SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2001, 01:18 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Seeking Help Real Flight R/C Simulator Setup for VoyagerE and JRX388s Radio

Hi Everyone,

I plan on teaching myself how to fly Heli with only the help of ezone members and my flight simulator program. This should be possible Right? I'm all new to this heli thing and have no one to help in person. I do fly all kinds of Airplanes and drive a Losi Truck. Never touched a Heli though.

Can anyone send me some screen shots of how I might set my radio up and or the Flight Sim program(Real Flight G2). What Heli should I choose for the most realistic flight training. I have the printer port interface so I'm flying/crashing with my real radio and Virtual helis.

Any help would be appricated. Has anyone else done this? If so please tell me your story. This should be fun! Actually it's not right now as my Radio has so many features I'm Lost!!!Big time!!!

Let me get a few questions out the way first. I have my JR radio book open and can't believe all these options. I don't have a clue as to what most of them are suppose to do and when or how much there suppose to do it. Any examples would be good.

I have my basics down. My Throttle/Rudder Stick and Ailoron/Elevator are controlling the correct servos on my Virtual Heli.

Here are some Button Switches that I don't know when to use them. My Radio is the Airplane Version but I'm using it in Heli Mode.
Left Side of Radio Button/Switch/Knobs
1)Hovering Pitch Knob -

2)Trainer/Timer Switch - I doubt I'll be using this one. Maybe the timer but not now. One less switch to worry about right.

3)Flight Mode Switch
3a N-Normal
3b Stunt 1
3c Stunt 2/ AUX 3

4) Elevator Dual Rate Switch - I think I should leave this to OFF. I see no reason for using this one yet. One speed on the tail is good for now right?

5) Throttle Trim - This is just like on an airplane right? I shouldn't really have to mess with this. It's centered and the Throttle stick is Full Down and the Virtual Heli is Stationary with nothing spinning.

6) Throttle/Rudder Stick - Used for Engine Speed and Tail Right.

7) Rudder Trim - Centered.

Right Side of Radio Button/Switch/Knobs
11) Hovering Throttle Knob

12) Pitch Trim Knob

13) Throttle Hold Switch

14) Rudder Dual Rate/AUX 2 Switch

15) Aileron Dual Rate Switch - For the Main Blades to move Faster/Slower Left and Right.

16) Retract Gear/Inverted Mixing Switch - Seems Like I need to stay away from this one.

17) Elevator Trim - Centered

18) Elevator/Ailerons Stick Movement of main rotor blades..Forward,Backwards,Left, and Right.

19) Aileron Trim Centered.

This looks like it's going to be harder than I thought. Also, I plan on reading and learning alot before I actually build my Brand New Kit. So if anyone wants to possible buy it at a Discounted Rate just let me know. I have not Opened any of the Bags. Everything but the outer box is Factory Sealed. I think I need many more nights before I actually fly a real one. Let me know the cheapest price you can find the kit than I will see what I can do it for and just buy me another when I'm ready.

See ya here on the ezone...
-gerald
gbagley is offline Find More Posts by gbagley
Last edited by gbagley; Dec 20, 2001 at 01:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2001, 03:21 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hi,

I have a 388 and I still dont know what half the shi- does and when I tried to use some of it when I need it it didnt work right , mine is different than yours , though , mine flys all 3 aircraft , but it dont have any heli symbles on the radio , just airplane stuff , so it did take me a while to figure out how to use it on my voyager with ccpm , I had to send the radio off to get them to turn the ccpm on , didnt cost much , 5 bucks , shipping cost me 15 , but anyway what kind of heli you have , and I couldnt get my radio to run on my greatplanes sim. huh? Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Dec 20, 2001, 08:01 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
>>I have a 388 and I still dont know what half the shi- does and >>when I tried to use some of it when I need it it didnt work >>right , mine is different than yours , though , mine flys all 3 >>aircraft , but it dont have any heli symbles on the radio , just >>airplane stuff , so it did take me a while to figure out how to >>use it on my voyager with ccpm , We should have the same >>Radio.

Mine does the usual Airplane, Heli, Sail Plane...It's just I have the Airplane Version.

>>I had to send the radio off to get them to turn the ccpm on , >>didnt cost much , 5 bucks , shipping cost me 15 ,

I just got mine back also. Got the software upgrade too.

>>but anyway what kind of heli you have ,
JR VoyagerE

>>and I couldnt get my >>radio to run on my greatplanes sim. huh? Tony

When you plug the trainer/flight sim cord in the back does your radio come on even in the off position? Also, I copied one of the stock Helis and than Go to Aircraft=Edit=Look for Radio Type and Select My Own Computer Radio.
Next go to Options=Controller Calibtation=Those blus lines should move as you move the sticks.

Oh when you did the First install did you put in both the S/N of the software and little Adapter?

Hope this helps alittle.
-gerald
Old Dec 20, 2001, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey

yeh, my radio turns on , and yes I did everything else too , but I couldnt get the blue lines to responced, so I put another radio on there and now , its been 7 months since I used it and I lowned it out and the guy lost my cd , so I got to buy the newest version , the g2 , that might be the problem and it also says not to use a pcm radio , which you can run it in ppm mode huh?
but any way , you didnt say what heli you are going to use it on ,
Old Dec 20, 2001, 02:40 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Hey gbagley, I am trying to do the same thing as you..learn myself. There is gas heli flyers around here and I have talked with several of them at length, but they all are close-minded towards e-helis. Looks like I will be on my own. In fact, I only know of one other person that flys electric stuff in my area and he just has a Wingo.

I too am using RF G2 as my training ground. It took me a bit of tinkering to get it to work in Win XP with my old Futaba FM radio I am using in the transmitter joystick mode. I have yet to set up my 8103 in RF G2. I have been practicing on the Impala 30 without t-gear and can hover, transition to f-flight and fly circles around me..but I am finding it difficult to transition back to a hover without rapid up or down movements..but getting there!

I would like to edit one of the models to look and fly like the Voyager E, but nothing I have tried will even hover. I have tried diff motor settings, batteries and number of cells, weight of the airframe..etc.. but nothing flys. The little fixed-pitch electric heli that comes with the program is a joke. If that's really what fixed-pitch heli flying is all about then I will skip that part of the hobby! Have you had any luck setting up collective-pitch e-helis?

I was looking at getting a Voyager...but am too chicken to even order the kit until I am really good in G2!

Mike
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Dec 20, 2001, 09:12 PM
Central Texas
Joined Nov 2001
107 Posts
Gerald, I know this will sound strange, but if you want a good flyer for GP RealFlight G2, go to the web page, think it's "www.realflight.com" go to the download section and to the swap pages, there you will find a file for a Bergen Itrepid gasser, download and install this one!! It flies very well and is much smoother and less jerky than the others I've found so far..

Hope this helps
marauder is offline Find More Posts by marauder
Old Dec 20, 2001, 09:56 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Yea; pick one of the good flying helis like Marauder said. You can change the noise from the motor or turn it off completely. Turn off the exaust trail. No noise and no exaust=electric as far as the simulator knows. Worry about flying the thing. ( I wish I could )
Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Dec 20, 2001, 11:45 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
cactus

hey , a voyager huh? here , join the voyager club and learn before you get the kit , there is a ton of voyager hands here , and its just for the V , http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JRVoyagerE

and most of us on there has the V . hopped up and they will out drag most 30 size gas helis , its not stock either , but the gas guys just watch with there eyes wide open when you take off like a bat out of hel- , then is all these questions , and more questions , and somemore, then they will get one , Tony
Old Dec 22, 2001, 02:34 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
That Gasser Really flies Nice. Training for the JRVoyagerE

I d/l and installed it. It does fly really well. Very responsive. For a JRVoyagerE what is the Best Type of gyro to buy and why?

Will the V be as responsive as this gasser. When I gave it throttle it really took off.

While hovering I notice the tail shakes alot on my flight sim. Any ideas.

Also, what is the norm for hovering? 1/4, 1/2,3/4...throttle. I may have to adjust mine it(virtual gasser heli) doesn't leave the ground until 3/4 throttle.

I turned off the smoke and sound. It's getting better by the minute.
-gerald
Old Dec 22, 2001, 09:38 AM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
As far as the simulator you can now start playing around with the settings. For the tail shaking try turning down the gain on the gyro. As for the hover problem if you turn down the negative pitch on the sim you will get enough pitch to hover sooner. I think the gasser was setup with -12 and +14 pitch but for learning to hover I turned mine down to -1 and left the + alone.

Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Dec 22, 2001, 11:56 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Pitch...

As far as the simulator you can now start playing around with the settings. For the tail shaking try turning down the gain on the gyro. As for the hover problem if you turn down the negative pitch on the sim you will get enough pitch to hover sooner. I think the gasser was setup with -12 and +14 pitch but for learning to hover I turned mine down to -1 and left the + alone.

I turned the Inertia Pitch Down to 50%. Than the Heli was not acting what I thought was right. I came back to you post and looked for the -12 +14 and found it. Main Rotor Max and Min Collective Deflection!!! GOt it....Now Changed it and I do like the way the Heli is able to slightly fall downward while hovering. Then I add One Click thtottle and she climbs very slowly. I like the new setting of -1 on teh Min Collectice Deflection. While were on this topic...Will I be able to make all these changes on the voyager?
On to my Gyro / Tail shaking problem. My gasser has a Heading Hold Gyro Installed. Which one should I use I don't know which one is the best for me. Also my tail keeps moving to the left while hovering. I can adjust my Trib tab. However I would like to leave it centered. What else can I do to fix this.

As always thanks,
-gerald
Old Dec 22, 2001, 12:07 PM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Fixed the Tail Problem

I went into my real computer radio and added some Left Rudder to 20 this stopped the heli from turning as I gave a little throttle. Also the shaking has just about gone.

Now it's time to see if I can fly until the gas/batt runs out.

-gerald