SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2004, 06:23 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
Paint bleed under tape - How do you avoid

What's the best way you prevent the paint from bleeding under the tape when painting foam??

I'm using the blue painters tape for masking.

Ed
edkoz is offline Find More Posts by edkoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:11 PM
Joined Oct 2002
99 Posts
very light cotes at a 90degree angle
rcpilot20 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot20
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:43 AM
Elk Grove Village, IL
Joined Aug 2002
15 Posts
Be sure to burnish the edges down. I use an old prop to do this. Regards.
rcalfred is offline Find More Posts by rcalfred
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:17 PM
Casula n.s.w. Australia
Joined Jan 2004
12 Posts
Hi there i use what is called an edge tape it is a plastic tape 1/4 wide the blue one will do a 3" circle you just press this down firmly then you can put your masking tape up to this it is known by many names ie:cut tape because as you remove the tape it cuts the edge not drag the edge and paint will not wash under, the tape i use is 3M, 471,vinyl tape blue hope this helps
hawker3119 is offline Find More Posts by hawker3119
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:24 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
I use the tape they sell for painting plastic models. Rather expensive, but it does give a sharp edge.
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Mar 22, 2004, 07:29 PM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
Bleeding

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Something else I learned is to put two thin coats of clear polycrylic on the tape line and then apply your color over that.

Remove the tape as soon as you're done painting. I used a small artists brush to apply the clear.

I've attached a pic of the finished product.

Once again, THANKS for all your help.

Ed
edkoz is offline Find More Posts by edkoz
Old Apr 01, 2004, 10:07 AM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,571 Posts
what I do is tape the model, then hit the edge of the tape with the same color that is underneath it. Then I paint the color over that.
MrMootsie is online now Find More Posts by MrMootsie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 08, 2004, 12:49 AM
Aztec, NM
Joined Mar 2004
8 Posts
I do what Tim Jonas does. The best part is that it forgives many flaws with your masking job. I use some blue painter's masking tape from Home Depot or Walmart and some red vinyl stuff that I stocked up on from Tower Hobbies many years ago.

Brad
fastang is offline Find More Posts by fastang
Old Apr 11, 2004, 08:15 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
You can also just spray the masked (tape) area with light coats of Testors clear coat from a can which seals up the tape edges. Jim Ryan turned me onto this after I pesetered him into telling me how he was able to achieve such great clean lines.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Apr 11, 2004, 06:24 PM
Connecticut
Joined Aug 2002
128 Posts
Different types of blue painter's tape

FWIW - Be careful with the blue painters tape. There are TWO grades of adhesive. One is low/low-medium and the tape appears to be a smooth "paper". The other is a medium adhesive and the tape has a textured/mottled appearance. If you are taping/masking over recently painted areas use the low/low-medium or you will pull up the underlying paint.
Campy is offline Find More Posts by Campy