SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

RotorBits Modular Copter Frames

It's like building an erector set

Splash

Modular Copter Frames

RotorBits has a unique take on copter frames. They took inspiration from the standardized connections of Legos and Erector Sets and applied it to multi rotor frames. You can purchase a standard quad, tri, or hex frame and use other Bits to adapt the frames as much as your imagination allows.

The arms are carbon fiber and the parts are glass filled nylon which makes them durable. They have a unique zip-tie breakaway system for the landing gear which helps saves some parts in a crash. Basic frames start as just $29. Check them out at HobbyKing.

Discussion

Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:22 AM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
I'd say they took inspiration from the FliteTest RotorBones kits more than legos... cool conept overall for fun flying multirotors.
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:28 PM
What's the weather?
Joined Nov 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love nachos View Post
I'd say they took inspiration from the FliteTest RotorBones kits more than legos... cool conept overall for fun flying multirotors.
I agree but who wants a fluorescent multirotor?
leg0er is offline Find More Posts by leg0er
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2014
37 Posts
What would be nice is a micro size version of this. I've got a bunch of small motors that i wouldn't mind using on this.
Yogibara is offline Find More Posts by Yogibara
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2004
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibara View Post
What would be nice is a micro size version of this. I've got a bunch of small motors that i wouldn't mind using on this.
+1 for some micro options. Maybe a 5 mm squared system. I was still a sucker and picked up the tricopter kit.

Another hk hint. What about some unique (light weight) brackets for the esc's.

MWS
markws is offline Find More Posts by markws
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2013
216 Posts
Quote:
They have a unique zip-tie breakaway system for the landing gear which helps saves some parts in a crash.
How is that "breakaway" landing gear supposed to work?

In a crash, the forces on the gear will be to a side and/or upward. The landing gear arms are going to be supported by that teal plastic they are inserted into... so a crash is going to break the arm or the plastic piece, not the zip tie. Unless you happen to crash in a very creative way that somehow yanks a landing gear arm directly out along its axis.
ProtoX is offline Find More Posts by ProtoX
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:43 PM
United States, VA, Franklin
Joined Dec 2013
75 Posts
I am pretty sure I could find a creative way, just give me time.
Tazwell is offline Find More Posts by Tazwell
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2004
69 Posts
[QUOTE=ProtoX;27775827]How is that "breakaway" landing gear supposed to work?

I think the goal and purpose of the zip tie was simplicity. You shall snap the carbon boom prior to the zip tie breaking.

I brought the tricopter - being interested to check out the performance of the rear servo /motor system esp with the use of zip ties to hold on to the servo! Reasonably happy to date with the product and shall post a couple of pics shortly.

Key changes I have made was to cut the booms down so the MTM distance was 450mm. I have also reduced the height of the legs to compliment this modification. Now I am waiting on an additional motor- the one of the three purchase doesn't work -def QC failure.

I wonder when some new colours shall be arriving -as in the pics and vid.

MWS
markws is offline Find More Posts by markws
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:03 PM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
339 Posts
Rotorits arrived

Today the Rotorbits parts arrived from HK.

Feels sturdy and well made.

Its like Lego, 50 years ago I loved Lego.

First project will be a 332mm (13") TRI equipped with E-Max 2213 KV930 motors.

Bi copter will be the next flying thing.
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Last edited by Stenkryparen; Mar 24, 2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Size shrink t from 360mm to 332mm.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:25 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
339 Posts
My first Rotorbits TRI.

Maiden done, fly great!

The Yaw mechanics function weary well.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:27 AM
Joined Dec 2013
75 Posts
Can any of you guy elaborate a little more on the servo? Pros Cons?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:04 PM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
339 Posts
Only pros, until you have to fly in a sand storm, then the aluminium gears will not provide steering ability.

If servo is proper mounted there is no mesh. I used double sided thin tape, and one strap.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2013
75 Posts
Only pros, that sounds pretty good. Really good when many, on other models, find the servo linkage their biggest problem! Not recommended for sandy areas with high wind. I can live with that. Could you post an image of your servo tape and strap job? I do see the zip tie in the above image. Am I missing the tape? Might have the give the tri a go.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:37 AM
Get Airborne
Joined May 2012
339 Posts
Tape is between servo and the bottom surface on the yaw, not visable in the picture. Yesterday i flew 30 minutes highspeed, yaw function behaved realy good.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 01:55 PM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Jul 2001
466 Posts
Howdy Folks! Gabriel DeVault, inventor of Rotor Bits here. Just found this thread. The tri tail mechanism (still need a better name/acronym for that) is designed to have the servo mounted with a piece of thin foam tape or VHB between the servo and tray, and the mesh is controlled by how tight you make the zip-tie. I would also recommend a spot of grease or other lube in the bushing surface as well.

I am really interested to hear what you guys think about Rotor Bits. We will be sure to incorporate your feedback into future revisions and products.
g00bd0g is offline Find More Posts by g00bd0g