right ship. Pattern planes are a bit harder to fly cause there faster, and some will tipstall or snap if your not carefull.

As for "scale", i fly GWS warbirds, and from time to time, but the odd scale foamie, not sure f that counts though. It's not to hard, but to amke it look utterly realistic is realy hard!

3D is tough. Just slamming the sticks about is easy, but to get the manovers right (even though they are fast/snappy) will take some time. The nice thing is 3D ships are realy easy to fly! Where is pattern ships are a bit harder. It's almost hard to crash 3D ships, so learning the ropes is pretty fast, even faster if you fly Fanfold 3D ships, they are cheap, and take a real beating.

I wen't from loops,rolls, snaprolls and stall turns to a 3D pilot in a matter of months. 3D fanfold ships fly awsome, and if i crash, it's no big deal, it's easy enough to fix, or if it's bad, just make a new one!

3D foamies taught me to:
Hover
Knife edge
Outside loop
Rolling circle
Waterfall
harries
ect...

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Mar 20, 2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 02:15 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Having come from a brief pattern competition background, I find 3D to be the bigger challenge but probably mostly because it's newer to me and the learning curve is still there.

I'll have to dispell Thomas' "pattern ships are a bit harder to fly" myth. Some of the most forgiving, gentle, well-behaved airplanes I've ever flown have been dedicated pattern ships. They track smooth, treat you nicely in a non-aggravated stall, and are, by nature, neutrally stable. A drastically tail heavy 3D ship can be much more of a handful, particularly in "normal" flight modes.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Mar 20, 2004, 02:28 AM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,368 Posts
I think finding a good rhythm sets the good 3D flyers apart from the average ones. I personally find it difficult to string manuevers together in a graceful fashion. I suppose this comes with time and lots of video watching
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Mar 20, 2004, 02:38 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2003
2,116 Posts
Its flying 3D manuevers with pattern like precision thats the hardest. Throwing combinations of a picture perfect blender to the deck and pull into a harrier rolling circle 4 feet off the ground without missing a beat. Doing a complete 4 minute freestyle to MUSIC and the drum beats and lyrics can be very difficult.

Steven
Shortman is offline Find More Posts by Shortman
Old Mar 20, 2004, 02:40 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Realy depends on the aircraft like you said. I had no idea you flew compititon pattern, so i won't go agenst what you say. You got alot more experiance that i do!

My GWS formosa flew very nice. but haul back on the stick to much and she did roll over. It needed to be landed carefully, it wasn't realy hard to land, but i needed to keep the speed up and set her down easy, one one "harsh" landing, the speed snapped the fuse and tore the wing from the Fuse...

Just cause it's fast dosent meen it's hard to fly BTW. I have flown fast ships, and find they quite easy to fly. If your smooth and relaxed at the controls, it's dead easy.

I have yet to fly a "real" pattern ship, only electric ones so i will reserve further comments. Martin can probly fill in your qestions.

Martin also has a good point regarding 3D ships. His SX2 was one heckofa handfull! I got a chance to take my turn at the sticks recently. Altough it was well behaved, it was very very twichy and EXTRMELY powerfull. I handed the TX back after a few hair raseing muniuts and the first thing he said was "you been sweating on my TX havent you?" LOL

I set up my 3D ships with the CG just a tiny bit aft. Control throws are set to be reasonble. Altough i like crisp responce, realy wild 3D ships are quite hard to control. With a good CG and about 30-45 degree throws, most of my 3D ships are smooth and easy to fly. I also find alot of power makes a model slightly harder to control (this is probly just me, Martin seemed to be able to control his SX2 perfectly) While i was flying Martins SX2, i realy had to watch the power.

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Mar 20, 2004, 03:01 AM
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jul 2002
183 Posts
My 3d flying? all i do all day long is torque roll in my living room

took lots of practice just to learn hovering, torque rolling was hard to learn too.

Labrother is offline Find More Posts by Labrother
Old Mar 20, 2004, 05:49 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Doing anything with precision is hard thing to do be it 3D, Pattern, or even gliding.

3D manouvres are no harder to perform than traditional aerobatic manoeuvres or even trying to get a glider exactly on the spot precisely on time. It is all about precision which comes from nothing but skill and a heck of a lot of practice.

I agree with Martin about Pattern planes though. They are probably the best flying planes out there. Point and shoot, they are almost an extension of your sticks, you say move and it moves. I think you need a few more scale warbirds Thomas and then you'll really know the meaning of tipstall.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:37 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,974 Posts
Sometimes, getting a plane safely back on the ground when you maiden is the hardest thing to do in flying!! A myriad of things can either be set wrong or go wrong and then you have to quickly figure out how do I get out of this one. You may find yourself doing things even 3d pilots haven't done yet. Maybe that is how some of the manouvers developed in the first place.

Not being much of anything more than a very average park flyer, I just couldn't resist.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:45 AM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I think flying a scale routine with something like a Piper Cub, with scale amounts of power and dihedral is very hard. A perfect-scale Cub is not easy to fly, as they have little or no dihedral and will slip out of a turn or stall easily if you dont watch it. Pattern is very hard to fly and do it precisely, the ships themselves are not too hard to fly.
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:52 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
I think it all kind of depends on what level your flying each style. The more advanced 3d stuff is definetly more challanging than entry level pattern, but I saw a guy practicing pattern with his big Edge, and was totally amazed. One of the things I saw him do that looked really challanging was 270 degrees of a rolling circle with a set number of rolls (I think it was 3). I'm still having to much fun with 3D to start trying to learn a lot of pattern, but I have been trying to do some set # of roll rolling circles(mainly one roll), and its not real easy.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:14 AM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
3D flying is not as hard as 2D landings

Remember takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Mar 20, 2004, 01:54 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,860 Posts
The nice thing about 3D Ships is that they can fly like real airplanes too. Then if you get ahead of yourself, harrier them and slow them down.

That doesn't hold true with pattern planes sadly.

-Josh
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb