HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2001, 11:34 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Santa brought me an Accord from NESAIL what next!

I just picked up....ummm I mean received a beautiful Accord for Christmas. The specs are wing span 32", wing area 280 sq in, weight 21 oz wing loading 11 oz/sq ft, Speed 480 and size 7-8 cells, per NESAIL.

I presently have two 8 cell kr-1700 ae from my Zagi 400x and two 8 cell 600ae packs. Could I use them in the plane? Any recommendations? Sounds like the cp1300's are popular. Additionally, I would like to replace the stock 480 setup with something approaching 3d. The 3d setup recommended by NESAIL is the Kontronik 150 system, which is a FUN400-21 motor and Smile 30-6-12 speed control for 194.95. How many cells would that need? 10?

Additionally they recommend using the hs-55 servos. Wouldn't the hs-81 be better?

Can't wait to fly!!
Fast-Forward is offline Find More Posts by Fast-Forward
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2001, 11:56 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,421 Posts
That tail moment looks awfully big for the size of the wing. Though it looks really fun. They should change the name to "Super Happy Fun Machine"

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2001, 11:19 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,341 Posts
THe drive 150 with a 7-4 and 8x1300CP will do very nice (blow the doors off stock that is). I ran mine on 8x800AR and a graupner 7.5x4 folder and it had good vertical perfromance.

I said 'ran' as an errant prop on takeoff climb of about 60 deg. and it all came crashing down. Repairable though.

Beef up the gear or else rip a mount loose. Set it up with flaperons and run about 20 deg. flap for landings and couple the flaps to elevator for instant loops

Roll rate is really nice. The main sticking point with me was the gear mount and wire.

Have fun!

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is online now Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Dec 20, 2001, 12:07 PM
Crete, NE. USA
Joined Jul 2001
259 Posts
That's a pretty hot plane!
Definitly funfly (3d) marerial!
Yes, I agree with you the hs81 would be better!

Fast-Forward who make it?

Don
DonH is offline Find More Posts by DonH
Old Dec 20, 2001, 12:20 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,490 Posts
Batteries - You may have to do surgery to fit the 1700 pack in. The 600s will fit fine. I've got one from an earlier run that came with a S400. I've been playing with different props to get something I like - I'm down to about an 8x5 and getting reasonable flight times (the supplied prop pulled 15 amps static, which is a bit more than I like to run S400's at). My times are around 5 minutes and it'll loop from level flight but I'm about to try a 480 or a cobalt motor.

Servos - The 55's are fine - you will need extensions for the elevator and rudder servos and a Y-cable for the aileron ones. The mounts are cut for them. I suppose if you put 81's in the back for the elevator and rudder, you could stuff the 1700 pack under the motor and get it to balance.

For the first flight, set the aileron deflection at about half what they recommend or put a lot of differential (make that expotential) into the ailerons. My first flight, set up as recommended, was a heart stopper - I could do a decent roll with just the aileron trim.
On high rates, this thing will roll like nobody's business - advantage of a short wing. Don't expect it to be a speed demon - the airfoil is too thick.
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Last edited by gnofliwr; Dec 20, 2001 at 02:23 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 01:20 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
Hey, what time zone are you in that Santa has already delivered

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Dec 20, 2001, 01:33 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,341 Posts
Oh - sorry - yes the HS-55 is a perfect fit. 600AE would probably do fine on the stock setup, but for any serious 3D power you need a better cell.

DOn't rely on the battery door to hold the pack in place - mine broke loose on a ROG and the battery bounced against the ground and punctured the covering.

I added a 3/8" piece of square hardwood stock to the front gear mount. This is the weak link. This is just inside the battery compartment and is in fron of the gear wire.

Have fun!

Steve McBride
Old Dec 20, 2001, 02:23 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,694 Posts
I'd put in a vote for the Mega 22/10/6. Coupled with a Jeti controller, they're under $150 at Icare. This is a torquey motor- no gearbox required and they weigh the same as the 480. I'm still playing with props on mine in an Edge 540- a touch smaller- all up weight 24 oz with a 7 cell CP 1300 pack. So far an 8 x 4 is good, but I think I'm going to try a little bigger- won't go pure vertical on takeoff, but it is nice to throw a roll in on the way up.

Oh yeah- the HS 55s are fine in my airplane.

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Dec 20, 2001, 03:02 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Time zone...

Its here. It's wrapped and Im waiting to open. I would like to open it up. When I do, there will be pictures from the box to the bench to the air. I have also purchased the Hi-tech Flash 5x setup for this plane. And I'm still searching for a reliable East Coast battery supplier. Thanks for all the great responses so far.

As far as the manufacture is don't know, all NESAIL says is its made in Europe. This is a built up balsa kit. So, When its opened I'll have more details.
Old Dec 25, 2001, 09:50 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Well here it is!!!

I finally received the Accord (as a Christmas present from my Dad, Thanks Dad!). It arrived in a brown corrugated box. Upon opening the kit, I was impressed. All of the contents was wrapped and taped in place.

Kit contents:
Wing (3 piece)
Fuselage
Stab and elevator
Fin and rudder
Instructions
1 U shaped wire for elevator
11 inch prop
9x6 prop
400 with gear reduction size ?
2 main wheels
2 wheel retainers
1 tail skid
4 control horns
1 pair of landing gear struts
2 1/32" steel pushrods for elevator
1 screw to hold wing to fuse
2 1/32" steel pushrods for ailerons
1 canopy

First the fuselage (covered and taped in bubble wrap) then the horizontal stab and rudder (in its own plastic bag, four parts altogether). Then the wing, which was also wrapped and taped in bubble wrap. The additional parts were taped to the sides of the box. I'm impressed all the parts seem to be very well made and detailed. The landing gear seem to be a little weak. But, that's what seems to be a common complaint. The control surfaces are huge. On the wings you have a hair under 3x13 1/2" of control surface per wing. On the elevator you have 2 1/2" at the outer tip to about 3 1/2" x 7 1/2" in length per side. The rudder is area is 2" at the top to 3 3/4" at the bottom with a 6" overall length. The wings are 31 3/4" in width and has a carbon spar that runs the length. Its located 2 1/2" from the leading edge. The wing is excellent. Very clean and very well covered. Seams are very good and overall covering is very taught.

The fuselage is 30" in length. It is also well made and covered nicely. All in all I'm impressed so far. Delivery, contents, and quality all very good. The kits instructions indicate Airwise International. They have a url printed on it but, unfortunately it's no good. The directions seem pretty straight forward. It has 5 two sided pages one with diagram of the plane and battery configuration.

Also I picked up the Hitec Flash 5x radio for this kit. It has four hs-81's and 555 micro five channel. How about some smoke or retracts.... We'll I start in on it tomorrow.

For Hi res pictures:

http://24.60.53.203/Aircraft/images/accord/
Old Jan 02, 2002, 02:34 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2001
18 Posts
Looks like fun! The covering looks perfect. Did nesail tell you it was going to be red when you ordered it?

I've been looking at the accord for a while. I was thinking the hs55's were too big for the tail and too weak for the ailerons. I have a couple hs55's I could use for it. Does it look like they would be okay in the tail?

I would also like to know how long it actually takes to build it. Are the instructions clear and specific. I am a bit of a perfectionist. I spent about 14 hours on a pico stick FD, and just recently about 30 hours on a popfly (largely due to no covering experience and my indecisiveness on where to put things).

later,
Tom
TFlier is offline Find More Posts by TFlier
Old Jan 04, 2002, 05:49 PM
flying in the rain....
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2002
349 Posts
I just flew my Accord for the first time yesterday.

I've got one of the early ones (like your pict from NESAIL's site) with the shorter wing.

Sal tells me there getting an Accord II with a longer wing, which would defiantly slow the approach speeds down.

Mine is flying with all MPX MS-X3 servos, speed 480 @2.3:1 with a 9x7 prop on 8 600AE cells

It's a blast to fly!

I beefed up my landing gear a bit.

It will do most of the maneuvers in the book, it didn't seem to have "AWESOME" vertical, but it was more then fine, hard to tell I was flying in 10+ MPH wind and rain

Iím going to try and get some video of it on my site this weekend

Have fun
dave_beardsley is offline Find More Posts by dave_beardsley
Old Jan 04, 2002, 06:21 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,341 Posts
How much slower do you need?

WIth it setup with 'flaperons' and flaps dropped about 20 deg. on approach, the thing will slow to a brisk walking pace quite literally in my experience.

Give it a try - you'll be surprised!

Steve
Old Jan 04, 2002, 06:58 PM
flying in the rain....
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2002
349 Posts
Ahh yes... agreed

I was thinking the exact same thing! I already programmed it into my radio.

I'm going to wait for less RAIN for the next test flight!

I think the larger wing will fly better. Sal's going to send me one so I'll find out.
dave_beardsley is offline Find More Posts by dave_beardsley
Old Jan 04, 2002, 07:33 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,341 Posts
I mixed in some down elevator with mine as it will tend to pitch up when you drop flap. With my JR XP-652, all I have is a switch for my flap - no nice variable knob so the pitch up can happen abruptly.

Take it a bit at a time and if you can get a good aileron differential, I would go for that as you really don't want too much down deflection on an flaperon when extended as funky things start to happen at extreme angles.

With the flaps down and a brushless kontronik on 8x800AR, the thing would honestly ROG in a matter of a few feet, then raise the flaps and head skyward

I did call NESail and they offer damaged kits for a good discount - betcha can't guess what is damaged! Yep - rear stringers.....simple fix for sure.

The long wing sound like a good bet for better glide ratio, but I would imagine that fantastic roll rate would suffer.

Keep us informed and have fun!

Steve